O’Neill joins Widnes on loan

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

O’Neill joins Widnes on loan

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors can confirm that young forward Brad O’Neill has signed for Widnes Vikings on a four-week loan deal.

O’Neill, 18, has experience at both hooker and loose forward and will join Betfred Championship side Widnes ahead of their league clash with Dewsbury Rams on Saturday.

The England Youth and Academy international has first team experience having featured in the Warriors’ pre-season friendly against Salford Red Devils in March.

O’Neill, who has represented Lancashire Academy, joined up with the Widnes squad this week ahead of Saturday’s fixture, and will be in contention for his debut.

Warriors head of youth, Darrell Goulding, said: “This is a fantastic opportunity for Brad. It is a chance to test himself at a high level, playing Championship rugby regularly. He has progressed through the Wigan Academy over the past few years, and I feel his size and skill will be a great addition to Widnes’ team.”

The Warriors wish Brad all the best in his loan spell at Widnes.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/04/ ... s-on-loan/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Re: O’Neill joins Widnes on loan

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I like the look of this lad, it will be interesting to see how he progresses at a higher level.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

My only concern is that pitch at Widnes. We have suffered some horrendous knee injuries on there, Shorrocks, Burgess, Gregson etc and O'Neill is only just coming back from an acl injury (full knee reconstruction)

We're not the only team either, Makinson also ruptured his acl there.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:10 am My only concern is that pitch at Widnes. We have suffered some horrendous knee injuries on there, Shorrocks, Burgess, Gregson etc and O'Neill is only just coming back from an acl injury (full knee reconstruction)

I cant believe they are still using that surface to be honest
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:10 am My only concern is that pitch at Widnes. We have suffered some horrendous knee injuries on there, Shorrocks, Burgess, Gregson etc and O'Neill is only just coming back from an acl injury (full knee reconstruction)

I agree about the pitch being an issue although ACL injuries seem to be far more prevalent now. I think the RFL should engage in research with a view to understanding why and how they can be reduced.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:26 pm

I agree about the pitch being an issue although ACL injuries seem to be far more prevalent now. I think the RFL should engage in research with a view to understanding why and how they can be reduced.
I would have thought it would have to be less force through the knee, so slow the game down, less fit players etc.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐