Season start delayed

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Season start delayed

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Wintergreen wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:58 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:35 pm I think you misunderstand the science around vaccines and the point made about immunity. The picture is far better than it looks. For instance, people get spooked by variants, because they are asking someone whether there is any risk that the vaccine won’t work against it. To which the answer has to be yes, because we haven’t had time to test it yet. However, the chances of its being so bad as to escape treatments and vaccines (which can be very quickly tweaked) is vanishingly small. If you ask someone whether they could have a car crash on the way home, then they would have to answer yes, which can make a great headline, but we all know about the risks (and what we can do to mitigate it), so we don’t see You Could Die on the Way Home Tonight! Headlines...

It is a numbers game, we are not (or should not be) attempting to eliminate the virus, merely to make it manageable. People will continue to die of it, even a small proportion of those vaccinated, but we have to move on and treat it in the same way as we do flu. We have 1) fantastic vaccines, procured brilliantly by our Government, 2) world leading treatments, developed brilliantly mostly by our scientists, and 3) the fastest roll out of any western nation. By Easter, pretty much everybody in the country who is at serious risk will have been protected by vaccines. By the autumn, many of the treatments which we are trying will vastly reduce the effects of catching it. We have had a massively heightened sense of the risks around this disease - and understandably so - but the end is very much in sight. It will be a while before I get it, but I am thrilled whenever I hear of those (such as my hale and hearty aunties and doctor brothers) who have had the jab.

As far as our game is concerned, then we should press for as many to be let in as soon as we can. Given that 1) many of our season ticket holders will be vaccinated by, say, May and 2) our stadium is pretty much perfect for getting to and from safely, and for social distancing at the game, then I see no reason why we can’t have 10k crowds by May. Given that this Government is very likely to emphasise opening up as soon as possible, rather than waiting until all risk has been eliminated, I am certain we will be fine. I also think that we can be so very proud of our vaccine and treatment scientists - the UK’s scientists will save millions of lives around the world over the next couple of years.
I think you are right. The Government has done a lot of things badly, (including implementing a lockdown imo, but I won't go there), however, one of the things it has done well is procure/test vaccines.

Look at the science, most if not all high risk people will be immunised by Mid March at the latest. After that the deathrate/hospitalisation rate plummets and therefore need for any form of lockdown ceases to exist.

Sure people may catch Covid, but it will be no worse than the seasonal flu.

At some point (very soon) we all will have to face up to the enormous financial cost of lockdown. Our children will be paying for it for the rest of their lives.

Put simply, post March there will be no justification for lockdown, and for that reason I can see sport coming back pretty strongly.

Can't wait to watch the games!
Those responsible should pay not the innocent. We shall have to wait and see if those at fault can be identified.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:14 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:05 am Be interesting what legislation comes in - I can see vaccinated crowds only with you being able to attend with proof of vaccine - surely best way to limit risk but get revenue through
Not a chance of that happening
The vaccine cannot give you COVID-19 infection, and a full course will reduce your chance of becoming seriously ill. We do not yet know whether it will stop you from catching and passing on the virus, but we do expect it to reduce this risk. So, it is still important to follow the guidance in your local area to protect those around you.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s%20risk.

With the new variants and the fact anyone who has had covid already only has antibodies for 5 months
Most people who have had Covid-19 are protected from catching it again for at least five months, a study led by Public Health England shows.

Past infection was linked to around a 83% lower risk of getting the virus, compared with those who had never had Covid-19, scientists found.

But experts warn some people do catch Covid-19 again - and can infect others.

And officials stress people should follow the stay-at-home rules - whether or not they have had the virus.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55651518

Can you seriously see any sport being allowed to have fans back into any stadium soon, especially if they are already classed as vulnerable irrespective of vaccinations?
Highlighted bold sentence is factually incorrect. The surveillance involved in this study only lasted 5 months hence that time frame being in there. It’s at least 5 months.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I am not convinced that the start date will not be pushed back further. It will be interesting to see how the Club deal with expectations, especially if season ticket sales outnumber the number of fans allowed to attend games.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:13 am I am not convinced that the start date will not be pushed back further. It will be interesting to see how the Club deal with expectations, especially if season ticket sales outnumber the number of fans allowed to attend games.
I have to agree with you I just don’t see a mass opening of sport anytime soon,the point you make about season tickets too is a valid one given as it’s more likely to be restricted numbers allowed in at least to begin with
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:13 am I am not convinced that the start date will not be pushed back further. It will be interesting to see how the Club deal with expectations, especially if season ticket sales outnumber the number of fans allowed to attend games.
There is a great article in one of the papers, crunching the numbers on the vaccine roll out. The Government believes that everyone over 50 and every at high risk person can be vaccinated by end March. We can watch Israel closely, as they are the only country in the world ahead of us on this, but their aim is to reopen as soon as there is a downward trajectory on infections. Moreover, as the Jansen one shot vax looks like it will be approved soon, we could be looking at 5m per week by then, running through the rest of the country in no time. We will soon have all the data to confirm this, but on that basis I see no reason why we need to start much later than end March, and no reason why we can’t have 10k season ticket holders at the ground. This is outdoors, the weather will be getting better, and people will not be falling ill. Moreover, the arc of progress at that stage will be lower and lower and lower susceptibility.

I don’t run the game, and I trust our owner and the RFL to do the right thing. The only points I am making are that we can all look forward to far better times ahead, and in relatively short order, and that if the club was going to prioritise getting as many of us there as soon as possible, then end March looks to me to be an eminently achievable season target start date, with increasing numbers of fans in April. And full house by the summer.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Agree that we should start the season with the new date of 25th March.
The Gov't/Scientists seem confident that all over 50s will be vaccinated by the end of March and that should help get the country back on the way to some kind of normal.

It might seem as a test of how confident the Gov't are over their measures when they announce projected start dates for crowds returning to spectator sports.
The sooner it is safe the better.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:15 pm Agree that we should start the season with the new date of 25th March.
The Gov't/Scientists seem confident that all over 50s will be vaccinated by the end of March and that should help get the country back on the way to some kind of normal.

It might seem as a test of how confident the Gov't are over their measures when they announce projected start dates for crowds returning to spectator sports.
The sooner it is safe the better.
By then the country should have a bit of herd immunity going off the numbers that have had covid and recovered with the first phase and the second phase .
jobo

Post by jobo »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:35 pm I think you misunderstand the science around vaccines and the point made about immunity. The picture is far better than it looks. For instance, people get spooked by variants, because they are asking someone whether there is any risk that the vaccine won’t work against it. To which the answer has to be yes, because we haven’t had time to test it yet. However, the chances of its being so bad as to escape treatments and vaccines (which can be very quickly tweaked) is vanishingly small. If you ask someone whether they could have a car crash on the way home, then they would have to answer yes, which can make a great headline, but we all know about the risks (and what we can do to mitigate it), so we don’t see You Could Die on the Way Home Tonight! Headlines...

It is a numbers game, we are not (or should not be) attempting to eliminate the virus, merely to make it manageable. People will continue to die of it, even a small proportion of those vaccinated, but we have to move on and treat it in the same way as we do flu. We have 1) fantastic vaccines, procured brilliantly by our Government, 2) world leading treatments, developed brilliantly mostly by our scientists, and 3) the fastest roll out of any western nation. By Easter, pretty much everybody in the country who is at serious risk will have been protected by vaccines. By the autumn, many of the treatments which we are trying will vastly reduce the effects of catching it. We have had a massively heightened sense of the risks around this disease - and understandably so - but the end is very much in sight. It will be a while before I get it, but I am thrilled whenever I hear of those (such as my hale and hearty aunties and doctor brothers) who have had the jab.

As far as our game is concerned, then we should press for as many to be let in as soon as we can. Given that 1) many of our season ticket holders will be vaccinated by, say, May and 2) our stadium is pretty much perfect for getting to and from safely, and for social distancing at the game, then I see no reason why we can’t have 10k crowds by May. Given that this Government is very likely to emphasise opening up as soon as possible, rather than waiting until all risk has been eliminated, I am certain we will be fine. I also think that we can be so very proud of our vaccine and treatment scientists - the UK’s scientists will save millions of lives around the world over the next couple of years.
Brilliant and "Our government" is a description too far don't you think 😂😂
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I know it seems weird and I don’t want to stray into political territory, but how else can it be described? We chose to go alone and have ended up with far more doses of the world’s most valuable commodity far earlier than any other major western country. Kate Bingham on procurement and John Bell on development deserve their own statues.

I am desperate to see our 21 squad in action, as I think we have so much potential, and so am spending too much time learning about stuff I never thought I would need to know!
pedro

Post by pedro »