Adrian Lam's series of bold pre-season decisions he nailed after Wigan Warriors' superb start

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam's series of bold pre-season decisions he nailed after Wigan Warriors' superb start

Post by josie andrews »

Lam made a number of key calls that came under scrutiny in the off-season, but he's been proven right on every one.

It's funny to think that around a month ago Wigan Warriors fans were heading into the season with a feeling of trepidation about what was ahead

Wigan had endured a pre-season from hell. A Covid outbreak had dismantled their preparations. George Burgess retired on medical grounds and the mysteriously long absences of Jackson Hastings and Bevan French were of growing concern.

Liam Marshall was always going to miss the start of the year but injuries to Oliver Gildart and Dom Manfredi, on top of a stack of departures in the off-season, left Wigan looking extremely fragile.

There was no recruitment in the pipeline and the growing speculation over Hastings and French was uncomforting for many.

From the outside looking in, all did not seem well within the inner sanctums of Robin Park.

Let me add here, that questions weren't only being asked by the fans, but by the media too.

There were murmurings of scrutiny over the extended length of absence Lam was allowing the Australian duo. Several questioned the club's decision not to bolster its squad despite numerous departures.

And here we are now, with Lam's men four from four at the start of the season and looking ominously good.

Lam has made some major decisions and got them all right.

He never panicked when Burgess retired. He backed the players at his disposal to do the business despite people doubting their reluctance to recruit.

Since then, Joe Shorrocks has stepped up and added fresh dynamism to the way they play, Liam Byrne has grown in stature with more minutes under the belt. Lam could have taken the easy option and recruited but he backed those at the club and they've vindicated his show of faith. Crucially, they're becoming better players under his watch.

Hastings is already back to his best. There are no signs of lethargy or rustiness from a shorter pre-season, just evidence of a matchwinner already doing the business despite an extended lay-off. Allowing Hastings to stay in Australia for so long was a gamble, though Lam may privately admit it was a management strategy to keep him happy. Whatever it was, given Hastings' early form, it was another decision he got right.

French hasn't played yet, some will rightly point out. There's believed to be personal reasons behind the latter stages of his absence, but again, without yet another key man, Lam has orchestrated wins.

Granted, he's got Zak Hardaker to thank partly for that, with his return to fullback resulting in the 29-year-old producing arguably career-best form.

Lam could have been very tempted to risk French against Leeds despite a very slight back niggle, given his two starting centres on Thursday were forwards. However, he didn't. Hardaker, continuing at fullback, and makeshift centre Liam Farrell, were ultimately two of the star players on the night. He got it right again.

Lam's next challenge will be managing his fullback conundrum. Returning Hardaker to centre after such sublime performances would be a bold call to say the least. To move French away from a position he was so, so good in last year is another massive call. Handling the emotions of the two players will be a massive challenge to his management skills.

But so far he's got everything right, and let's not forget, without a string of key players.

Marshall and Manfredi, the club's first-choice wingers, haven't played yet this season. Gildart, an international centre, is still weeks away. Jai Field, one of two major signings in the off-season, played 19 minutes before being ruled out for five months. Few clubs would handle the loss of five key players as well as Wigan are doing right now.

But it's the Papua New Guinean's unwavering belief in his players that deserves credit. His faith and affection for his squad shine through when he speaks but also through the decisions he makes. Currently, the players justify his decisions with what they're producing on the pitch.

Quietly, Lam is assembling quite a record at the helm.

They've won 11 of their last 13 games and he boasts a win record of 66.7 per cent. Shaun Wane's reign ended at 67.5 per cent.

Bigger challenges await Wigan. They have, with no disrespect intended, beaten the two relegation favourites, a part-time Championship team and a Leeds side bludgeoned by injuries more extremely than even the Warriors.

But after a pre-season of such turmoil, their start is nothing short of remarkable, and Lam deserves great credit for his entire handling of it.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... c6b29f4eab
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Re: Adrian Lam's series of bold pre-season decisions he nailed after Wigan Warriors' superb start

Post by southportcdm »

Interesting article. I agree with most of the points about Lammy's correct decisions so far but we've not played a good team yet and the Burgess situation isn't resolved yet. It's not Lam's fault that the Burgess situation dragged on for so long as I assume that George didn't agree to go until he was ready rather than at a time that suited the club. But until we're able to sign a good replacement and have a successful season or are able to win something without a new signing then the Burgess situation could adversley affect two seasons even though he hardly played at all. I don't know how much say Lammy has in making signings so it may well be that it's not one of his decisions that decides ultimately how successful we are this season. I know that we have a some excellent young players who will be stronger next season but we're also likely to lose one or both of Hastings and French. I think, with the correct signing, we're more likely to win this year than next so it's important that somebody with influence at the club get it right.
warriors01

Re: Adrian Lam's series of bold pre-season decisions he nailed after Wigan Warriors' superb start

Post by warriors01 »

We will be in the same position next year for recruitment as this. We need a hard running prop because we are struggling to go forward a centre and winger. Because next year Hardaker, Smith and Field will replace Tommy, Hastings and French.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

warriors01 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:05 pm We will be in the same position next year for recruitment as this. We need a hard running prop because we are struggling to go forward a centre and winger. Because next year Hardaker, Smith and Field will replace Tommy, Hastings and French.
Maybe field will go to fullback......a bit too early to tell yet but defo need another prop and winger atm
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I’m gonna buck the trend here and say I’m not sure it’s a prop we need I think it’s a couple of fast powerful wingers that’s the issue

We have singleton and bullock who to me are as good as any super league props. Let’s face it very very few teams use props to get out their first 20 - the first few carries in lost sets now are taken by wingers to disrupt the line that’s when your props come in around the 3rd/4th tackle once the oppo is on the back foot

At the moment we don’t have that we will miss burgess - Dom will play this role but in general we have small backs compared to other teams

You need good ruck speed a couple of scoots for the first few tackles fine the ground then fast potb to your hard running props

As has previously been said Powell for all his strengths has no running game so I do think opposing defences have it easier with us as they don’t have to watch the ruck area like you do with any other team most of whom have a 9 who can scoot. I’m not Powell bashing but it does mean when he comes in the opposition know they can ignore the ruck as even if he goes they can react in time to stop him
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:06 pm I’m gonna buck the trend here and say I’m not sure it’s a prop we need I think it’s a couple of fast powerful wingers that’s the issue

We have singleton and bullock who to me are as good as any super league props. Let’s face it very very few teams use props to get out their first 20 - the first few carries in lost sets now are taken by wingers to disrupt the line that’s when your props come in around the 3rd/4th tackle once the oppo is on the back foot

At the moment we don’t have that we will miss burgess - Dom will play this role but in general we have small backs compared to other teams

You need good ruck speed a couple of scoots for the first few tackles fine the ground then fast potb to your hard running props

As has previously been said Powell for all his strengths has no running game so I do think opposing defences have it easier with us as they don’t have to watch the ruck area like you do with any other team most of whom have a 9 who can scoot. I’m not Powell bashing but it does mean when he comes in the opposition know they can ignore the ruck as even if he goes they can react in time to stop him
Singleton and Bullock are not as good as any other Super League props.

What have you been watching?

They’re good don’t get me wrong but not close to some of the leading props.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Did Lam anticipate that French wouldn't have played up to now? Very good reasons for him returning late as we know but was it anticipated?
Hastings ran it tight and I doubt that was on Lam's schedule back in Nov/Dec.
He's not sorted out our goal kicking problem. Almost all of us think that one day poor goal kicking will cost us in tight games. Three choices, Zac improves, Hankinson returns and takes over or, bring in a top class goal kicker.
Has he ever thought that overall the squad maybe too small in stature? As has been said we've no big backs who can take ball up like Pat Richards and Gelling could. This is taking its toll every game as we have difficulty getting out of our own end. The problem there is not the props but big fast backs which presently we don't have. Props haven't taken the ball out of our end for 10 years. That work is done by backs with a forward maybe taking one carry in a set.

Although, we have won what we've faced and even in view of all our injuries Lam has got us unbeaten and for that he does deserves praise.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I am right in assuming that Adrian Lam wrote the article aren't I?
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

We're doomed!

An excellent article that sums up a good start to the season. Well balanced too, as it says we've played weaker or weakened teams. But what a response from Wigan fans!! We're doomed, Captain Mainwaring, we're all doomed.

It's alright having high standards and always wanting to improve, but what I want to know is what does Lammy or the team have to do for us to be allowed to celebrate? Or when do all the doomsters take a week off?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:07 pm Did Lam anticipate that French wouldn't have played up to now? Very good reasons for him returning late as we know but was it anticipated?
Hastings ran it tight and I doubt that was on Lam's schedule back in Nov/Dec.
He's not sorted out our goal kicking problem. Almost all of us think that one day poor goal kicking will cost us in tight games. Three choices, Zac improves, Hankinson returns and takes over or, bring in a top class goal kicker.
Has he ever thought that overall the squad maybe too small in stature? As has been said we've no big backs who can take ball up like Pat Richards and Gelling could. This is taking its toll every game as we have difficulty getting out of our own end. The problem there is not the props but big fast backs which presently we don't have. Props haven't taken the ball out of our end for 10 years. That work is done by backs with a forward maybe taking one carry in a set.

Although, we have won what we've faced and even in view of all our injuries Lam has got us unbeaten and for that he does deserves praise.
Once French and Hastings leave and the club release Club, Clarke & Lulu then I hope they could bring in a goal kicking centre, a goal kicking halfback and meaty 2 props. Surely there will be enough money and cap space when it is added to GB's money.

Kotoni Staggs
Adam Reynolds
or
George Williams
Martin Taupau
Liam Watts

Would be nice