Tonight’s game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Re: Tonight’s game

Post by nathan_rugby »

DaveO wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:25 pm
East Stand Faithful wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:46 pm Why aren’t Wigan top of the table?
They are using the win % thing again this season. Must be expecting games to be cancelled due to covid again as that's the only reason I can think why they are doing it.
That’s exactly why they’re doing it.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

DaveO wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:27 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:32 pm Well job done I suppose not a great performance but a good win in the end.

Hardaker MOM for me despite his kicking
Hardaker is playing very well at the moment, goal kicking aside. We seem to be relying on bits if individual good play to win games so there is plenty of room for improvement overall.
Agree....and that's just where we want to be at this stage of the season.

Another good sign is that we look calm and confident. Everyone knows their job and gets on with it. No panic.

Add to this the players to come back in, and we're looking very good.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Ugly as sin and won't stay in the memory long but I've seen us lose games like that in the past, so a win is good to have.
Looks like poor discipline is here to stay so we'll have to put up with it.
Isa, who is playing the best he's ever played for the club, might be unlucky at a disciplinary next week. He didn't lift the player above the horizontal but the Leeds player threw his standing leg in the air and created the illusion . Don't imagine the judges will take any note of that.
I'd like to see us score tries as a direct result of forward pressure but at least, we have individuals capable of creating tries from moments of inspiration.
Just need to sort that hole in the middle of the defence that regularly appears when the oppo uses a quick PTB. Daryl Clark will have noted it.
Still, can't have everything.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

I was really pleased with the young lads again last night, Shorrocks, Smithies and Havard in particular all had top games, their work rate is superb. They need to tidy up a few of the "soft" penalties but I expect that will come with experience.
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Is it now a ploy to give teams the first 20 mins.This will surely bite them in a important match against one of the top teams .Kicking penaltys and goals will have to be sorted We never finish teams off with a big score now
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Southern Softy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:18 am Ugly as sin and won't stay in the memory long but I've seen us lose games like that in the past, so a win is good to have.
Isa, who is playing the best he's ever played for the club, might be unlucky at a disciplinary next week. He didn't lift the player above the horizontal but the Leeds player threw his standing leg in the air and created the illusion . Don't imagine the judges will take any note of that.
I'd like to see us score tries as a direct result of forward pressure but at least, we have individuals capable of creating tries from moments of inspiration.
Just need to sort that hole in the middle of the defence that regularly appears when the oppo uses a quick PTB. Daryl Clark will have noted it.
Poor discipline here to stay?

Can you elaborate please.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

No straw damn us wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:11 am I was really pleased with the young lads again last night, Shorrocks, Smithies and Havard in particular all had top games, their work rate is superb. They need to tidy up a few of the "soft" penalties but I expect that will come with experience.
Disagree with Harvard, made a few mistakes from memory and didn’t seem to make as many yards as normal. He’s allowed an off / average game though.
Looks light for a prop, has he ever played 2nd row? Although we have an abundance there so maybe not.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Thought the effort was there in abundance. Again, only conceded one try. With so many missing it was a very good defensive effort by all.
Either us or the refs must get a bit wiser. As has been said, Leeds won a pen due to Isa "lifting" above the horizontal. The Leeds player clearly lifted his own standing leg which gave the appearance that Isa had lifted both which he hadn't.
Leeds also have a game plan to strip the ball. They won a clear one on one but most involve three players until the ball stripper has it then the others peel off the tackle. Either we keep it or when the opposing players are winning the strip with three in the tackle drop the ball to the ground for a certain penalty.
Also like the kicking game from Hastings to Broadbent their fb. Kicked it on top of his head so he had to stand still to take it then when it was caught he got battered time and time again by three or four Wigan tacklers. That took away his attacking options as the lad must have been exhausted. Then come 20 mins to go and the mistakes came, through I'm sure tiredness.
I'm no fan of Lam by any means but he's got us through these opening fixtures with wins and he must take credit for that. In his interview with Brooks the relief in his voice was palpable.
With players returning to add pace to the backs then things are looking good.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:53 am
Southern Softy wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:18 am Ugly as sin and won't stay in the memory long but I've seen us lose games like that in the past, so a win is good to have.
Poor discipline here to stay?

Can you elaborate please.
It's a feature of every game and it's been there for a while. Not talking about all the offsides - that happens to every team but our forwards have a tendency to get involved instead of simply not falling for wind-up tactics. Often it's Smithies, although he seemed to keep his temper (mostly) in check last night which was good to see but Partington's grabbing of a foot when he had the ball to concede possession was just dumb. We also get into positions when we could keep a team pinned near their line with a decent kick and then a lazy arm or a flop loses us field position. Conceding a set restart or a penalty on the last tackle is irritating.
We're not a side like Leeds who are conditioned to foul and we don't have wind-up merchants like Austin or Coote or LMS but think how good we could be if we cut out the careless and occasionally petulant stuff.
Our guys are too good to have to do that.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

The hardaker disallowed try baffled me..... the ball was clearly stripped and zak clearly got his hand on the ball....... no brainer 100% a try in my book
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE