John Bateman is in the Building

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

John Bateman is in the Building

Post by josie andrews »

Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Re: John Bateman is in the Building

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I still have to pinch myself that he is coming back. What a player!
josie andrews

Re: John Bateman is in the Building

Post by josie andrews »

Bateman: Good to be back

John Bateman discusses his return to Wigan Warriors for the 2021 season.

Bateman: “When this opportunity came up and I spoke to Rads about it, I bit his hand off for it.”

Watch the full interview on Wigan TV.

After two years in the NRL, John Bateman is happy to be home and excited to pull on the Cherry and White jersey once again.

Speaking to Wigan TV this week, the 27-year-old discussed his time abroad, his excitement for 2021 and plenty more.

The Englishman was an undoubted success Down Under, getting to a Grand Final and being named the Dally M second rower of the year in 2019 when representing Canberra Raiders.

“It’s been a good adventure to be fair,” he said. “It’s different, I always knew that, but I’ve made some good memories and some good mates along the way.

“It’s been two years that I won’t forget. I’ve enjoyed playing rugby over there, enjoyed the lifestyle too.”

However, once the offer to return home became a possibility, Bateman saw it as one he couldn’t refuse.

“When this opportunity came up and I spoke to Rads about it, I bit his hand off for it.”

With the 2021 season set to start in March, the Bradford-born forward is excited to get back to work with the talented youngsters who have emerged since his departure.

“I always made sure to watch the games when I could with the time difference.

“It’s been good to see lots of the younger lads get a chance, who I’d seen a little bit of before I left.”

Hear more from Bateman as he talks about his time Down Under, his excitement on the current Wigan squad and his thoughts on Robin Park Arena and the Club’s new badge.

To experience a full interactive display of exciting content that helps to bring our new badge and its story to life, visit our badge microsite now.

Be among the first fans to get your hands on the new look by checking out our 2021 hummel replica kits, training range and travel wear in our online store.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2020/12/ ... o-be-back/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan