Season start delayed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: Season start delayed

Post by Mike »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:21 am https://www.scotsman.com/health/corona ... id-3109992

Interesting read and not the first time I’ve read or heard this about the Oxford vaccine
Let's hope that pessimistic, otherwise we really aren't in a good place until 2022.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:47 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:21 am https://www.scotsman.com/health/corona ... id-3109992

Interesting read and not the first time I’ve read or heard this about the Oxford vaccine
Let's hope that pessimistic, otherwise we really aren't in a good place until 2022.
Not the first time I’d heard that about the vaccine heard it a few times over the last few weeks.

I think we have to realistic it will be 2022 before things et back to normal and if they aren’t I’d want to know why that’s for sure by then the restrictions must be lifted,without fail but for this year we have to play along we’ve gone (and I mean most of the world)this far down the rabbit hole we may as well stay the course now.

The media don’t help with their agenda led carping isn’t helping,the constant need for a definitive date to end things when no one can say for sure as to when this will be over,articles such as that one tell one strand of the story but not the whole story,people have been let down by the media or government or both who knows?

We all know that hopefully we will never see anything like this again but I hope when this is all over in the coming years all aspects and I mean from the top down have to answer for their actions.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

fozzieskem wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:13 pm
We all know that hopefully we will never see anything like this again
That's not what the scientists tell us.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

moto748 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:54 am
They also told us we would be unprepared for the next pandemic but oh look goverments not listening to the experts again.

I find this one fascinating in that we have had two close calls (swine flu/bird flu) in recent times and yet nothing to prepare was done.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:06 am
They also told us we would be unprepared for the next pandemic but oh look goverments not listening to the experts again.

I find this one fascinating in that we have had two close calls (swine flu/bird flu) in recent times and yet nothing to prepare was done.
Agree with most of above the way all this has been handled by government is unbelievable. With there dithering and none precise dicissision making. The only part I don't agree with is being prepared to be fair no one in the world was prepared for a virus of this magnitude and my question is how do you prepare for a virus that nobody in the world knew how it worked or what it was. Let's just hope the vaccine roll out continues at the pace it is picking up so no more life's or lost and destroyed by this horrible virus. But in mean time important to keep safe a long way to go yet but well get there
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

In fact, in an analysis of preparations by major countries for pandemics in 2019 we came out pretty near the top. We weren’t prepared for this type, though, we were prepared for flu, which looked a likelier problem. The fault for this spiralling out of control is entirely in the hands of China and the WHO. As soon as they buried it and let their people fly around the world for their new year celebrations we were doomed - especially the UK, as we are the most internationally interconnected country in the world, with all of our cities having ties to Europe, the US, Asia and the rest of the Commonwealth. The government did no better but probably no worse than they could have done (ie very badly indeed).
Flash

Post by Flash »

pedro wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:46 pm
Flash wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:32 pm
pedro wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:03 pm

whats ridiculous is to suggest the speed in which the vaccine was prepared and tested meant we wasnt prepared, go find out how long it used to take to engineer, make, test and roll out a vaccine. The work done on HIV has been ground breaking in the way virus are pulled apart and examined.
Reducing, in small part, the effects of being unprepared does not then equate to being prepared!

If you wanted to argue that we are prepared for flu each year as we develop, in advance, vaccines for the anticipated strains that are likely to mutate, then I would agree. Finding a vaccine more quickly after the event however is most definitely not the same as being prepared!

As I said earlier, I think you require the assistance of a dictionary.
flu happens every year and they know it mutates so can prepare but you accept that but you cant accept that a new virus came out and we had a vaccine developed tested and started to roll out in less than 12 months and that the scientific community wasnt prepared to battle a new virus? .....think you need a lie down
That is exactly what I DO accept. It's you who's been arguing against it, claiming, to quote you, that we were "pretty prepared".

You're right on one thing though; I do need a lie down. It's exhausting trying to discuss something with someone who doesn't even know when they are contradicting themselves
pedro

Post by pedro »

Flash wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:35 pm
pedro wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:46 pm
Flash wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:32 pm
Reducing, in small part, the effects of being unprepared does not then equate to being prepared!

If you wanted to argue that we are prepared for flu each year as we develop, in advance, vaccines for the anticipated strains that are likely to mutate, then I would agree. Finding a vaccine more quickly after the event however is most definitely not the same as being prepared!

As I said earlier, I think you require the assistance of a dictionary.
flu happens every year and they know it mutates so can prepare but you accept that but you cant accept that a new virus came out and we had a vaccine developed tested and started to roll out in less than 12 months and that the scientific community wasnt prepared to battle a new virus? .....think you need a lie down
That is exactly what I DO accept. It's you who's been arguing against it, claiming, to quote you, that we were "pretty prepared".

You're right on one thing though; I do need a lie down. It's exhausting trying to discuss something with someone who doesn't even know when they are contradicting themselves
:lol: :lol: think you need to read it again princess
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:44 am

Agree with most of above the way all this has been handled by government is unbelievable. With there dithering and none precise dicissision making. The only part I don't agree with is being prepared to be fair no one in the world was prepared for a virus of this magnitude and my question is how do you prepare for a virus that nobody in the world knew how it worked or what it was. Let's just hope the vaccine roll out continues at the pace it is picking up so no more life's or lost and destroyed by this horrible virus. But in mean time important to keep safe a long way to go yet but well get there
Thailand, Vietnam and South Korea haven't done too shabby have they.

South Korea already had an adequete test and trace programme from previous infections
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:41 pm
keptinthedarkfans wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:44 am

Thailand, Vietnam and South Korea haven't done too shabby have they.

South Korea already had an adequete test and trace programme from previous infections
They’ve had previous experience.