Hardaker: Outstanding squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Hardaker: Outstanding squad

Post by josie andrews »

Zak Hardaker looks ahead to the 2021 season.

The Wigan centre also reflects on the highs and lows of 2020.

Hardaker: “If we can pick up where we left off, we will be a really, really good team.”

Zak Hardaker believes Wigan Warriors will have the strongest squad in the Betfred Super League when the 2021 season begins in March.

After taking to his new role at centre in 2020 like a duck to water, the Englishman is keen to get firing and go one better this year.

Currently enjoying a hard earned off-season, Hardaker explained how he will be making every effort to return to training raring to go.

“I’m going to try and stay as fit and healthy as possible over the break, to come back in good shape for pre-season.”

As the return to action edges closer, the 29-year-old is eagar to lace up his boots once again.

“I’m looking forward to the upcoming season. We’ve got an outstanding squad and I think on paper, the strongest in the league, without a doubt.

“Saints are obviously really strong as well, one to 13. After the disappointment of last year, I’m just really excited. I’m sure the Grand Final defeat will add fuel to the fire for us.

“If we can pick up where we left off, we will be a really, really good team.”

One of the sources of Hardaker’s enthusiasm comes from the Club’s new signings.

On John Bateman returning to Wigan, he said: “He’s a top competitor. Everyone knows just how good he is. He’s gone over to Australia and shown exactly what he can do against the very best over there.

He’s earned some top praise and massive respect from the Australians, which is quite hard to do from an English perspective, because they don’t give it out lightly. He seems excited to be back home now.

“I’ve known John for quite a long time, ever since I was at Leeds and he was at Bradford.”

Hardaker also showed excitement for a new signing he wasn’t too familiar with.

“I’ve chatted to a few of the boys about Jai Field – I don’t know him personally but I know a few of the lads do.

“I’ve seen some of his highlights and he looks electric quick. I saw the other day that Jackson [Hastings] had said on Instagram that Jai would be the quickest player at Wigan next year. I’ve seen Bevan [French] and know how quick he is, so Jai must be very quick to beat him.”

But it’s not just the incoming faces that Hardaker is excited about lining up alongside in the coming season.

“There’s also the likes of Joe Bullock and Singo [Brad Singleton] getting the number 8 and 10 shirts, which will only bring them on next season. [See the 2021 squad numbers in full here.]

“I think Singo was an absolutely huge bonus for us, with his passion, grit and Warrior approach everyone expects to face.

I was really happy when he signed and even more when he started playing because I knew what he would bring.

“He brought Bullock on as well, who has come on even further over the last season.”

Maintaining further consistency from previous seasons, Adrian Lam will be at the helm of the Cherry and Whites for the 2021 season. He will be joined by the recently retired Sean O’Loughlin, who will begin a coaching role for the Club he represented as a player for 19 years.

Hardaker said: “There’s also Lammy, who it’s great to have here for another season and the G.O.A.T Sean O’Loughlin joining him in the coaching staff. I’m looking forward to working under him.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/01/ ... ing-squad/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan