21-man squad v Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: 21-man squad v Leigh

Post by Southern Softy »

I don't think we need to worry about Hastings and French being fit after seeing what a pre-season apparently uncoached side looked like last night. They could slot right in without attending a training session.
I didn't think Leigh looked very good - it was just that we were awful. Hardaker looked fine - Smith had a very ordinary first 60 minutes and a very good last 20 - thought Hanley did OK, especially under the high ball without looking anything outstanding - Bibby was Plus 1 - scored 2 tries bombed 1, which was an improvement although he still jumps out of the line in defence and gets exposed - thought Shorrocks did OK and I'm not the greatest fan - worried about ineffectual Singleton (injured?) - I though Tommy didn't carry through that potential cannonball tackle but stopped and looked a kid in the playground making a back for a kid to fall over backwards (bet he still gets banned).
Overall, I was just pleased that we weren't up against a good team - that could have been embarrassing and Leigh's coach still looks like Kathy Burke's long-lost twin. Suggest sub-titles for Greg Inglis but welcome back Joe Mills and Bilko (congrats for the new offspring).
Basically, just pleased that's out of the way and wondering who our next coach might be.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

pearsy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:04 am Think we need more from the forwards still hitting the floor early so they get a quick play the ball they never seam to push the opposition backwards.This was not just last night but has happened for several seasons.Was this a Wane thing ?
Wane favoured quick play of the balls rather than driving for extra yards after the initial impact.

It’s only effective if you try to catch the defence offside or ship it wide to try and get the overlap.

If you drive for extra yards you allow the defence more time to get back.

I don’t think there should be one set method, it should be dependent on how the game is going and what you’re trying to do.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:23 am
pearsy wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:04 am Think we need more from the forwards still hitting the floor early so they get a quick play the ball they never seam to push the opposition backwards.This was not just last night but has happened for several seasons.Was this a Wane thing ?
Wane favoured quick play of the balls rather than driving for extra yards after the initial impact.

It’s only effective if you try to catch the defence offside or ship it wide to try and get the overlap.

If you drive for extra yards you allow the defence more time to get back.

I don’t think there should be one set method, it should be dependent on how the game is going and what you’re trying to do.
Wane new the limitations of our forwards hence the tactic of hitting the ground and getting a quick play the ball.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:30 am
Wintergreen wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:02 am I don't think the forwards were the main issue for us last night.

I do think we were missing a bit of creativity (Hastings might fix that if he stays, or a replacement if he doesn't)
It was 1 up rugby a lot of the time though. No matter how good a forward may be, if you’re running on your own it’s a lot easier to defend than if there is a support runner you need to keep an eye on.
Totally agree, they need to hunt as a pack.
EagleEyePie

Post by EagleEyePie »

I don't think you can read too much into that game. First game of the season can see one team turn up a bit rusty. Leigh had 2 warm up games while most of our players played no more than 40 minutes before this game. The joy Leigh had down the middle of the field in the first half could be an indication of a weakness with our 2 bigger middles (Singleton and Bullock) or just an enthusiastic team exploiting a not quite match fit front row through enthusiastic carries.

I thought the promising thing was the team got back into it after that poor start. No one really played as well as they can yet we had enough to get the tries we needed. I thought Smith had a decent game. It was a difficult first half because our pack wasn't dominating but his kicking game was good and his game management was excellent to help us see out the game. He's showing a willingness to run the ball too which led to him creating a try.

Bateman will need some time to get up to speed but I thought he grew into the game. The decision by Lam to put Bateman back into the 2nd row and move Farrell to left centre proved to be a crucial one. Powell was as busy as ever. Not really a game for him to have much of an attacking input but his work rate once again was exceptional.

I thought Hanley showed that he's a good enough option on the wing. He dealt well with kicks that looked to be specifically targeting him. More than happy for him to be one of our wing options.

The biggest disappointment was the unfortunate injury to Field. Hopefully it will just be a 6 week or so recovery and he can return without any setbacks. It does leave us short on cover for the outside backs but possibly only for one game. Not sure when French finishes his quarantine but perhaps he's an option to play on the wing for the next game. If not then perhaps just give Halsall a go.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Good point about Hanley being solid under the high ball. A couple more games like that and teams won't target him. I hope he gets a few chances to show something going forward too.

I'm not bothered about skill levels and looking dazzling in round 1. It's all about growing into form as the season goes on.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I thought Hanley did well enough under trying circumstances. He'll learn quickly if we give him a couple of consequetive games. He's very inexperienced and remember, he only played once all last season. If he plays against wakey he won't be opposite Johnstone. I watched the wakey game today and one glaring lesson for anybody playing them is not to kick high to Johnstone's corner
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:59 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:41 pm Woeful first half, much better second half, Hardaker for me just about MOM,the younglings mixed..I dont think Hanley is anywhere near ready just yet, shame about Field though, just seemed to read the ball wrong and over stretched and bingo off he went shame.

Leigh though can be happy they gave Wigan a run and thats more than can be said for the team they replaced.
They played very well and if they had taken their chances they would have won. I think that they may pay for that effort next week.
Oh without doubt Leigh have a tough run to start with but I think they will struggle this season but seem on that showing in far better shape than 2017 but we shall see.