Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
CheshireWarrior
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by CheshireWarrior » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:54 pm

medlocke wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:41 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:15 pm
Punched a man whilst down on the floor and not defending himself. Can’t be excused. Everyone should give up trying to explain otherwise.
Where has anybody excused him, Fact is Hohaia reaped what he sowed, Flower shouldn't have punched him a second but SKY shouldn't have played it up so much by cutting out the elbow or by only showing it in slow motion, It was bad but no way as bad as SKY made it look
Couldn't agree more! Wigan stood by Flower for a reason, seem to recall Hohaia coming out in support of Flower too (regarding potential criminal investigations). No one condoned his actions BEN INCLUDED! It is possibly justified in saying his sending off might have cost us the GF victory but, for my money, the man came back and served us well for many a season (excluding his injury record which people like to slate). Can think of a few front rows he has outshone in his time too. All of sudden now Ben has gone, he should have served a spell in the nick! Utter Shite!

fozzieskem
Posts: 3523
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 10:54 am

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by fozzieskem » Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:21 pm

Flower did a heat of the moment, sadly career defining split second action, the club acted swiftly and stood by the RFL ban.

He came back bar the injuries did pretty well over the years sad we fans never got to say goodbye to the lad on the pitch though but it is correct that hes gone now, Clubb should have been another one on his way at the end of last season.

User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 3079
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by Firestarter » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:17 pm

Charriots Offiah wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:34 pm
medlocke wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:58 pm
Firestarter wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:09 pm
yea he did it in a split second....... the extra slow motion replays make it a lot worse........ beni deserved an extension with his effort
It's funny how you only ever see the incident in slow motion and without Hohaia's vicious elbow attack which make it so controversial, Just how the media like it
Benny should have gone down, Hohaia sent off, Wigan win with a cricket score.
But then he would be a cheat....... let them cheat and win if they want.
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE

User avatar
Firestarter
Posts: 3079
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by Firestarter » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:18 pm

CheshireWarrior wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:54 pm
medlocke wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:41 pm
nathan_rugby wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:15 pm
Punched a man whilst down on the floor and not defending himself. Can’t be excused. Everyone should give up trying to explain otherwise.
Where has anybody excused him, Fact is Hohaia reaped what he sowed, Flower shouldn't have punched him a second but SKY shouldn't have played it up so much by cutting out the elbow or by only showing it in slow motion, It was bad but no way as bad as SKY made it look
Couldn't agree more! Wigan stood by Flower for a reason, seem to recall Hohaia coming out in support of Flower too (regarding potential criminal investigations). No one condoned his actions BEN INCLUDED! It is possibly justified in saying his sending off might have cost us the GF victory but, for my money, the man came back and served us well for many a season (excluding his injury record which people like to slate). Can think of a few front rows he has outshone in his time too. All of sudden now Ben has gone, he should have served a spell in the nick! Utter Shite!
Well said
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE

Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 2052
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by Exiled Wiganer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:32 pm

I have always said that his actions tarred us so badly as a club and as a game (plus lost us a Grand Final), that he should never have played again. Clearly, he would have been in prison for the same act in other contexts, that is simply a statement of fact. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me, and I see the argument around “he served his time” and giving people a second chance.

In these particular circumstances, on balance I believe sacking him would have been the best thing for the club. He would of course have been able to play for anyone else having left the club. That is my opinion, just as I think it was appalling that Tomkins injured himself while drunk, and continued to be paid a fortune and then joined his brother in bringing further shame to the club. I am a bit of an absolutist and believe that the club’s reputation counts for a great deal, but can appreciate that others don’t think the same, and are no lesser fans as a result,

pedro
Posts: 4326
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by pedro » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:23 pm

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:32 pm
I have always said that his actions tarred us so badly as a club and as a game (plus lost us a Grand Final), that he should never have played again. Clearly, he would have been in prison for the same act in other contexts, that is simply a statement of fact. I don’t expect everyone to agree with me, and I see the argument around “he served his time” and giving people a second chance.

In these particular circumstances, on balance I believe sacking him would have been the best thing for the club. He would of course have been able to play for anyone else having left the club. That is my opinion, just as I think it was appalling that Tomkins injured himself while drunk, and continued to be paid a fortune and then joined his brother in bringing further shame to the club. I am a bit of an absolutist and believe that the club’s reputation counts for a great deal, but can appreciate that others don’t think the same, and are no lesser fans as a result,
didnt injure himself, someone injured him, if social media was around in the 80s and 90s a lot of people heroes may not be heroes now
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1857407490.png

Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 2052
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by Exiled Wiganer » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:27 pm

Pedro, you may be right about the 80s and 90s (though I suspect people would have behaved differently if they knew they were at risk of being on FaceBook within seconds), and I may be unfairly characterising the Tomkins drinking incident. That said, we are where we are and the club could have taken a different approach to Flower and the Tomkins brothers video. If they had said that they put great weight on the club’s reputation they could have reasonably cut them all adrift. None of them plays for us anymore, so we ended up in the same place in the end, and can look to the future.

pedro
Posts: 4326
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by pedro » Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:35 pm

Exiled Wiganer wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 6:27 pm
Pedro, you may be right about the 80s and 90s (though I suspect people would have behaved differently if they knew they were at risk of being on FaceBook within seconds), and I may be unfairly characterising the Tomkins drinking incident. That said, we are where we are and the club could have taken a different approach to Flower and the Tomkins brothers video. If they had said that they put great weight on the club’s reputation they could have reasonably cut them all adrift. None of them plays for us anymore, so we ended up in the same place in the end, and can look to the future.
they released him, more than they did with Hock who dragged the club through the mud
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1857407490.png

ddtftf
Posts: 1661
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:07 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by ddtftf » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:06 pm

GB has a degenerating hip disease and either needs an op or a hip replacement I honestly dont think he will play again to be honest :o :o :o

CheshireWarrior
Posts: 365
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors' support for George Burgess

Post by CheshireWarrior » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:19 pm

Is it actually confirmed for certain that Burgess has a 'degenerating hip disease'?

Post Reply