Hastings. Again.

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Hastings. Again.

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Kenny was the second best player I saw in the flesh. I know he only played around 20 games for us (of which I must only have seen a dozen), but he was untouchable when he was on his game from the moment he landed until Wembley. He had his off days - the CC semi and the last Saints game - but his class was such that it felt as if he was playing in his own time bubble.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I'm not sure why, but i think some fans don't like the idea of a player that was successful at another SL team coming to Wigan. I mean the comment someone made about not liking his body language when he signed as evidence that he shouldn't be playing for us - that's just looking for evidence that supports an opinion that you already have surely!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:07 pm Final thing from me. If he was always coming home why has Lam only came out and said he isn't listening to the rumours and Jackson will be playing for us this year..... After he’s on the plane home. Why not a week or so ago.
Why should he knew he was coming back so no need to say otherwise. On another note you said yesterday he was not coming back then within half an hour changed your mind. It was common knowledge he had a rebooked flight for Sunday so your research was a bit behind.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

You again.....? I said my personal opinion was he wont come back. I was wrong, I then received a text saying what I said. Either you have a problem with me which would be extremely weird or you cant accept the fact some people know certain things that go on, just because you dont believe what I say doesn't mean I'm wrong. Its your opinion. But you act like your opinion is fact. Weird behaviour. From now on if you dont like what I say just please refrain from responding. It escalated that much on the last thread you got personal with me when you dont even know me. Mike had to lock it. So do me a favour and just dont respond to me again.
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:30 pm To get some kind of perspective on this, I go back to Brett Kenny:

How long was he here for? Was he committed to Wigan or just here for a payday? Did he lose us the last game v Saints and have a flight booked home?

You know what, 35 years or so later, I don't care. But I do remember his performance at Wembley. And if we could re-wind, I'd be all for signing him again.

Now Hastings is not in the same class as Kenny, but the principle applies. It's a pro game, short career, players have different personalities and different approaches to life. As long as they don't bring the club into disrepute, it's what they do on the field that counts.

Hastings adds enough to the team to be worth putting up with some people's interpretation of a press interview. I'll be glad to see him back, even if it's only for one more season.
And Kenny recently stated he loved his short stay with us.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:00 pm You again.....? I said my personal opinion was he wont come back. I was wrong, I then received a text saying what I said. Either you have a problem with me which would be extremely weird or you cant accept the fact some people know certain things that go on, just because you dont believe what I say doesn't mean I'm wrong. Its your opinion. But you act like your opinion is fact. Weird behaviour. From now on if you dont like what I say just please refrain from responding. It escalated that much on the last thread you got personal with me when you dont even know me. Mike had to lock it. So do me a favour and just dont respond to me again.
Everyone can reply to any posts.

Personal abuse is not allowed.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Mike wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:16 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:00 pm You again.....? I said my personal opinion was he wont come back. I was wrong, I then received a text saying what I said. Either you have a problem with me which would be extremely weird or you cant accept the fact some people know certain things that go on, just because you dont believe what I say doesn't mean I'm wrong. Its your opinion. But you act like your opinion is fact. Weird behaviour. From now on if you dont like what I say just please refrain from responding. It escalated that much on the last thread you got personal with me when you dont even know me. Mike had to lock it. So do me a favour and just dont respond to me again.
Everyone can reply to any posts.

Personal abuse is not allowed.
I understand that, hence the mention of you locking the last thread.

It wasn't personal at first last time but ended up that way. Just trying to avoid the same situation again.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:57 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:30 pm To get some kind of perspective on this, I go back to Brett Kenny:

How long was he here for? Was he committed to Wigan or just here for a payday? Did he lose us the last game v Saints and have a flight booked home?

You know what, 35 years or so later, I don't care. But I do remember his performance at Wembley. And if we could re-wind, I'd be all for signing him again.

Now Hastings is not in the same class as Kenny, but the principle applies. It's a pro game, short career, players have different personalities and different approaches to life. As long as they don't bring the club into disrepute, it's what they do on the field that counts.

Hastings adds enough to the team to be worth putting up with some people's interpretation of a press interview. I'll be glad to see him back, even if it's only for one more season.
You can't compare the two as Kenny was guesting for us. Everyone knew the situation.

I agree with all the comments about it being a pro game/short career etc.

However, it's also a team game. (Sheffield Eagles anyone?).

Even more so in a Salary Cap limited sport, this is vital.
I tried hard to make it clear that I wasn't comparing the two, and that I was using Kenny's example to establish a principle that applies to Hastings. Experience of this forum told me that someone would miss the point...."Kenny was guesting for us"....exactly how does that change this...."As long as they don't bring the club into disrepute, it's what they do on the field that counts."????
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Mike wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:27 pm I'm not sure why, but i think some fans don't like the idea of a player that was successful at another SL team coming to Wigan. I mean the comment someone made about not liking his body language when he signed as evidence that he shouldn't be playing for us - that's just looking for evidence that supports an opinion that you already have surely!
I'm not sure I follow you.

My point is that when someone signs for a team, there are normally signs of positive body language.

I didn't see that with Jackson. Maybe it's his way, but was just making the observation.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

morley pie eater wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:48 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:57 pm

You can't compare the two as Kenny was guesting for us. Everyone knew the situation.

I agree with all the comments about it being a pro game/short career etc.

However, it's also a team game. (Sheffield Eagles anyone?).

Even more so in a Salary Cap limited sport, this is vital.
I tried hard to make it clear that I wasn't comparing the two, and that I was using Kenny's example to establish a principle that applies to Hastings. Experience of this forum told me that someone would miss the point...."Kenny was guesting for us"....exactly how does that change this...."As long as they don't bring the club into disrepute, it's what they do on the field that counts."????

A player brought in on a very short term arrangement to do a job for us is different, imo at least, to someone under contract for the medium term.

The expectations are different imo.

And in all honesty if you are not trying to compare the two why use the example? :)