21-man squad v Leigh

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: 21-man squad v Leigh

Post by Charriots Offiah »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:30 pm
Barney841 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:26 pm Think smith was the best the bunch of the young lads. I’m not convinced with bryne and Harvard as our back up props. Hanley had a half to forget in the first
In terms of young forwards I think:
1 - Partington - clearly a first team regular
2 - Harvard - solid, great potential, looked good.
3 - smithies - great defence, average attack
4 - Shorrocks - looks small, not seen enough
We are expecting our young forwards to run over seasoned pros and that isn’t going to happen. One man rugby isn’t helping them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

I’m worried about the forward considering they were at full strength
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:I’m worried about the forward considering they were at full strength
Me as well. I said on the New Prop thread a while back I wasn’t expecting a new prop as IL saved money of George Burgess wages due to the loss the club has inevitably made but I hope he changes his mind if so and the club is looking for an experienced prop.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:01 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:24 pm
moto748 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:15 pm Yeah that works too! :lol:

Smith had a pretty good game. But we were well off the pace in that first half.
Better second half, I will give him that. Few good kicks and an assist I think.

Coincided with his having better possession and the ball in Leigh’s half.
We had more possession than Leigh in the first half.
Possession where in the pitch though?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
lucky 13

Post by lucky 13 »

Go forward from backs out of our own 20 is a massive miss for us at the moment. We miss Gildart, Dom and Marshal big time for hard yards and quick play the ball. While I would love an impact prop you can't under estimate what a full strength backline does in hard yards.
Just the threat of Hastings and French adds to the winning of that struggle and extra yards.
It was same in the Grand final Budgies broken Jaw and Gildarts shoulder and wrist injuries took our left edge out the game.
While they finish and do the fancy stuff the work they do clearing lines is just as if not more important in todays game.
Walmsey at saints normally only carries on 4th after hit ups from three quarters. I also would like to see a little more yardage from acting half, though you can't really complain about Powel his workrates immense, Marshal does that job very well.
02/04/2010/
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff24 ... 10-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

HISTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Charriots Offiah

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:09 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:01 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:24 pm

Better second half, I will give him that. Few good kicks and an assist I think.

Coincided with his having better possession and the ball in Leigh’s half.
We had more possession than Leigh in the first half.
Possession where in the pitch though?
You said ‘better possession’. I was simply pointing out that possession wasn’t the issue. Our forwards are paid to get us to the right part of the pitch.
Charriots Offiah

lucky 13 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:40 am Go forward from backs out of our own 20 is a massive miss for us at the moment. We miss Gildart, Dom and Marshal big time for hard yards and quick play the ball. While I would love an impact prop you can't under estimate what a full strength backline does in hard yards.
Just the threat of Hastings and French adds to the winning of that struggle and extra yards.
It was same in the Grand final Budgies broken Jaw and Gildarts shoulder and wrist injuries took our left edge out the game.
While they finish and do the fancy stuff the work they do clearing lines is just as if not more important in todays game.
Walmsey at saints normally only carries on 4th after hit ups from three quarters. I also would like to see a little more yardage from acting half, though you can't really complain about Powel his workrates immense, Marshal does that job very well.
Get Charnley, Gelling and Sarge back. We are woefully short of pace let’s hope we can get French and Gildart back quickly.
bertina

Post by bertina »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:17 pm Back to reading posters knocking our players, esp the young ones. Overall Harry Smith played well and has huge potential.

Commentators and fans of other clubs recognise it - what is it with some of our "fans"?
Doesn’t take long for the knockers does it ?. Hastings has been the target for the past few days, he doesn’t play tonight so it’s Smiths turn.
First game of the season, Leigh were obviously going to come out at 100 mph, I thought Smith was good. I don’t like knocking anybody, but Tommy was almost none existent. Smith was the only one trying to create anything with nothing to work with only a pack of young forwards.
We won, they lost. 2 points, well done.
Move on.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I reckon that about sums it up. In a scrappy showing, Smith was one of our better performers, along with Zak (goal-kicking apart) and Powell. And we got the points.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Bibey top try scorer, I'm on to a winner with my predictions!

Good game from smith. Better go forward when leigh tired. Poor tackling in the first half. Need better yardage on the first 3 tackles from the backs. Hastings and French aren't going to give us that unfortunately (maybe the odd break from French with any luck). Inglis can barely talk!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐