Season start delayed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Season start delayed

Post by Caboosegg »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:40 am I am not convinced that supporters will be able to see any live games. If SAGE gets its way we will be locked down until this time next year!
If Sage say its needed then its probably needed we are at this point because their Advice was ignored last time.

But welcome to Britain where people are fed up of the experts 😉.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

If we're still locked down till this time next year there'll be no UK Ltd, no economy, no NHS, let alone no sport plus unknown numbers of suicides and a mass mental health crisis on an unbelievable scale.
What we do need are people to stick to the regs, too many bad apples I'm afraid, who think they're invincible.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Everything I have read suggests that we are likely to open up nationally, but we will cut ourselves off from the rest of the world (adopting the Australian approach of closed borders). It didn’t make sense to do this before we had the vaccine, as the damage was done by all the people coming back from ski trips. (I learnt today that we are the most internationally interconnected country in the world - next time someone asks why we have had it so bad, I think I might be able to answer it!)

So, we roll out the vaccine at speed. Once we have all the over 70s and vulnerable vaccinated, that takes the death and hospital pressure out of the equation - 700 people under 60 with no serious pre existing conditions have died do far. So, we can open up the UK then. However, we would go back to square one if we import a strain that gets past the vaccine (I understand that risk is very small indeed, but exists). As far as Wigan is concerned - which if not should be the Government’s priority - we should be able to get crowds in long before the borders are reopened. We will miss out on the revenue from Catalans’ away fans, but if we chip in 50p each on here that should cover it.

We WILL see our Boys again, and it won’t be long!
Last edited by Exiled Wiganer on Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

...if we chip in 50p each on here that should cover it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think 5p would be enough. Even 10,000 at 5p = £500!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:27 am Everything I have read suggests that we are likely to open up nationally, but we will cut ourselves off from the rest of the world (adopting the Australian approach of closed borders). It didn’t make sense to do this before we had the vaccine, as the damage was done by all the people coming back from ski trips. (I learnt today that we are the most internationally interconnected country in the world - next time someone asks why we have had it so bad, I think I might be able to answer it!)

So, we roll out the vaccine at speed. Once we have all the over 70s and vulnerable vaccinated, that takes the death and hospital pressure out of the equation - 700 people under 60 with no serious pre existing conditions have died do far. So, we can open up the UK then. However, we would go back to square one if we import a strain that gets past the vaccine (I understand that risk is very small indeed, but exists). So, then we will want to wait until everyone else has been vaccinated here and can reopen. As far as Wigan is concerned - which if not should be the Government’s priority - we should be able to get crowds in long before the borders are reopened. We will miss out on the revenue from Catalans’ away fans, but if we chip in 50p each on here that should cover it.

We WILL see our Boys again, and it won’t be long!
Those two bits in bold don't make sense and are contradictory.

The risk of a mutation getting past the virus doesn't go away when everyone has had the virus...
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

You are right, I was trying to say too much at once. See edit...
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:48 pm You are right, I was trying to say too much at once. See edit...
You dont get much past nathan
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

We can all read,copy and paste bits of articles all we want,that suits our narratives which in turn is someone else’s narrative,certainly my morning paper the daily telegraph,yes that one,I’ve stopped reading their one eyed articles on the lockdown,they seem to think it’s all ok probably because there’s not bodies in the streets who knows.

I don’t care about the economy because everyone else is in pretty much the same boat as us and let’s be brutally honest they open up at speed then we will be right back where we are now,if and when the lockdown ends we will return to the tier system of that I’m sure.

The vaccine is not the end of this,yes it may stop you getting it but you can still pass it on to other people.

The science has won it has to look at the mess the country is in now through opening up from last time far to quickly,eat out to help out Jesus wept crackpot schemes like that where always going to cause the infection rate to rise it simply can’t be allowed to happen again.

For me I look towards events that should be taking place in the coming months,one by one they’re starting to be moved to 2022 or later on in the year,they’ve clearly been tipped the wink by the government that they won’t be allowed to go ahead,where does that leave rugby I dont know but I doubt they will let crowds in anytime before high summer
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:36 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:40 am I am not convinced that supporters will be able to see any live games. If SAGE gets its way we will be locked down until this time next year!
If Sage say its needed then its probably needed we are at this point because their Advice was ignored last time.

But welcome to Britain where people are fed up of the experts 😉.
There are more scientific experts than the one's who form Sage yet their views do not concur. Anyway, the point I am making is that supporters should not believe that they will get to many, if any, matches. Certainly, if the Leader of the Opposition gets his way (Mr Lockdown) then 2022 may be in doubt :( The vaccine will give a level of protection but only after a period of time, and there is no guarantee that it will be effective against other variants that come along.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

We can’t know for sure, but there are a few things which are very probable indeed.

Vaccines are amazing things, as they allow the body to produce huge amount of antibodies designed to fight off things even remotely like COVID. They work fantastically well. When experts are asked to give an opinion around whether they will work against all variants they simply have to say no. But the chances of them doing so are extraordinarily high. Moreover, even if they don’t stop the illness developing, they vastly reduce its effectiveness. It seems odd to me that we are so comfortable with, say, flu vaccines (which work pretty much 100% of the time in avoiding serious illness) but are less comfortable about these ones. They will transform the position in the UK, and at speed, given the volumes we will have available.

The Government has to under sell their effect and focus on the risks and the need to stay in now, because they have to ensure there remains compliance with the rules over the next couple of months. But the evidence will be apparent once we get to March. And once we reach the tipping point in our favour it will only get better. As I understand it, the clubs are looking at some crowds from April. That makes sense - the weather will be improving, we will be outside, we will be mostly driving to a stadium where they can have a fair amount of social distancing. If Wigan wants to make a case for decent sized crowds, then I am as confident as I can be that it will be successful.

(Am particularly buoyant today, as the beloved mother in law is getting her first jab on Sunday. The cavalry has arrived!)