Lam previews York

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Lam previews York

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam looks ahead to Wigan’s Betfred Challenge Cup tie against York

Lam: “We’ve got to try and go there with a great attitude and play well.”

York City Knights v Wigan Warriors, Fri 9th April, LNER Community Stadium, K.O. 7:45pm

Head coach Adrian Lam believes his side must approach Friday’s Betfred Challenge Cup tie against York City Knights with a ‘great attitude’ if they are to progress into the Quarter Finals.

The Cherry and Whites travel to the LNER Stadium on Friday evening in their first visit to the new home of the Yorkshire based side (K.O. 7:45pm).

Speaking to the media via Zoom link on Tuesday, the Papua New Guinean discussed his admiration for James Ford’s side.

“I’ve watched them quite a lot in recent seasons. I spent a lot of time up there when we get time off and can travel. I think they are a good club heading in the right direction.”

And while plenty will have the Warriors down as favourites, Lam explained why he won’t be taking their league status for granted.

“I don’t think many will give them a chance, but I think that is unfair. They are a tough side and have some Super League experience there that have been there and done it in the past.

“We’ve got to try and go there with a great attitude and play well.

“With only two games into the season it gives us another chance to play well and perform at our best.”

The news broke on Tuesday morning of the latest England squad announcement, with five Wigan players being included in Shaun Wane’s next training group.

When asked about his players being involved in international camps, Lam said: “It’s an honour and a boost for our players.

“When they are added to the international level those players can hold their heads high. It’s something we support and we’re sure that we will work with the programmes to ensure the best for all the players.”

The head coach also provided an update on full back Bevan French, who has begun training with the squad after completing his isolation following his return flight from Australia.

“He’s back in training. It’s day one back on the field with us today. There’s no chance of him being involved at the weekend.

“He’s ok but he needs a couple more weeks to get up to speed with the rest of the squad and we need to be patient with him.”

How to watch

York City Knights v Wigan Warriors will be broadcast live on a number of online platforms via The Sportsman. You can find the game for free on the following:

The Sportsman Youtube channel
The Sportsman Facebook page
The Sportsman Website

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/04/ ... iews-york/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan