5 Warriors named in England squad

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews
Posts: 26913
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan
Contact:

5 Warriors named in England squad

Post by josie andrews » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:07 pm

Wigan Warriors’ John Bateman, Liam Farrell, Oliver Gildart, Zak Hardaker and Dom Manfredi have all been named by England head coach Shaun Wane as a part of a 35-strong squad ahead of next Tuesday’s (13th April) training session at Leeds Beckett University.

Today (Tuesday 6th April) marks precisely 200 days before England kick off RLWC2021 against Samoa at St James’s Park, Newcastle, on Saturday 23 October.

Next week’s training session will be Wane’s first physical session with his players since his appointment more than 12 months ago, as preparation builds towards June’s mid-season international against the Combined Nations All Stars. Seven NRL-based players are included in the squad and, although they will not be at the Leeds Beckett session, they will have regular contact with the England coaching team.

On the squad, Wane said: “Names will come and go as the season unfolds, but the 35 players I’ve named reflect my current thinking. They are all capable of playing to an England standard. They know what’s expected at international level and the heights they must hit.

“We have a good mix of youth and experience, and age is no barrier. The thirty-somethings in the squad are playing some good rugby. And if a 17-year-old puts his hand up and shows me he’s got what it takes, he’ll be in.

“I watch every Super League game, every week, multiple times and I’m seeing some good things so far from England players. I keep a very close eye on the NRL too. Those players can’t join us at Leeds Beckett, but I’ll make sure they get the same information as the players who can.

“The session at Leeds is all about introducing players to my systems – how we’ll defend, how we’ll attack and so on. They are some of the best players around and they’ll get it very quickly. It’s an important part of our preparation for the mid-season international against the All Stars and for the World Cup too.”

England play Combined Nations All Stars at Warrington’s Halliwell Jones Stadium on Friday 25th June – part of an historic double-header featuring the Men’s and Women’s teams. England Women face Wales at 6pm, before Wane takes charge of the England team for the first time at 8pm.

Tickets are on sale now via the RFL website, priced £20 for adults and £10 for under U16s. An initial 4,000 tickets are available, with the hope that further areas of the stadium will become available as social distancing requirements ease.

The squad in full:

John Bateman (Wigan Warriors), Tom Burgess (South Sydney Rabbitohs), Daryl Clark, Mike Cooper, Ben Currie (all Warrington Wolves), Niall Evalds (Castleford Tigers), Herbie Farnworth (Brisbane Broncos), Liam Farrell (Wigan Warriors), Luke Gale (Leeds Rhinos), Oliver Gildart (Wigan Warriors), Josh Griffin (Hull FC), Ash Handley (Leeds Rhinos), Zak Hardaker (Wigan Warriors), Josh Hodgson (Canberra Raiders), Tom Johnstone (Wakefield Trinity), Toby King (Warrington Wolves), Morgan Knowles, Jonny Lomax (both St Helens), Jermaine McGillvary (Huddersfield Giants), Paul McShane (Castleford Tigers), Tommy Makinson (St Helens), Dom Manfredi (Wigan Warriors), Harry Newman (Leeds Rhinos), Mark Percival (St Helens), Joe Philbin, Stefan Ratchford (both Warrington Wolves), James Roby (St Helens), Dan Sarginson (Salford Red Devils), Ryan Sutton (Canberra Raiders), Luke Thompson (Canterbury Bulldogs), Sam Tomkins (Catalans Dragons), Alex Walmsley (St Helens), Kallum Watkins (Salford Red Devils), Elliott Whitehead, George Williams (both Canberra Raiders).

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/04/ ... and-squad/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.

pedro
Posts: 4392
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: 5 Warriors named in England squad

Post by pedro » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:09 pm

Wane said he would pick off form, then chooses Manfredi, Thompson, Percival, Gildart and more, who havent played game
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1857407490.png

User avatar
Wigan_forever1985
Posts: 5549
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:50 pm

Re: 5 Warriors named in England squad

Post by Wigan_forever1985 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:29 am

pedro wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:09 pm
Wane said he would pick off form, then chooses Manfredi, Thompson, Percival, Gildart and more, who havent played game
To be fair the only one in there i disagree with is Manfredi who has featured little in the last 3 years

Thompson was the leagues best prop and only isnt playing in the NRL due to suspension
Percival is playing isnt he? and is one of our best strike centres - likewise Gildart is probably the classiest centre England have in a position we really struggle in

Dom though has got because of his Wigan connection there are plenty decent wingers to chose from Tom Davies should be in the ahead of him
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure

Nezza Faz
Posts: 1782
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:05 pm

Re: 5 Warriors named in England squad

Post by Nezza Faz » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:43 am

Herbie Farnworth is another good option at Centre, as for wingers I'd have Makinson and Johnstone (if fit - both ?).

CheshireWarrior
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Re: 5 Warriors named in England squad

Post by CheshireWarrior » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:04 am

Nezza Faz wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:43 am
Herbie Farnworth is another good option at Centre, as for wingers I'd have Makinson and Johnstone (if fit - both ?).
Quality player Johnstone (with all respect to Wakey), he is wasted there IMO!

pedro
Posts: 4392
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:37 pm

Re: 5 Warriors named in England squad

Post by pedro » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:09 pm

Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:29 am
pedro wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:09 pm
Wane said he would pick off form, then chooses Manfredi, Thompson, Percival, Gildart and more, who havent played game
To be fair the only one in there i disagree with is Manfredi who has featured little in the last 3 years

Thompson was the leagues best prop and only isnt playing in the NRL due to suspension
Percival is playing isnt he? and is one of our best strike centres - likewise Gildart is probably the classiest centre England have in a position we really struggle in

Dom though has got because of his Wigan connection there are plenty decent wingers to chose from Tom Davies should be in the ahead of him
percival hasnt played since before the GF, Thompson was poor in teh NRL last year and was class 2 years ago....that doesnt warrant an International call up, Watts should be in before him for a start
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1857407490.png

User avatar
Mike
Site Admin
Posts: 5816
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:54 pm
Contact:

Re: 5 Warriors named in England squad

Post by Mike » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:49 pm

I guess form goes into last year, it would be hard to pick on form only over the two rounds we've had so far. I don't think Manfredi should be in TBH, I can barely remember his form whenever his last playing stint was.

nathan_rugby
Posts: 2493
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Re: 5 Warriors named in England squad

Post by nathan_rugby » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:31 pm

Shocking decision from Wane to include Manfredi. Not really sure what he’s basing that off.

Fairly decent squad overall, couple of strange exclusions though.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."

Charriots Offiah
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: 5 Warriors named in England squad

Post by Charriots Offiah » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:59 pm

pedro wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:09 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:29 am
pedro wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:09 pm
Wane said he would pick off form, then chooses Manfredi, Thompson, Percival, Gildart and more, who havent played game
To be fair the only one in there i disagree with is Manfredi who has featured little in the last 3 years

Thompson was the leagues best prop and only isnt playing in the NRL due to suspension
Percival is playing isnt he? and is one of our best strike centres - likewise Gildart is probably the classiest centre England have in a position we really struggle in

Dom though has got because of his Wigan connection there are plenty decent wingers to chose from Tom Davies should be in the ahead of him
percival hasnt played since before the GF, Thompson was poor in teh NRL last year and was class 2 years ago....that doesnt warrant an International call up, Watts should be in before him for a start
Percival has played this season.

Charriots Offiah
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:14 pm

Re: 5 Warriors named in England squad

Post by Charriots Offiah » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:04 pm

Where’s James Bentley in that list? He is now being promoted as the next John Bateman!

Post Reply