Super League 2021: Wigan Warriors owner Ian Lenagan on the challenges of the pandemic and Adrian Lam's influence

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Super League 2021: Wigan Warriors owner Ian Lenagan on the challenges of the pandemic and Adrian Lam's influence

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan chairman and owner Ian Lenagan reflects on the challenges posed by the Covid-19 pandemic and the way the Warriors have developed under Adrian Lam ahead of the 2021 Super League season

In the past nine months, Wigan Warriors chairman and owner Ian Lenagan has only been able to visit the club once for two days.

Having to shield since the Covid-19 pandemic struck has seen the 75-year-old conduct his work from home, with Warriors director of rugby Kris Radlinski, operations director Wayne Joyce and finance director David Moore overseeing the day-to-day running of the club.

Even then, though, there have been bumps along the way. The loosening and tightening of restrictions means the club offices have opened and closed periodically, while pre-season training was disrupted when the training ground had to be temporarily closed followed a positive coronavirus test.

The problem of how to keep operating during a pandemic is one all professional sports clubs and organisations have had to wrestle with in the past year, and Lenagan is grateful for the way everyone at Wigan has risen to that challenge.

"The biggest problem of all is keeping going," Lenagan said. "I'm of an age where you have to shield and be careful, although it's a bit different with the vaccination now and you feel more comfortable and feel it coming through.

But those three people (Radlinski, Joyce and Moore) and all of the staff under them have kept everything going and kept players happy. Kris tells us stories about key players who built gyms in their garages and I could name two of our first team who have done precisely that.

"When we shut down for two weeks, [they were] taking all of the equipment out of our gyms and delivering them to people in their homes so they could carry on keeping fit.

“ Just living from day to day has been the most difficult thing through the pandemic. To worry about whether a player is going to get over a knock on his hip or some other issues pales into insignificance."

The financial challenges posed by the 2020 Super League season being suspended for four months and games being played behind closed doors have had an effect too, although Lenagan is confident schemes like government support and furlough mean Wigan remain on a solid footing.

On the field, at least, there was plenty for all involved with the Cherry and Whites to cheer about as they claimed the League Leaders' Shield - albeit suffering last-second heartbreak in the Grand Final against St Helens.

Nevertheless, Lenagan was delighted with the progress made under Adrian Lam - now entering the third year of what was originally meant to be a one-year stint as head coach - and his coaching staff, which now includes another former Warriors star with the retired Sean O'Loughlin taking up an off-the-field role.

Last year gave Adrian the chance to be himself as head coach, and I think the League Leaders' Shield and being so close in the Grand Final was just rewards for a man who has put enormous effort in and that's why we were so pleased for him to have another year," Lenagan said.

"We do always plan many years in advance, and we were delighted when Adrian said he wanted to do another year, and I think he did a great job last year.

"Now we've got Sean O'Loughlin as part of that battery of coaches and just as we develop players at Wigan, we develop coaches as well.

"It's very important to have a production line of coaches and it's no secret Tommy Leuluai, who seems to still be playing at the top of his game, was supposed to be an assistant coach this year but wanted to carry on playing. We want that production line to carry on though."

For his part, Lenagan has no plans of bringing his 14-year-and-counting tenure to an end any time soon and when rumours started circulating recently that he was planning to sell his stake in the club he was quick to refute them.

He is simply looking forward to the 2021 Super League season getting under way and hoping it will not be much longer before being able to take his seat in the directors' box at the DW Stadium to watch Wigan's matches in person again.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/ ... -influence
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Gerrumonside

Re: Super League 2021: Wigan Warriors owner Ian Lenagan on the challenges of the pandemic and Adrian Lam's influence

Post by Gerrumonside »

Good to hear Ian is still committed - we’re lucky to have him as our chairman and the future and current coaches also!

Can’t wait for the new season to start.
Nezza Faz

Re: Super League 2021: Wigan Warriors owner Ian Lenagan on the challenges of the pandemic and Adrian Lam's influence

Post by Nezza Faz »

Gerrumonside wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:43 am Good to hear Ian is still committed - we’re lucky to have him as our chairman and the future and current coaches also!

+1, especially with what's going on at other clubs eg Hetherington, Wakey, Latics, etc.

Here's hoping fans can return asap to help repay him somewhat.
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Nezza Faz wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:50 am
Gerrumonside wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:43 am Good to hear Ian is still committed - we’re lucky to have him as our chairman and the future and current coaches also!

+1, especially with what's going on at other clubs eg Hetherington, Wakey, Latics, etc.

Here's hoping fans can return asap to help repay him somewhat.
Yeah ! Because the pandemic has NOT hit the fan s has it????
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

Done! Dusted! F-ed the sport off! Now a TV critic like the rest
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
bill.inger

Post by bill.inger »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:41 pm Done! Dusted! F-ed the sport off! Now a TV critic like the rest
You're saying that now but you'll do an Arnie like the rest of us. You'll be back.