Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by Charriots Offiah »

superleague wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:30 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:52 am
superleague wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:57 pm

Stupid comment.
I'm a self employed contractor so i would have to get fit and healed up if injured or well if i was ill.
I'd simply have no income if i wasn't fit or well to work.

I'm simplifying the situation and i get why he wouldn't want to retire, but that just stems from frustration of having a player clearly unfit to play and taking a huge amount of our cap space.
Its a crappy situation all round.
I don’t think so. What is stupid is your announcement that he is finished and should retire. Unless your name is Professor Brooks or you are GB’s personal doctor I simply don’t know how you are qualified to come to that decision. Now, you may be right but I don’t think your comment is based on medical facts, it is simply a layman’s view based on his performances and his injury record this season. Do you remember Doug Laughton? The same was said about him when Wigan signed him and he went on to captain the club and play for Great Britain. Give the lad a break and let the medical people, George and the Club come to the right decision. Hopefully, he will get fit and show us all how good he is.
Don't think anyone needs to be doctor to see how knackered his hip is!
Its well known down under that it is a chronic condition and it ain't going to get better.
Even rads said it was affecting him in everyday life FFS. I highly doubt he's just going to get fit, the lad probably needs a hip replacement and if so he is FINISHED.

Yes i am speculating as I am not GB or his doctor but with what I've read/heard its a chronic condition and he potentially needs a hip replacement.
I've nothing against the lad personally, just frustrated that we have huge chunk of cap sat in stands with no return on it.
I am not disputing that he has a problem but at the moment there is no evidence that he needs a new hip, unless I have missed this being announced? If I was in his position I would want to explore every option for resolving this problem. If he does need a new hip then it is likely that the rest of his life will be affected let alone his sporting career and for a guy in his prime years that is a tough choice. It must be his last option.

Regarding the signing of George, he had a medical in Australia and passed it with flying colours. I cannot see that happening if he had a ‘chronic condition’! Either that or the doctor carrying out the medical has been negligent and I just can’t see that either. Do you honestly think Wigan would have signed George if they had major concerns about his fitness/health?

I agree with you, it is frustrating to have George sat in the stands, I have no doubts that had he been fit we would have won the GF. I am sure that the Club and George will come to the right decision when they have all the information in their possession.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:53 pm
CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:20 pm
Nezza Faz wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:12 pm

Forgotten Clubby ;)
I think its a disgrace Clubb has lost his 8 jersey! Feel slightly aggrieved! What does Singleton offer? :lol:
Cue for a Pythonesque response:
"OK, I'll give you he's younger, plays more minutes, has aggression, go forward, and less injuries.....but apart from that, What has Singleton ever done for us?"
:lol:
bloody romans
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:33 am

I also have no connection with George Burgess nor am I in the medical profession, but I agree, as I've said on a different post, George has never looked comfortable all season (from start to finish and including weeks off in-between games attempting to return). It almost feels like the club have played 'trial and error' in trying to return George. Although it is speculation (medical, fitness, chronic injury), I think in this case there is no smoke without fire. Of course I hope he returns to full fitness and returns to his NRL form, but ALL things considered I think its a big ask. The speculation I read from Aus claiming that Burgess might need to retire hasn't helped too. If Burgess has successful surgery (to improve his normal day life), is it wise/safe to expose himself to risk? Fingers crossed for the lad!

Singleton, Partington, Bullock, Byrne and Havard aren't too shabby though for next season
Forgotten Clubby ;)
I think its a disgrace Clubb has lost his 8 jersey! Feel slightly aggrieved! What does Singleton offer? :lol:
At least he’s fit & can play! And to think Ben Flower had his shirt number 10 took off him by, sadly, a player who clearly isn’t fit! 🤨 crazy.

Think anyone coming into the club should not be given a starting 13/17 shirt until they have proved themselves.

At least Singleton has proved himself worthy of the number 8 shirt 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:48 pm

Forgotten Clubby ;)
At least he’s fit & can play! And to think Ben Flower had his shirt number 10 took off him by, sadly, a player who clearly isn’t fit! 🤨 crazy.

Think anyone coming into the club should not be given a starting 13/17 shirt until they have proved themselves.

Many wont agree but id have personally given Ben another 12 month contract (especially after Toronto fell through) and taking into consideration Burgess and Byrne are not fit. Always gave 100% IMO
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:29 pm Regarding the signing of George, he had a medical in Australia and passed it with flying colours. I cannot see that happening if he had a ‘chronic condition’! Either that or the doctor carrying out the medical has been negligent and I just can’t see that either. Do you honestly think Wigan would have signed George if they had major concerns about his fitness/health?
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Did he have a medical? Who carried it out? How thorough was it?

Wigan DO have a history for signing inured players though. David Vaeliki / Sam and Joel Tomkins are perfect examples of players signed with a known injury problem at the time. Vaeliki from torn ankle ligaments, Sam from his knee and Joel with a back problem

Wigan (unfortunately) have form for this and it appears as though lessons are still not learned
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
pedro

Post by pedro »

We signed DV before he got injured to be fair
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:00 pm

Many wont agree but id have personally given Ben another 12 month contract (especially after Toronto fell through) and taking into consideration Burgess and Byrne are not fit. Always gave 100% IMO

I would rather have given Ben the two years instead of Tony Clubb if I’m honest.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Each to their own, and I know there are a range of views, but I would have sacked Flower after what he did to the club and the game (and Hohaia’s health). He would have gone to prison in other contexts.

As for Burgess, I like this statement, as it makes it clear that the club is seriously considering his retirement. It reassures those fans like me who look on and wonder what we are doing to get a grip on this. After the events around Tomkins’ self inflicted long term industry on massive wages, I hope the club has learnt lessons around contractual and insurance protection against long term injuries.

The ideal outcome of course is the real George Burgess in cherry and white smashing Saints, but it is clear from this that we will be getting expert opinion to see whether the right outcome is the end of the road for him.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:26 am Each to their own, and I know there are a range of views, but I would have sacked Flower after what he did to the club and the game (and Hohaia’s health). He would have gone to prison in other contexts.

As for Burgess, I like this statement, as it makes it clear that the club is seriously considering his retirement. It reassures those fans like me who look on and wonder what we are doing to get a grip on this. After the events around Tomkins’ self inflicted long term industry on massive wages, I hope the club has learnt lessons around contractual and insurance protection against long term injuries.

The ideal outcome of course is the real George Burgess in cherry and white smashing Saints, but it is clear from this that we will be getting expert opinion to see whether the right outcome is the end of the road for him.
you could go to prison for any high tackle if it wasnt on the pitch, to be fair Hohaia could have gone to prison for the elbow/forearm to the face of flower to spark it off
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Forgotten Clubby ;)

Bateman? Personally, I don’t think shirt numbers mean a lot.