Burgess leaves on medical grounds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
keptinthedarkfans

Re: Burgess leaves on medical grounds

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

I await this prop signing that's going to blow us away. My money is on a young prop from lower division more project than finished super prop
Can't see any sl club letting a star player leave when season training started and would be near impossible to replace at this late stage. Hopefully I'm wrong but I just can't see it. Especially with the current no fans a strong possibility for a lot if not all season
jao711

Post by jao711 »

I find it hard to rejoice about this news.George is a 28yrs old quality player who should be at his peak now.Instead he faces major surgery and a long painful recovery.A year of his career gone.So let’s not be in too much of a hurry to spend the money.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

There was just a flash of what he was capable of in the Huddersfield game and both my wife I agreed he would be something special if he could overcome his obvious injury,not to be I just hope the lad can get his life together and get his hip sorted out,his health is far more important than rugby frankly.
pedro

Post by pedro »

ian.birchall wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:11 pm
Nezza Faz wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:13 pm
pedro wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:12 pm

he wont count on the cap as he hasnt played so can get all the dispensation, however if we have paid him off its still a chunk of money the club have had to pay
Or possibly, Insurance has covered it ?
Wouldn't have thought so as he had the problem when we signed him.
still would have to be fully medically insured, maybe an inflated premium but im sure there cant be exceptions for player insurances
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

jao711 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:23 pm I find it hard to rejoice about this news.George is a 28yrs old quality player who should be at his peak now.Instead he faces major surgery and a long painful recovery.A year of his career gone.So let’s not be in too much of a hurry to spend the money.
Wigan shouldn't spend the money and replace him because he has lost a year of his career and had to leave on medical grounds?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
jao711

Post by jao711 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:09 pm
jao711 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:23 pm I find it hard to rejoice about this news.George is a 28yrs old quality player who should be at his peak now.Instead he faces major surgery and a long painful recovery.A year of his career gone.So let’s not be in too much of a hurry to spend the money.
Wigan shouldn't spend the money and replace him because he has lost a year of his career and had to leave on medical grounds?
I think you missed the point but never mind.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:47 pm There was just a flash of what he was capable of in the Huddersfield game and both my wife I agreed he would be something special if he could overcome his obvious injury,not to be I just hope the lad can get his life together and get his hip sorted out,his health is far more important than rugby frankly.
Well said. He is but a young man.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

jao711 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:28 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:09 pm
I think you missed the point but never mind.
I didn't but I will rephrase. Why shouldn't Wigan be in a hurry to spend the money?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

I bet he’s gutted. A pity we didn’t get to see him fully fit playing for us. I hope he makes a full recovery whether he plays again or not but whatever the future holds for him, I hope he’s not permanently adversely affected by this injury.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I posted when he first came he had a hip degenerating disease but its taken the club a long time to announce it & lets hope they learn the lesson to check if the next signing has had a full medical next time which George did not . I am sad for the lad as he should be in his prime now and wish him the best of health in the future.