Tony Clubb

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ddtftf

Tony Clubb

Post by ddtftf »

What has happened to Tony Clubb is he injured again it appears he could get injured running on the pitch to do a 6 minute stint with 2 hit ups a game & we let Budgie go and kept Clubb it makes no scene to me .

I have no vendetta with Clubb but over the last 3 to 4 years he has been the worst productive forward we have so why do we keep him.
Wintergreen

Re: Tony Clubb

Post by Wintergreen »

ddtftf wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:17 am What has happened to Tony Clubb is he injured again it appears he could get injured running on the pitch to do a 6 minute stint with 2 hit ups a game & we let Budgie go and kept Clubb it makes no scene to me .

I have no vendetta with Clubb but over the last 3 to 4 years he has been the worst productive forward we have so why do we keep him.
I think the reason is that we have very few "older" props at the club (pun intended ;) )

We have some fantastic young talent, but until the age of say 22 they are still essentially kids.

RL is a contact sport and even in this age of overprotection, you sometimes need some big units on the field.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

The problem is he is never on the field to protect anyone so not a valid point :oops: :oops:
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I don't see how we can compare Joe Burgess with Tony Clubb? Like comparing Brett Dallas with Craig Smith!

I can't think of any prop we have who offers less than Clubb currently. I think a combination of age, injury and match fitness will make it incredibly difficult for him to establish himself again.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:18 am I don't see how we can compare Joe Burgess with Tony Clubb? Like comparing Brett Dallas with Craig Smith!

I can't think of any prop we have who offers less than Clubb currently. I think a combination of age, injury and match fitness will make it incredibly difficult for him to establish himself again.
Lee Hansen
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:23 am
CheshireWarrior wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:18 am I don't see how we can compare Joe Burgess with Tony Clubb? Like comparing Brett Dallas with Craig Smith!

Lee Hansen
think he left the club a while ago
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

pedro wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:14 pm

Lee Hansen
An 'enigma signing' prop for me (in recent times) was Andy Powell. I remember him playing in the playoffs at Huddersfield and I thought for a late convert, he held his own quite well. Was never going to work out long-term though.

I also expected more from FPN!
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:14 pm

Lee Hansen
Read without glasses :oops: :D
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

My point was that Budgie was a class winger and let go so now we are short in the wing area & letting Clubb go would raise some small amount towards a good prop with the money for Flower added
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Think club's no contract right, so you can't "let him go" at this stage unless you can find a way out of that. He's a depth player now I guess alongside Clarke. Useful backup. At some point this season, the forwards will have the injury crisis that the backs currently have I bet.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐