Joe Burgess and Jack Wells leave Wigan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Joe Burgess and Jack Wells leave Wigan

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors can confirm that Joe Burgess and Jack Wells have both left the Club.

Making his debut for Wigan in 2013, Burgess played 129 games and scored 107 tries across two spells at his hometown club.

The 26-year-old winger played and scored in two Super League Grand Finals, before heading Down Under in 2016 where he had stints with Sydney Roosters and South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Returning to Wigan in 2017, Burgess became the second player in history to score a hat-trick in a World Club Challenge match as the Warriors beat Cronulla Sharks.

After making his Super League debut for Wigan in 2016, second rower Wells has been restricted to 18 first team appearances after numerous injury setbacks.

The 23-year-old, who had loan spells at Swinton Lions and Toronto Wolfpack, is an Academy Grand Final winner with the Warriors and has also represented England Academy.

Wigan Warriors executive director, Kris Radlinski, said: “Everyone at Wigan Warriors would like to thank Joe and Jack for their efforts during their time at the Club and wish them both well in the next stages of their careers.

“They have both represented the Club with honour and leave as very popular guys. Our doors will always remain open for them should they ever wish to pay us a visit.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/12/ ... ave-wigan/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Re: Joe Burgess and Jack Wells leave Wigan

Post by Barney841 »

Could be a mistake letting burgess leave. Yes he was a shadow of his former self when he came back from the NRL and I think he took his spot for granted. But when he was dropped for marshy and dom, I think he had abit of a reality check and pulled his finger out. Looked solid in his last games
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Got rid of the wrong Burgess?Does this mean the medical staff have confidence Dom will be ok?
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

pearsy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:31 pm Got rid of the wrong Burgess?Does this mean the medical staff have confidence Dom will be ok?

George will just sit back and take the money if he’s crocked. No good for Wigan but can’t say I blame him if his days playing are numbered
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:08 pm
pearsy wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:31 pm Got rid of the wrong Burgess?Does this mean the medical staff have confidence Dom will be ok?

George will just sit back and take the money if he’s crocked. No good for Wigan but can’t say I blame him if his days playing are numbered
I imagine he'll do all his rehab and training, and take the money. Unless you're suggesting that it was his plan to get a big contract and have a handy injury so he doesn't have to do anything?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I've made it clear I personally think that Joe is a shadow of his former self. That said, if we have further injuries to Dom or Liam or indeed if their rehab isn't successful, it could present a problem.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Mike wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:26 pm
Barney841 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:08 pm

I imagine he'll do all his rehab and training, and take the money. Unless you're suggesting that it was his plan to get a big contract and have a handy injury so he doesn't have to do anything?
Not suggesting that at all. What I mean is he will be no rush to leave if he plays or not.
No one will want him if he’s knackered
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:47 pm Could be a mistake letting burgess leave. Yes he was a shadow of his former self when he came back from the NRL and I think he took his spot for granted. But when he was dropped for marshy and dom, I think he had abit of a reality check and pulled his finger out. Looked solid in his last games
And in fairness only his last games..looked a shadow of his former self and a few games at the tail end of his time didn't change things for a player with that much talent, he should have been a world beater I just cant put my finger on what or where he went wrong.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:42 pm
Barney841 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:47 pm Could be a mistake letting burgess leave. Yes he was a shadow of his former self when he came back from the NRL and I think he took his spot for granted. But when he was dropped for marshy and dom, I think he had abit of a reality check and pulled his finger out. Looked solid in his last games
I know what you mean. I do think gilly played a little part in it though. Gilly was never one for creating space on the outside for Joe. Gilly more than often tries to beat the defender himself

And in fairness only his last games..looked a shadow of his former self and a few games at the tail end of his time didn't change things for a player with that much talent, he should have been a world beater I just cant put my finger on what or where he went wrong.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Unless we plan to play bevan on the wing then i think we need to sign a winger....... dom still not fully recovered from his oos( imo) and liam is still recovering....... i like bibby as a centre but too slow for a winger for me........ im sure lammy is fully aware what we need and i totally expect a winger to be top of the shopping list( even before the rumoured other prop)
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE