21-man squad v Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: 21-man squad v Leigh

Post by Wintergreen »

I don't think the forwards were the main issue for us last night.

I do think we were missing a bit of creativity (Hastings might fix that if he stays, or a replacement if he doesn't)
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Mike wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:25 am Bibey top try scorer, I'm on to a winner with my predictions!

Good game from smith. Better go forward when leigh tired. Poor tackling in the first half. Need better yardage on the first 3 tackles from the backs. Hastings and French aren't going to give us that unfortunately (maybe the odd break from French with any luck). Inglis can barely talk!
When did we get Ricky Bibey back? :D
(Sorry Mike, couldn't resist.)

That was a typical opening day performance: scrappy, undercooked. Throw in the facts that it was the Leythers' GF and we had 6 top backs missing, and I'm happy with the win. It'll be largely forgotten long before the end of the season.

I was pleased with Bibby. His ability to slot in all over the field could be crucial for us with a limited and unbalanced squad.

Smith is the future. My only concern for him is how soon the Aussies come sniffing.

Sam P, Faz, Zak, Big Willy and Olly P set the standard. The likes of Tommy and Bateman will have better days to come.

As I said to my lad during the second half: "Leigh prepared to win the 1st game, we've prepared to win the last one."
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan Watcher

Post by Wigan Watcher »

We didnt create anything, we didn't creat any doubt in their minds, we dint have any go forward. Basically we didn't have a clue.
If it wasn't for them getting tired and allowing Zak to walk through the middle we would not have won this one.
They lost it we didn't win it.

I ask the question again.
Why do we allow our main ball player not to be at pre season training

MADNESS

Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

We were missing the yards that our three quarters would normally make,they along with the forwards lay the platform for our flare players to show up,when everyone is fit and available I feel that we won't be far off again.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wintergreen wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:02 am I don't think the forwards were the main issue for us last night.

I do think we were missing a bit of creativity (Hastings might fix that if he stays, or a replacement if he doesn't)
It was 1 up rugby a lot of the time though. No matter how good a forward may be, if you’re running on your own it’s a lot easier to defend than if there is a support runner you need to keep an eye on.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Pbickerstaff

Post by Pbickerstaff »

Just a general comment from last night.The refereeing decisions were unusual
Their try that was a forward pass, their try where the ball was dropped, the 4 man tackle on Bateman which nearly broke his legs-nothing from the ref, the lash out from Bateman in retaliation -which will probably land him a ban.there was many more
Unusual for refs to be boast against the warriors."......not
pedro

Post by pedro »

Pbickerstaff wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:41 am Just a general comment from last night.The refereeing decisions were unusual
Their try that was a forward pass, their try where the ball was dropped, the 4 man tackle on Bateman which nearly broke his legs-nothing from the ref, the lash out from Bateman in retaliation -which will probably land him a ban.there was many more
nothing wrong with that, Tommys was far worse
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Think we need more from the forwards still hitting the floor early so they get a quick play the ball they never seam to push the opposition backwards.This was not just last night but has happened for several seasons.Was this a Wane thing ?
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

pedro wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:52 am
Pbickerstaff wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:41 am Just a general comment from last night.The refereeing decisions were unusual
nothing wrong with that, Tommys was far worse
Tommy pretended to be injured coz he knew he’d been naughty....... there was quite a few bad decisions either way
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

Mike wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:25 am Bibey top try scorer, I'm on to a winner with my predictions!

Good game from smith. Better go forward when leigh tired. Poor tackling in the first half. Need better yardage on the first 3 tackles from the backs. Hastings and French aren't going to give us that unfortunately (maybe the odd break from French with any luck). Inglis can barely talk!
Glad someone else thinks the same. Could hardly understand a word he said!