New squad numbers announced

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
lucky 13

Re: New squad numbers announced

Post by lucky 13 »

I think centre in D is the hardest position to read. Most teams put their plays on against edges hoping for a misread or to get a number advantage.
The GF with Gildart playing with one arm and Burgess with a broken jaw effectively took away our left edge sharpness in attack but more importantly in the hard yards department.
Gildart was so good in D you didn't notice he was injured.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I like Partington at loose he reminds me of a chris heightington/paul gallen style 13 and i think that actually suits the way we play.

Centre D relies on a partnership with a winger you need consistency in those positions so they can read eachothers movements
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Centre D does rely on partnership but more than just wing you normally have an half along with a second row defending the edge as a unit. Often the real stretch points are aimed at the centres reaction. Obviously being able to tackle is massive at centre but if you can't read what you need to defend then that's not going to matter. Attack wise you need to keep throwing out questions It's that reading what plays being thrown at you that separates the best.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

According to Wigan Today Hankinson and Navarette may be off to London. Surely that does not clear enough cap space for a decent prop though.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Levrier wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:14 pm According to Wigan Today Hankinson and Navarette may be off to London. Surely that does not clear enough cap space for a decent prop though.
Wouldn't have thought so, good move for them to get regular game time and with respect, not a huge loss at all IMO.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I read somewhere recently that we arnt strengthening the squad....... surely we need another winger
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Levrier wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:14 pm According to Wigan Today Hankinson and Navarette may be off to London. Surely that does not clear enough cap space for a decent prop though.
How much do you think they’re on each?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Firestarter wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:20 pm I read somewhere recently that we arnt strengthening the squad....... surely we need another winger
Unless we offload someone first it said
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:01 pm
They will be on a decent screw however, Naverrette is not in the 2021 squad so there won’t be any saving on the salary cap if he leaves permanently. Jake Shorrocks is off contract and I can’t believe that Greenwood’s move will not have freed up some cap space. The bigger issue may be where do we find a decent prop or winger.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:44 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:01 pm
They will be on a decent screw however, Naverrette is not in the 2021 squad so there won’t be any saving on the salary cap if he leaves permanently. Jake Shorrocks is off contract and I can’t believe that Greenwood’s move will not have freed up some cap space. The bigger issue may be where do we find a decent prop or winger.
Why include them in the squad numbers if they aren’t in the 2021 squad ?