Greenwood Departs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Greenwood Departs

Post by nathan_rugby »

First Try Tickle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:34 pm Its funny how he returned for the grand final after suspension but then not in the plans for next year. I know Bateman is back, but I would still want a big player like greenwood playing.

I know most wouldn't agree, but I think he gives more to the team than Isa.
Does he give more than Isa when you compare injury records, game time etc?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

First Try Tickle wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:34 pm Its funny how he returned for the grand final after suspension but then not in the plans for next year. I know Bateman is back, but I would still want a big player like greenwood playing.

he gives more in attack but a lot less in defence
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

He only played in the Grand Final because Flower and Havard were injured.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:37 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:10 am
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:05 am One that could potentially bite us in the backside.
Maybe but its a salary capped sport so that must have played a factor + Greenwood may see his opportunities dwindling with Farrell, Isa, Bateman likely to make up the most minutes in the 11, 12, 13 slots.

Would have prepared the following to depart first though to free up space:
Hankinson, Navarette, Jake Shorrocks, Mitch Clarke.
Let’s see who comes in.
Bateman surely?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:39 pm

Not a chance,Isa is a workhorse yea but one who’s there every game sadly for whatever the reason the same couldn’t be said of Greenwood.

I wish him well though
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think it's a hard one at times this. I must admit overall, I've always thought Greenwood offered more than Isa on his day (regardless of Greenwood's injury history). I think Isa has always been a squad player at best, until the GF. The grand final changed my whole outlook on Isa who I thought had an immense game.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:39 pm

And, even without the durability, the criticism of Isa as a workhorse ignores the way he "leads the line" in defence - a major, major factor in us finishing top, and in our best performances imo.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Isa is in the team because he is relentless in defence, as are Partington and Smithies. He brings enthusiasm and desire to the team. However, he offers little in attack which for me is why Faz and Batty are ahead of him and they should be in the second row. Isa, in my view, is not a middle and consequently he wouldn’t make my starting line up if everyone is fit. His versatility may get him a place on the bench.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

nathan_rugby wrote:
Caboosegg wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:05 am One that could potentially bite us in the backside.
Maybe but its a salary capped sport so that must have played a factor + Greenwood may see his opportunities dwindling with Farrell, Isa, Bateman likely to make up the most minutes in the 11, 12, 13 slots.

God knows why anyone would put Isa in before Greenwood.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

DaveO wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:59 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:

God knows why anyone would put Isa in before Greenwood.
He's more consistent and better in defence?