Warriors named on government "rogue employers" list for not paying minimum wage

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Nezza Faz

Re: Warriors named on government "rogue employers" list for not paying minimum wage

Post by Nezza Faz »

And the amount quoted is literally a drop in the ocean of a year's £ turnover, and would virtually make no difference to the EOY Balance Sheet, accounting errors do happen in every walk of life, so this does suggest a clerical error - made right to the person(s) involved on notice.
morley pie eater

Re: Warriors named on government "rogue employers" list for not paying minimum wage

Post by morley pie eater »

jao711 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:34 pm
josie andrews wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:23 pm Tesco have also made this error as have many other companies. It’s a mistake which has been rectified!
Well said Josie,perhaps the “righteous” ones who can’t wait to criticise the club will let it drop. Perhaps.
If your "dig" is aimed at me, jao, it's uncalled for. My post was an examination of the figures in respect of the claim that the error occurred "for a short period during 2017".

My starting point was certainly not being unable to wait for a chance to criticise the club, but to look at the facts objectively.

Any organisation of the size of Wigan RLFC tends to follow common PR practices for damage limitation. Personally I prefer to draw my own evidence-based conclusions.

If you see a flaw in my maths, please point it out to me. I didn't impute any bad motives on the club or accuse it of deliberately doing anything wrong, merely pointed out the magnitude of the discrepancy based on the facts accepted by the club.

On the other hand, if your "righteous ones" jibe applies to someone else, make that clear. Meanwhile those who want to see only a "righteous" club management without reference to the facts should remember KR's initial response to the Tomkins brothers saga, to the Bateman-Mossop incident and others. Blind faith is not my cup of tea.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
doc

Post by doc »

£4.5k for a person on minimum wage is 25% + of their salary. Seems strange how such a big %age of someone's salary could have been made in error and not noticed by the club or employee. At the time of posting the club hadn't made a statement. Maybe they should put it up on the website rather than go through WEP. My Initial post was to do with a lack of response in the Sky article and on Sky Sports News whereas St. Johnstone were quick to put out a statement.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:23 pm Tesco have also made this error as have many other companies. It’s a mistake which has been rectified!
Having worked for Tesco i would not be shocked the underpayments is staff working extra hours and then promised time in lieu. Which often never materialize. Usually a delaying tactic on the wage bill per quarter for management bonus.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

If nothing else it shows that wage slips should be taken notice of, my lad has been caught out time and again by his works underpaying him, xmas was an example..I always ask did he check his hours/wage slip and more often than not the answer is no