Why Adrian Lam has team selection dilemma for Challenge Cup tie

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wiganer Ted

Re: Why Adrian Lam has team selection dilemma for Challenge Cup tie

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Lam has to go for the C Cup this weekend. Lose this and everyone at the club will be disappointed.
He's got to get this right in squad selection. Half his backs are still out, more forwards than he can play and half backs that need game time.
Should be a piece of cake selecting a winning squad v York as good a Championship club that they are.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 am
pedro wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:28 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:12 am

is that still true with no/little fans?
id imagine so as there have been bigger attendances in the GF for the last 3 years that the CC
but Josie is saying that the CC is the biggest earner - my understanding (and i could be wrong) is that the CC is worth more to the clubs because of fan money - with little or no fans again probably this year is the CC worth more?
But they are hoping to have some fans for the CC final this year. Also, isn’t the GF money split between the clubs in the playoffs?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Why as a Wigan fan would you not want a twentieth Challenge Cup win, I would gladly forfeit the SL GF for our twentieth, It would be a massive achievement for Lammy and the boys
jobo

Post by jobo »

medlocke wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:58 pm Why as a Wigan fan would you not want a twentieth Challenge Cup win, I would gladly forfeit the SL GF for our twentieth, It would be a massive achievement for Lammy and the boys
Couldn't agree more. Have a good crack at both.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I don’t accept a defeat in a friendly let alone the Challenge cup
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I don't think we have to choose. Our fringe player wil lbe more than enough to get through this fixture and there are going to be very limited future opportunities to get them game time. I'd say play them now. If you like, you could have hastings or someone on the bench as an unused sub that you could throw on if you really needed them, but that makes it harder for the rest of the players, so I wouldn't do that myself.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 am
pedro wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:28 am

id imagine so as there have been bigger attendances in the GF for the last 3 years that the CC
but Josie is saying that the CC is the biggest earner - my understanding (and i could be wrong) is that the CC is worth more to the clubs because of fan money - with little or no fans again probably this year is the CC worth more?
it is, my answer was meaning its not just gate money that makes it more of a money spinner
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Mike wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:57 pm I don't think we have to choose. Our fringe player wil lbe more than enough to get through this fixture and there are going to be very limited future opportunities to get them game time. I'd say play them now. If you like, you could have hastings or someone on the bench as an unused sub that you could throw on if you really needed them, but that makes it harder for the rest of the players, so I wouldn't do that myself.
York got beat by Toulouse on Saturday at their own ground.

I’ve bought 2 virtual tickets for this game, hope I get a good seat 🤔😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

pedro wrote:
josie andrews wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:44 am There’s more money winning the CC than there is winning the GF!
Doesn’t matter. It’s the way the prize money and gate money is divided up. You get more from a CC final than a GF.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

But with limited/no fans would the CC still earn big?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure