New squad numbers announced

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: New squad numbers announced

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I only have 2 concerns, both Burgess related, about that squad. Who is our back up winger now J Burgess has left - Hanley? What is the position with G Burgess? Either he can recover fully, in which case excellent, as he is a fantastic player, or he can’t in which case he must retire...
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

Back up wingers will presumably be Bibby, Halsall or Hanley. Maybe Hardaker to wing and Isa at centre if it's just a one off. Not great depth but I think generally you're better off having more depth in the pack than lots of depth in the backs but being short in the pack.

If the numbers are simply meant to be a reflection of how players did the previous year then I think Partington is unlucky to miss out on a first 13 squad number and Havard would be worth a shirt in the top 17 - although maybe that's a case of not raising expectations too soon.

I also think Smith at 20 and Field straight in at 6 is odd given we used to give new signings numbers outside the 17. I hope it's not a sign that Field is just going to leapfrog Smith in the pecking order. Smith has work to do but has shown improvement in his game over time. Field hasn't proven anything anywhere yet.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Be interesting to see if Burgess turns out in his 16 shirt this season.

Don't really think squad numbers highlight too much these days. Burgess, Clark and Hankinson all have numbers but are strongly rumoured to retire or told they can leave.

Has Navarette been released officially? I didn't expect him to return but I thought he was only out on loan.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Field in at 6 is surprising. Other than that not too much is not what we'd expect. G Burgess is now 16 which is unsurprising.
How they take to the field will be the interesting one. So who is going to partner Jacko at half back, Field? I can't see that. Surely Field has to start as he and Smith could be our only two half backs come 2022. I'd start Jai on the left wing with Marshall not being fit by March. Come 20-25 from full time move him to half back to use his exceptional pace against tiring forwards and half backs.
Whether we sign another prop or not we've still some big boppers in the squad. Bullock, Byrne, Kilner and maybe Singleton are pretty big and could be considered starting props.
The rest of the squad selects itself really.
MadMaxWarrior

Post by MadMaxWarrior »

I still think we need another prop. Presuming we go 3 on the bench Partinton,Havard being 2.

Clubb only plays short minutes makes little metres.
Burgess ever since his debut look like he can hardly walk nevermind run
Clark wont play

I am looking forward to seeing Singleton with a pre season behind him. Considering he came in last Season without playing majority of the season he did well
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:59 pm Field in at 6 is surprising. Other than that not too much is not what we'd expect. G Burgess is now 16 which is unsurprising.
How they take to the field will be the interesting one. So who is going to partner Jacko at half back, Field? I can't see that. Surely Field has to start as he and Smith could be our only two half backs come 2022. I'd start Jai on the left wing with Marshall not being fit by March. Come 20-25 from full time move him to half back to use his exceptional pace against tiring forwards and half backs.
Whether we sign another prop or not we've still some big boppers in the squad. Bullock, Byrne, Kilner and maybe Singleton are pretty big and could be considered starting props.
The rest of the squad selects itself really.
We won’t be starting with Field on the wing and moving him to half back mid game. That just isn’t good tactics or strategy.

You would either need a winger on the bench (waste of a spot) or lots of shuffling around to accommodate.

In today’s game you need 4 forwards in the bench or at best a half back that will enable a change at 9 if your hooker can’t go the 80 or you prefer bringing on a different style or hooker (slowly leaving the game).
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Based on the GF when Budgie went off, maybe Zak on the wing - Field in the centre and Hastings back where he should be.
I'd be more concerned about replacing Lockers permanently to have a consistent game plan now that he won't be in the wings waiting to return, which seemed to influence the thinking last season. Smithies needs to show he can mature - Partington would be a waste at 13 - I'm assuming that Bateman's shirt number has no connection with his playing position . We seemed to be tinkering with trying Farrell in the second half last season but we have no Greeenwood to come on in his place. Lucky we've got a coach who thinks deeply about these things - I'm sure he'll come up with a solution. Perhaps George Burgess could be the answer, although it would have to be a strange question for him to be the answer.
I assume that Harry Smith will go out on loan or get fed up and move to Huddersfield or somewhere like that.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:15 am Based on the GF when Budgie went off, maybe Zak on the wing - Field in the centre and Hastings back where he should be.
I'd be more concerned about replacing Lockers permanently to have a consistent game plan now that he won't be in the wings waiting to return, which seemed to influence the thinking last season. Smithies needs to show he can mature - Partington would be a waste at 13 - I'm assuming that Bateman's shirt number has no connection with his playing position . We seemed to be tinkering with trying Farrell in the second half last season but we have no Greeenwood to come on in his place. Lucky we've got a coach who thinks deeply about these things - I'm sure he'll come up with a solution. Perhaps George Burgess could be the answer, although it would have to be a strange question for him to be the answer.
I assume that Harry Smith will go out on loan or get fed up and move to Huddersfield or somewhere like that.
How often have you seen Field play centre or how often has he played centre ?

Partington wasted at 13? He’s played some of his best rugby there in the last few months. It’s now a hybrid between prop and second row.

George Burgess has only ever played prop, he will be nothing to do with what happens with “replacing” Lockers.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

How often do we assume because of squad numbers??? Hastings at 31??? OMG hes not gonna be a starter...... come on guys it dont mean anything really in the modern game........ granted its a pity because i prefer the old way tbh
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE