Adrian Lam's series of bold pre-season decisions he nailed after Wigan Warriors' superb start

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Adrian Lam's series of bold pre-season decisions he nailed after Wigan Warriors' superb start

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 am
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:06 pm I’m gonna buck the trend here and say I’m not sure it’s a prop we need I think it’s a couple of fast powerful wingers that’s the issue

We have singleton and bullock who to me are as good as any super league props. Let’s face it very very few teams use props to get out their first 20 - the first few carries in lost sets now are taken by wingers to disrupt the line that’s when your props come in around the 3rd/4th tackle once the oppo is on the back foot

At the moment we don’t have that we will miss burgess - Dom will play this role but in general we have small backs compared to other teams

You need good ruck speed a couple of scoots for the first few tackles fine the ground then fast potb to your hard running props

As has previously been said Powell for all his strengths has no running game so I do think opposing defences have it easier with us as they don’t have to watch the ruck area like you do with any other team most of whom have a 9 who can scoot. I’m not Powell bashing but it does mean when he comes in the opposition know they can ignore the ruck as even if he goes they can react in time to stop him
Singleton and Bullock are not as good as any other Super League props.

What have you been watching?

They’re good don’t get me wrong but not close to some of the leading props.
My point wasnt that they were the best in superleague that they are as good as any - maybe ill change that - good as most.

For me the issue still stands we arent short of some god like prop that can drive us out of a situaiton our problem is at the moment we dont have the backs to do the hard work and get the team on the front foot especially give we have a slow 9.

put it this way look at the top 20 metre makers in the league so far this season - all but 3 are backs - not forwards. Backs make a big differences in getting you on the front foot - of those 3, 2 of the forwards in there are Wigan forwards in Bateman and Farrell the only prop in there is warmsley (probably the best in the league) but hes 20th - top is Zak but you will find most clubs use wingers and centres heavily in exit sets and that i think is where we are short

put Alex Warmsley in our current team and i dont think he makes have his meters
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure