Lam extends for 2021

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Lam extends for 2021

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors are pleased to announce a one-year extension for Adrian Lam as head coach for the 2021 season.

In 2020, Lam guided Wigan to its first League Leaders’ Shield since 2012, was named the Betfred Super League Coach of the Year and led the Club into its 11th Grand Final and an amazing match against St Helens at the culmination of a very difficult season for Rugby League and all sports.

In that stunning Grand Final, Lam became the first person in Super League to have both played for and been the head coach of the same team in Grand Finals.

Having been Wigan head coach for two years, he now leads an even stronger Wigan Warriors squad into 2021 with the intention and opportunity to win major trophies in his third year.

With 34 Super League wins from 52 games, Lam has a winning percentage of 65% since becoming Wigan boss at the start of 2019.

On signing a new deal, Lam said: “I’m really excited. It’s a massive honour for me to re-sign at this great club.

“It’s been a fantastic year overall. I’ve seen the team grow as a unit and winning the League Leaders’ Shield was a highlight, but we must go one better in 2021.

The squad has been strengthened each year since my arrival and, with the new players coming in and another year’s experience behind our hardened young players, we’re in a great position to take trophy-winning advantage of that.

“We have the opportunity to create a team environment for 2021 that’s steeled for action with speed to burn, making us a very difficult team to play against. We want teams to need to be at their very best to have a chance of beating us.

“In the Grand Final you could see how close knit our team was. That’s who we are now but we must, and can, get better to win those trophies. We’re looking forward to 2021 and to the excitement that a new Super League season promises.”

Wigan Warriors chairman, Ian Lenagan said: “Adrian has done well in the very difficult circumstances of season 2020.

“To win the Head Coach of the Year Award and the League Leaders’ Shield and to come so close to winning a great Grand Final is a good effort. But he knows we want more, and we think him well capable of that.

“He has a strong desire to take Wigan to a higher level, his ethos fits well with our ambitions and he is clearly enjoying his work and relishing the squad available to him in 2021.

“Every season presents different challenges and next year will be no different. The challenge for Adrian and his coaching team is to be better each year and I can’t wait for that and for a superb year for Super League and for Rugby league generally.

“We all deserve it.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/12/ ... -for-2021/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Lam extends for 2021

Post by josie andrews »

So happy with this news 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

+1, absolute madness to consider removing Lam IMO! Roll on 2021! Just need season tickets or club memberships as they are called now to be announced :).
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Good news, Happy with that
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Presumably this fits in with his own desire to eventually return home. He was only supposed to be here a year and bailed us out when the Edward’s fiasco unfolded but I am sure he would like to go home eventually as most overseas coaches do. Three years for any coach is enough anyway in my opinion.

Hopefully Wigan will be starting the search for his successor now.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

DaveO wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:52 pm Presumably this fits in with his own desire to eventually return home. He was only supposed to be here a year and bailed us out when the Edward’s fiasco unfolded but I am sure he would like to go home eventually as most overseas coaches do. Three years for any coach is enough anyway in my opinion.

Are you cp in disguise? 🤣🤣
bertina

Post by bertina »

josie andrews wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:14 pm So happy with this news 😊
+1 Well deserved in my opinion.
LLS, and within a whisker of a GF victory.
Seems to have nurtured a tight knit group.
Roll on next season. Just hope we can be back on the terraces for the start of it. 🏉🏉🍺🍺
bertina

Post by bertina »

DaveO wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:52 pm Presumably this fits in with his own desire to eventually return home. He was only supposed to be here a year and bailed us out when the Edward’s fiasco unfolded but I am sure he would like to go home eventually as most overseas coaches do. Three years for any coach is enough anyway in my opinion.

Be careful not to go overboard on the positivity eh Dave.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Good move I think. The team has improved year on year, we've retained the players we need to retain. We should be on the cusp of a championship season.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Plenty pleasantries but it's clear, deliver a big trophy next season or else.