Burgess leaves on medical grounds

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Burgess leaves on medical grounds

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Mike wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:11 pm I'm not sure if it really matters whether league games are 'important' or not TBH. What matters is that they are good. If the spectacle is exciting, entertaining and has a good atmosphere, people will want to go regardless of the weight of the competition. US sports have no issues with league match attendance throughout the year despite ending their seasons in playoffs.
but the two are intrinsically linked in my eyes - the "importance" is what makes the games exciting and the atmosphere is driven by the importance. Big matches make for big atmosphere, but none of the league matches are big or meaningful - even the derby during the season has lost its edge because there is no bragging rights for beating saints during the season when most likely both teams will be weakened because every team seems to have a "injury" crisis that miraculously sorts itself every year when the playoffs start.

If you think the last time Wigan had a decent crowd and atmosphere every game was the relegation season because there was literally something on the line every game we had to win so every game was a GF.

Even for "lesser" teams theres no joy to be had on taking a scalp from a Wigan or Saints when youre not stopping them from winning something, becuase during the season the big teams play funny with lineups to keep the squads fresh
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
East Stand Faithful

Post by East Stand Faithful »

Isn’t this off topic?
Whatever happened to Billy McGinty's pineapple?
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:22 am
Gerrumonside wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:04 pm For me we need more teams in the league but I understand the sponsorship is shared around via the salary cap so there’s little chance of 14 or 16 teams in the league - just believe it’s chicken n egg stuff as more teams would undoubtedly increase sponsorship deals...

I’m hopeful when we get out of lockdown crowds will pick up - I for one have taken the rugby for granted at times in the past and that will change when we’re let loose!
There are too many teams in the league at present, never mind getting more in. The quality just isn’t there.

Do you really think if we added featherstone and Halifax it would increase sponsorship deals? Come on.
How about Toronto, Toulouse and New York for increasing sponsorship deals? Plus the whole North American player pool in 10-15 years time. Not enough potential.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

East Stand Faithful wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:46 am Isn’t this off topic?
You're right. I'll stop.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

So rest in this case they think actually caused a deterioration?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Interesting that he admits he wasn't right when he signed for us so clearly we knew about it too. A real shame it didn't work out but hopefully we'll pick up a decent prop part way through the season if required.
Gerrumonside

Post by Gerrumonside »

Gerrumonside wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:04 pm For me we need more teams in the league but I understand the sponsorship is shared around via the salary cap so there’s little chance of 14 or 16 teams in the league - just believe it’s chicken n egg stuff as more teams would undoubtedly increase sponsorship deals...

I’m hopeful when we get out of lockdown crowds will pick up - I for one have taken the rugby for granted at times in the past and that will change when we’re let loose!
There are too many teams in the league at present, never mind getting more in. The quality just isn’t there.

Do you really think if we added featherstone and Halifax it would increase sponsorship deals? Come on.
I do, and why not try to get a Widnes, Rochdale or a Bradford in there also which will promote the league and arguably make the playoffs more poignant also as the whole game is given a boost - yes the standard is dropped initially but teams will improve Andover we reduce the teams then are we going to keep playing the same teams 10 times a season?
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Gerrumonside wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:55 pm

I do, and why not try to get a Widnes, Rochdale or a Bradford in there also which will promote the league and arguably make the playoffs more poignant also as the whole game is given a boost - yes the standard is dropped initially but teams will improve Andover we reduce the teams then are we going to keep playing the same teams 10 times a season?
Why would the standard improve if you add more teams?
The league already has teams in it who aren’t really up to the standard and you want to add more. History suggests teams like Hull KR, Leigh, Widnes, London are always going to be up and down.

More so how will bringing Rochdale in promote the league?

The idea that bringing in clubs behind the m62 corridor hasn’t really been a success when you look back other than Catalans.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:22 pm Why would the standard improve if you add more teams?
I think he means that the standard of those *new* teams would gradually improve over time.

You could also have an expansion draft where a new team could pick one or two players from each other squad (minus protected players nominated by each team), that would dilute the standard evenly over the whole comp. Can't work in the SL though with clubs individually contracted to clubs rather than to the league.

I guess nathan is arguing that the current number of teams and their distrubtion is just right?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐