Fullback

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Fullback

Post by Firestarter »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:14 pm
EagleEyePie wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:29 pm French was probably our most effective attacking player last season, and we looked a bit limited in attack without his contributions. Given how well he played in that role it would seem strange to not play him there. I don't think it's disputed that fullback is also Hardaker's best position. His defence is stronger than French's but his attack isn't quite as dynamic. Coming into this season French should be considered 1st choice fullback. Hardaker was also pretty good at centre last season, and his defensive efforts played a bit part in us reaching the Grand Final.

Every season is different though. Hardaker currently has the chance to remind everyone how good he is at fullback. When French is ready to play he'll presumably go back there but if he doesn't play well enough this year and if we find someone who can play competently at centre then maybe things will change.

It's not really an issue right now though. Having both in our starting 13 gives us options, and if Bibby can have a good year there's scope to move those players around at any time.
If Bevan doesn't play well then, in my opinion, there is no chance of silverware.
Thats a massive call, unfortunately i think its very realistic as well...... we were very dependant on his link last year....... however zak looked very good on friday( whether thats because of the opposition im not sure).......if,and its a big if, bevan can play on thursday.I would play him on the wing,just for that game, until hes fully fit etc
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pedro

Post by pedro »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:03 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:39 pm
Fujiman wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:55 am Fench FB no brainer.
Agree 100%. Zak doesn't have the pace or skills to be as effective as Bevan.
As well as the fact French hasn’t ever played centre.

Ludicrous to even suggest it
I saw him a few games for Parra there years ago, dont think he started there think he finished the games there
HDS

Post by HDS »

I think Zac is more effective at full back then centre , but I think Bevan should be the Full back when he is back and match ready. Zac is a very capable centre and should be proud of how he has played in both positions since he has played for Wigan. To come back from his ban and play so well shows he worked really hard and has learned from past mistakes. Long may it continue!

My issue is his goalkicking, would Harry Smith be a better choice if he his on the field ?
Levrier

Post by Levrier »

He did not do too badly for a player considered too slow to play fullback.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Levrier wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:42 am He did not do too badly for a player considered too slow to play fullback.
I don’t think anyone is saying that he is not a good player it is just that Bevan is better.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

[*]
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:10 pm
Levrier wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:42 am He did not do too badly for a player considered too slow to play fullback.
I don’t think anyone is saying that he is not a good player it is just that Bevan is better.
Depends what you want from your fullback. French is certainly a more attacking threat. Zach is a better defender/organiser.

On balance I think French at full back suits the team better.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:32 pm [*]
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:10 pm
Depends what you want from your fullback. French is certainly a more attacking threat. Zach is a better defender/organiser.

On balance I think French at full back suits the team better.
Agreed

I think with this my view is Wigan have a long standing tradition at the moment of pretending the centre position doesn't exist and therefore not recruiting to it (and no i dont count hank due to the fact he was never deemed good enough to play there)

Therefore we are short at right centre, we are not short at full back where we have 2 players who can play there to a high level albeit they both offer different takes on the position. Of those 2 players even if you consider zak a better fullback to french its not by much, and i think youd be brave to say French could play centre anywhere near to the standard of zak

the decision is an easy one
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure