Warriors named on government "rogue employers" list for not paying minimum wage

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
doc

Warriors named on government "rogue employers" list for not paying minimum wage

Post by doc »

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... oyers-list

Very poor show. Club need to make a statement about this.
Fan4Fifty

Re: Warriors named on government "rogue employers" list for not paying minimum wage

Post by Fan4Fifty »

Not sure there's much in this. Years ago and quickly sorted. It happens.
jobo

Re: Warriors named on government "rogue employers" list for not paying minimum wage

Post by jobo »

doc wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:05 pm https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... oyers-list

One worker underpaid by £4,500?

Seems a strange one.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

doc wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:05 pm https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... oyers-list

They have.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Without knowing the full extent of what's occurred (that is FULL details and not a SkySports headline/article), I think its hard to be too critical.

Obviously the headline doesn't read well, but if it was an oversight, I suppose it can happen in any organisation. Personally, if I was on minimum wage, I would have thought you'd have noticed the difference? Maybe its a contract error etc?

Shame for the employee in question, either way, its good its resolved :)
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

What trolls will forget is that Wigan where chosen as a random sample, so it doesn't mean the mistake hasn't happened at other clubs
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

If you actually read the article it seems to be a genuine one off mistake that has been rectified from 2017
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Tesco have also made this error as have many other companies. It’s a mistake which has been rectified!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'm not wanting to have a go at the club, and fully accept that anyone can make a mistake.

On the other hand, I don't think that loyalty to the club means we should automatically swallow the PR blurb they put out.

A mistake, underpayment to one admin worker for "a short period of time". Yet it totalled over £4500 ???

If minimum wage was around £8 an hour at that time, and say the person concerned worked 37 hours a week and the underpayment was £1 an hour, it would take over 2 years to reach £4500 underpaid!

Now to be over a 6 month period, they'd need to be underpaid £173 a week or £4.67 an hour, meaning they were on just £3.33 an hour for 6 months!

Just how long would you say a "short" period is in this context?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jao711

Post by jao711 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 5:23 pm Tesco have also made this error as have many other companies. It’s a mistake which has been rectified!
Well said Josie,perhaps the “righteous” ones who can’t wait to criticise the club will let it drop. Perhaps.