Wigan v Warrington at Magic

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan v Warrington at Magic

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors will face Warrington Wolves at the 2021 Dacia Magic Weekend on Sunday 5th September at Newcastle’s St James’ Park.

The Cherry and Whites will meet the Wire for the fourth time at the showpiece event, with one win, one draw and one loss for both sides in previous years.

All fixtures for the 2021 Dacia Magic Weekend, scheduled over the weekend of 4-5th September, have today been confirmed.

A bumper weekend of action, all live on Sky Sports, will kick-off on the Saturday with Castleford Tigers taking on Salford Red Devils before St Helens face Catalans Dragons. Day one rounds off with Leeds Rhinos taking on Hull FC.

Sunday sees the return of Leigh Centurions to Magic and St James’ Park, the venue of their only previous appearance in 2017. The newly promoted Centurions will take on Hull KR in the final game of the weekend following on from Huddersfield Giants v Wakefield Trinity and Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves.

Super League chief commercial officer, Rhodri Jones, said: “Dacia Magic Weekend is an important part of the Betfred Super League calendar and it is great to have the event back in our plans for the upcoming 2021 season.

“Following the Prime Minister’s latest update about the easing of lockdown restrictions, we are optimistic that we will be able to welcome fans into St James’ Park to enjoy the festival atmosphere that makes Dacia Magic Weekend so special.

“With the event falling later in the calendar this year, it could be all to play for in the closing stages of the season with teams chasing the League Leaders’ shield, Play-Off spots or looking to avoid relegation.

“I’d like to pay thanks to Dacia for their on-going support of this event as well as our event partners at Newcastle United, Newcastle City Council, Newcastle-Gateshead Initiative and NE1, and once again to Sky Sports for continuing to bring fans their excellent coverage of this unique event.”

Callum Chamberlain, senior brand communications manager, at Dacia said: “Dacia Magic Weekend is an incredible moment in the Rugby League calendar, so we are delighted with the recent announcement that the event will take place over the 4th and 5th September at St James’ Park. Super League have worked incredibly hard to pull together an exciting, jam-packed weekend of fixtures and Dacia is proud and excited to continue to play a part in this pinnacle event.”

Cllr Ged Bell, cabinet member for employment and culture, said: “I am really pleased that Super League is planning on bringing back Magic Weekend to Newcastle this September.

“Our city has a world class reputation for hosting events, and we have an unrivalled passion for all sports and culture. Newcastle knows how to put on a show and we look forward to welcoming fans from across the country to enjoy the weekend in our great city.

“The Prime Minister’s route out of lockdown means fans will once again return to stadiums in the coming months, meaning we can look forward to this excellent event with renewed optimism.

“The Covid pandemic has already impacted many of the events that take place in Newcastle every year, spectacular showcases which welcome hundreds of thousands of visitors and support businesses across the region. It is vital that as part of our recovery we develop and host events of all shapes and sizes and provide unique experiences across Newcastle and provide a much-needed boost to our wider economy.

“It is important that we look ahead to this event and plan for any eventuality. The vaccine roll out, localised test and trace systems and a greater understanding of the virus provide us a glimmer of hope that Magic Weekend can once again attract record crowds to St James’ Park. However, if any restrictions are still in place, we will work closely with the Super League, NE1 and businesses across the city to maximise on the opportunity in whatever way possible.”

Stephen Patterson, director of communications at NE1 Ltd, said: “We are delighted that a date has been set for Magic Weekend’s welcome return to Newcastle.

“We were obviously disappointed the event had to be postponed last year but now the date is set, we can all look forward to the celebrations in September. Magic Weekend is always a highlight in the city’s event calendar, and we hope that by the autumn we’ll be able to welcome the fans back to St James’ Park to enjoy all the associated activities that the event brings.

“Magic Weekend and all its loyal supporters always give a huge boost to trade in Newcastle and this year, will play a significant part in helping the city and the wider region to bounce back from the pandemic.”

Fixture format

Dacia Magic Weekend fixtures have been re-formatted from those scheduled for 2020 to include Leigh Centurions. All teams will play on the same day (Saturday or Sunday) that they were scheduled to play on for the 2020 event. This is in acknowledgment of the fans who have committed to retain their 2020 tickets.

The formula for deciding fixtures each day is that teams will play the team they finished closest to in the final 2020 league standings.

For example, on Saturday it is Castleford Tigers (8th) v Salford Red Devils (9th), St Helens (2nd) v Catalans Dragons (4th) and Leeds Rhinos (5th) v Hull FC (6th).

Ticket information

For those who purchased tickets for the 2020 event and haven’t claimed a refund, your tickets are still valid for 2021 however should you have any queries, updated FAQs can be found here.

Details of when any additional tickets will go on sale will be announced in due course, although this is likely to be late spring at the earliest.

Fixtures

Saturday, 4th September

Castleford Tigers v Salford Red Devils
St Helens v Catalans Dragons
Leeds Rhinos v Hull FC
Sunday, 5th September

Huddersfield Giants v Wakefield Trinity
Wigan Warriors v Warrington Wolves
Leigh Centurions v Hull KR

(kick-off times will be announced in due course)

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/02/ ... -at-magic/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Wigan v Warrington at Magic

Post by josie andrews »

Who or how are these fixtures worked out?

Wigan Warriors have always had to face a top club. Why? This is why this fixture is, IMO, a waste of time as it can give a false advantage to clubs giving them an easy 2 points

Only once, 2010 in Edinburgh, did we face Huddersfield Giants!

Our opponents for the rest of the fixture have been-;

St Helens 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012.

Leeds 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.

Warrington 2017, 2018, 2019. 2020 was cancelled due to COVID-19

The table for the fixture featuring 16 teams with wins who have taken place since its inception are;

1. Wigan Warriors

2. Huddersfield

3. Castleford

4. Warrington

5. St. Helens

6. HKR

7. Leeds

8. Catalan

9. Hull FC

10. Salford

11. London

12. Wakefield

13. Crusaders

14. Widnes

15. Bradford

16. Leigh
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Saints v cats????? Is this because widnes arnt in super league anymore???? What a joke
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

We've done pretty well then josie! We must preform well against top teams.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I got the impression they only stopped us playing saints and leeds coz we always beat them
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Firestarter wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:43 pm I got the impression they only stopped us playing saints and leeds coz we always beat them
I dont mind not playing saints as 3 times a year took the shine off the derby.

But they could have used magic and turned the big one into something vs leeds with both clubs doing build up advertisement.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Already bought pjs for tickets a s travel but for this fixture I really don’t think we will bother,granddaughter birthday that day as well so tire of the tubes that run our sport how many bloody times do we have to face Warrington a season?

Ridiculous it really is
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:21 pm Already bought pjs for tickets a s travel but for this fixture I really don’t think we will bother,granddaughter birthday that day as well so tire of the tubes that run our sport how many bloody times do we have to face Warrington a season?

Ridiculous it really is
Weren't you arguing not to increase the nuber of teams - or was that someone else?

Its either more teams, or more repeat fixtures - they won't drop the number of games.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:37 pm Who or how are these fixtures worked out?

Wigan Warriors have always had to face a top club. Why? This is why this fixture is, IMO, a waste of time as it can give a false advantage to clubs giving them an easy 2 points

Only once, 2010 in Edinburgh, did we face Huddersfield Giants!

Our opponents for the rest of the fixture have been-;

St Helens 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012.

Leeds 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.

Warrington 2017, 2018, 2019. 2020 was cancelled due to COVID-19

The table for the fixture featuring 16 teams with wins who have taken place since its inception are;

1. Wigan Warriors

2. Huddersfield

3. Castleford

4. Warrington

5. St. Helens

6. HKR

7. Leeds

8. Catalan

9. Hull FC

10. Salford

11. London

12. Wakefield

13. Crusaders

14. Widnes

15. Bradford

16. Leigh
Your original post contained the detail. But it doesn’t add up.

The formula for deciding fixtures each day is that teams will play the team they finished closest to in the final 2020 league standings.

For example, on Saturday it is Castleford Tigers (8th) v Salford Red Devils (9th), St Helens (2nd) v Catalans Dragons (4th) and Leeds Rhinos (5th) v Hull FC (6th).
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mike wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:47 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:21 pm Already bought pjs for tickets a s travel but for this fixture I really don’t think we will bother,granddaughter birthday that day as well so tire of the tubes that run our sport how many bloody times do we have to face Warrington a season?

Ridiculous it really is
Weren't you arguing not to increase the nuber of teams - or was that someone else?

Its either more teams, or more repeat fixtures - they won't drop the number of games.
No not me I cant remember having a discussion on an increase of teams for ages anyways but I don't think it was me.

Its not the number anyway, its the god awful way they choose gameshow many times do we have to play warrington in a year? its not as if they use any great system they can pick and choose..I normally say warrington for both the CC and magic games for a laugh,now its tedious its not even as if they absolutely needed to not change days, no tickets ever came out so that wasn't a issue either.

Funny though id have pound a whole pound coin on sky wanting a repeat of the grand final for the Saturday evening game before today.