Wigan Warriors duo linked with London Broncos

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors duo linked with London Broncos

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan duo Chris Hankinson and Romain Navarette have been linked with a move to London Broncos.

The Championship outfit, which has a full-time squad, are thought to want them on board for 2021.

Both are under contract with Wigan but may move on to secure regular first-team action. Centre Hankinson, 27, played just three matches for Wigan last season.

But since signing from Swinton in 2018 he has proved himself at Super League level, and is an excellent goal-kicker.

If he does leave Wigan, it is unclear whether it would be permanently or on loan. He is behind first-choice centres Zak Hardaker and Oliver Gildart, while Wigan also have Jake Bibby and youngster Sam Halsall in their squad.

Frenchman Navarette spent last season on loan at Wakefield. He has not been given a squad number at Wigan next season - a clear indication his future lies elsewhere.

The ex-Catalans prop, 26, won a Grand Final with the Warriors in ‘18 but slipped down the pecking order the following year.

There is no reserve league next year, and the option of dual-registration – week-to-week loans – has been shelved due to Covid-19 precautions.

For that reason, other players on the fringes may depart – either permanently or on loan. They may include halfback Jake Shorrocks and prop Mitch Clarke.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... os-3073133
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Levrier

Re: Wigan Warriors duo linked with London Broncos

Post by Levrier »

Good luck to them. I imagine that Hank would love to get some game time. He has been overlooked unfortunately.
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

Levrier wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:23 am Good luck to them. I imagine that Hank would love to get some game time. He has been overlooked unfortunately.
He is understudy to Zak at right centre. Zak has an outstanding year and hence why Hank played only 3 games.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Very clear that Wigan are going to go with a smaller squad this time round so no room for those not considered first team have to be moved on ASAP
Last edited by fozzieskem on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Tricky Dicky1 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 6:03 pm
Levrier wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:23 am Good luck to them. I imagine that Hank would love to get some game time. He has been overlooked unfortunately.
He is understudy to Zak at right centre. Zak has an outstanding year and hence why Hank played only 3 games.
Haha Hankinson is not an understudy to Hardaker.

He’s a back up that isn’t good enough. As deemed by two coaches.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:53 pm

Agreed! Can't understand why fans are aggrieved that Hankinson is overlooked.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

My issue was that we brought in another player who offered no more in that centre position and who did not have the ability to kick goals. Ok Hankinson is no winger but that was not an issue at the time. I agree that neither of them offer what we have at present at centre but it always seemed a bit arbitrary that Hankinson did not get more game time when it was a toss up between Bibby and him. It is a shame that at the time we signed Hank Leigh were letting several other players go who went on to have much more impact in SuperLeague. I always get the feeling that we missed the boat.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Levrier wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:44 am My issue was that we brought in another player who offered no more in that centre position and who did not have the ability to kick goals. Ok Hankinson is no winger but that was not an issue at the time. I agree that neither of them offer what we have at present at centre but it always seemed a bit arbitrary that Hankinson did not get more game time when it was a toss up between Bibby and him. It is a shame that at the time we signed Hank Leigh were letting several other players go who went on to have much more impact in SuperLeague. I always get the feeling that we missed the boat.
Two coaches in a row have chosen not to play Hankinson at either centre or second row. That says enough for me.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:03 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 8:53 pm

Agreed! Can't understand why fans are aggrieved that Hankinson is overlooked.
I can only put it down to them loving an underdog
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Levrier wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:44 am My issue was that we brought in another player who offered no more in that centre position and who did not have the ability to kick goals. Ok Hankinson is no winger but that was not an issue at the time. I agree that neither of them offer what we have at present at centre but it always seemed a bit arbitrary that Hankinson did not get more game time when it was a toss up between Bibby and him. It is a shame that at the time we signed Hank Leigh were letting several other players go who went on to have much more impact in SuperLeague. I always get the feeling that we missed the boat.
Which players from Leigh were those?