Burgess leaves on medical grounds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: Burgess leaves on medical grounds

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:28 pm The issue with the hubcap is it does mean nothing but it really shouldnt it should mean a lot. I get that Sky have made the GF the target of everyones affection but to me since leeds won it from 5th it rendered the league and therefore the trophy for the league meaningless.
the reason we gave up our season tickets
Sutty

Post by Sutty »

pedro wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:27 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:28 pm The issue with the hubcap is it does mean nothing but it really shouldnt it should mean a lot. I get that Sky have made the GF the target of everyones affection but to me since leeds won it from 5th it rendered the league and therefore the trophy for the league meaningless.
It was a big factor in me doing the same too. Apart from other hobbies that I have, I thought it almost akin to paying a few hundred quid for what was, essentially, a load of pre season games, with the playoffs and GF being the only meaningful part of the season.

moto748

Post by moto748 »

Would you have taken the same view if Wigan had won it from fifth?

but I agree more should be made of the LLS. It shows the best side over the course of a season. As I've argued before, one simple way would just be to make the prize more financially attractive.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

moto748 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:44 pm

but I agree more should be made of the LLS. It shows the best side over the course of a season. As I've argued before, one simple way would just be to make the prize more financially attractive.
Absolutely as long as the GF is winnable through a play off position the league will never mean anything and to me that's a always going to be an issue.

Personally id like to see the league be the main trophy - i do understand the pull of the GF and i like the event itself but there's too many "events" now in RL so its very easy in modern busy life to just completely ditch the season from your mind - i am convinced that crowds will continue to dwindle without the league having meaning
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:08 am

Absolutely as long as the GF is winnable through a play off position the league will never mean anything and to me that's a always going to be an issue.

Personally id like to see the league be the main trophy - i do understand the pull of the GF and i like the event itself but there's too many "events" now in RL so its very easy in modern busy life to just completely ditch the season from your mind - i am convinced that crowds will continue to dwindle without the league having meaning
What is your suggestion for the league being the main trophy? The only way would be to remove the play-offs and Grand Final.

I completely agree with the LLS not being worth as much, the play-offs/Grand final being the focus and issues in the past with Leeds winning from 5th etc.

Crowds dwindling isn't because of the LLS and Grand Final format... It's because of a number of things:
1 - Rugby league not played in as many schools anymore
2 - Rugby League amateur/sunday level not as popular anymore
3 - Sport not marketed properly by RFL, Super League etc
4 - Games not live at favourable times
5 - Football becoming more popular is probably a reason
6 - Constant rule and format changes (licensing, playing with playoff system)
7 - League is perceived as weaker than it used to be

The list could go o
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:44 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:08 am

What is your suggestion for the league being the main trophy? The only way would be to remove the play-offs and Grand Final.

I completely agree with the LLS not being worth as much, the play-offs/Grand final being the focus and issues in the past with Leeds winning from 5th etc.

Crowds dwindling isn't because of the LLS and Grand Final format... It's because of a number of things:
1 - Rugby league not played in as many schools anymore
2 - Rugby League amateur/sunday level not as popular anymore
3 - Sport not marketed properly by RFL, Super League etc
4 - Games not live at favourable times
5 - Football becoming more popular is probably a reason
6 - Constant rule and format changes (licensing, playing with playoff system)
7 - League is perceived as weaker than it used to be

The list could go o
If it were my choice and i know its personal preference i would ditch the GF in order to secure a more competitive league structure. Im not saying that the leagues importance is the only reason for crowd decline but for me an increased importance on the league - it being the main trophy would improve crowds because the games would matter, every game would matter and the trust is now they just dont.

You mention about the popularity of Football they dont have a playoff system and that seems to work just fine in fact its one of the most watched and accepted sports in the world and the league is always the biggest achievement.

Imagine trying to encourage a neutral to pick up a season ticket - you'd have to be honest and say theres no point going to the longest pre season in sport - go to magic and the CC Cup games and the GF and youve captured every important game.

There was definitely a change in tact with teams after Leeds won it from 5th - teams learned it was about pacing the season and making sure you were right for the playoffs
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'm not sure if it really matters whether league games are 'important' or not TBH. What matters is that they are good. If the spectacle is exciting, entertaining and has a good atmosphere, people will want to go regardless of the weight of the competition. US sports have no issues with league match attendance throughout the year despite ending their seasons in playoffs.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

For me we need more teams in the league but I understand the sponsorship is shared around via the salary cap so there’s little chance of 14 or 16 teams in the league - just believe it’s chicken n egg stuff as more teams would undoubtedly increase sponsorship deals...

I’m hopeful when we get out of lockdown crowds will pick up - I for one have taken the rugby for granted at times in the past and that will change when we’re let loose!
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Gerrumonside wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:04 pm For me we need more teams in the league but I understand the sponsorship is shared around via the salary cap so there’s little chance of 14 or 16 teams in the league - just believe it’s chicken n egg stuff as more teams would undoubtedly increase sponsorship deals...

I’m hopeful when we get out of lockdown crowds will pick up - I for one have taken the rugby for granted at times in the past and that will change when we’re let loose!
There are too many teams in the league at present, never mind getting more in. The quality just isn’t there.

Do you really think if we added featherstone and Halifax it would increase sponsorship deals? Come on.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
culinator

Post by culinator »

I have always said (to myself i would add) the league should be standard but then maybe take a leaf from football and do a kind of champions league.
Maybe the Top 2 or 3 from the league, the finalists from the challenge cup, possibly the Australian counterparts also, all in a knockout competition, then no need for the separate world club challenge.
This is just off the top of my head