21-man squad v Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
pedro

Re: 21-man squad v Leigh

Post by pedro »

Barney841 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:26 pm Think smith was the best the bunch of the young lads. I’m not convinced with bryne and Harvard as our back up props. Hanley had a half to forget in the first
thought Hanley went well he was targeted all night with very little support and did well on the whole, havard is class and should be our 13,he went as good if not better than them all apart from bullock
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I'm more convinced by Havard than Smithies. His habit of putting his head into opponents on every tackle is going to land him in trouble. Pretty much agree with nathan on the forwards. Lam clearly rates Shorrocks, although not a prop, he finds his way into the squad, and always puts in a shift, didn't do much wrong again tonight. Perhaps the idea is he offers a bit more flexibility in case of injury, could cover second row or centre.
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

I am not really worried about the backs given that we were missing so many. Hanley showed up well but did not really get a run in attack and Bibby had a very solid performance. I am worried about our forwards who have not really moved on since last season, have little go forward and seem unaware that there are any other players on their own team playing. We really got dominated down the middle for over an hour by a group of journeymen, even when we had all of our senior players on the field.
Looking at the Field injury it looks like we may not be able to buy an even break this year.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:57 pm Smiths kicking game terrible.

Still haven’t seen this amazing kicking so many people on here talk of.

Beginning to think it’s a myth.
Smiths kicking game was excellent. I was very critical of that partof his game at Salford which I said was not normal for him, but tonight, no problem.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Woeful first half, much better second half, Hardaker for me just about MOM,the younglings mixed..I dont think Hanley is anywhere near ready just yet, shame about Field though, just seemed to read the ball wrong and over stretched and bingo off he went shame.

Leigh though can be happy they gave Wigan a run and thats more than can be said for the team they replaced.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Job done, not pretty but two points.

Bullock and Singleton need match fitness, they will be better for tonight’s outing. For me Partington and Harvard were our best props, Powell was my man of the match and Smithies made a big difference in the middle. We are relying on the young lads to make yards and that is something we have to fix. In my view we need a top prop.

As for the backs, Hastings has to come back into the team next week to provide us with more creativity, Tommy looked well off the pace tonight. Hopefully, Gildart will return as well as we need more pace in the three quarters.

One thing I was impressed with was our fitness, we sapped the life out of Leigh.
Charriots Offiah

moto748 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:35 pm I'm more convinced by Havard than Smithies. His habit of putting his head into opponents on every tackle is going to land him in trouble. Pretty much agree with nathan on the forwards. Lam clearly rates Shorrocks, although not a prop, he finds his way into the squad, and always puts in a shift, didn't do much wrong again tonight. Perhaps the idea is he offers a bit more flexibility in case of injury, could cover second row or centre.
I have to disagree with you Moto, I think they are both fine young forwards and I expect both to go on and play for England. Smithies would be in my team every day of the week, forwards have got to be aggressive otherwise they get bullied. We need to find a top prop to complement them, one that makes over 100 metres per game. All our young forwards will improve the more experience they get, they are way off their peak.

We have got to get away from playing forwards in the backs we need some speed.
Charriots Offiah

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:40 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:57 pm Smiths kicking game terrible.

Still haven’t seen this amazing kicking so many people on here talk of.

Beginning to think it’s a myth.
Smiths kicking game was excellent. I was very critical of that partof his game at Salford which I said was not normal for him, but tonight, no problem.
I thought his all round game was good in the second half.
Charriots Offiah

fozzieskem wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:41 pm Woeful first half, much better second half, Hardaker for me just about MOM,the younglings mixed..I dont think Hanley is anywhere near ready just yet, shame about Field though, just seemed to read the ball wrong and over stretched and bingo off he went shame.

Leigh though can be happy they gave Wigan a run and thats more than can be said for the team they replaced.
They played very well and if they had taken their chances they would have won. I think that they may pay for that effort next week.
Charriots Offiah

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:24 pm
moto748 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:15 pm Yeah that works too! :lol:

Smith had a pretty good game. But we were well off the pace in that first half.
Better second half, I will give him that. Few good kicks and an assist I think.

Coincided with his having better possession and the ball in Leigh’s half.
We had more possession than Leigh in the first half.