Lam: Showed courage

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Lam: Showed courage

Post by josie andrews »

Adrian Lam reacts to Wigan’s victory over Castleford Tigers at the DW Stadium.

Lam: “I thought we were really tough and courageous.”

FT| Wigan Warriors 22-12 Castleford Tigers.

Adrian Lam praised Wigan’s resilience in their victory over Castleford Tigers on Thursday night at the DW Stadium.

The Warriors extended their unbeaten run to five games in all competitions in their victory over Daryl Powell’s men in part thanks to a double from Bevan French.

Reacting to the game following the full time whistle, the Papua New Guinean explained how impressed he was with his side’s efforts.

“They were an undefeated side and have some players that can really hurt you. We were tough to play today and everyone turned up.

“I thought we were really tough and courageous. A few moments went against us and we showed resilience. Our defence was great and we completed in the 90s [%], and it doesn’t get much better than that in Rugby League.”

Despite the good win, the head coach highlighted areas he hoped his side would improve.

“There’s still areas to fix, particularly discipline, so we need to work on that to keep improving. “

Lam highlighted the performance of the returning Bevan French in particular, who he was impressed with on the night in scoring two tries.

It was good to get him back out there. He gives the changing room confidence by just being there ready to go.

“I’m really pleased for him and the rest of the group. He’s going to take a few weeks to get right, so we are really excited to see where he will get too.”

There was also time for an update on club captain TommyLeuluai, who was a late miss on the matchday squad due to injury.

“It’ll be two-to-three weeks. He has an issue with his sternum. We will just have to manage that process.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/04/ ... d-courage/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Lam: Showed courage

Post by josie andrews »

Lam highlighted the performance of the returning Bevan French in particular, who he was impressed with on the night in scoring two tries.

It was good to get him back out there. He gives the changing room confidence by just being there ready to go.

“I’m really pleased for him and the rest of the group. He’s going to take a few weeks to get right, so we are really excited to see where he will get too.”
That made me titter! If that’s Bevan a few weeks away from his best..... God help SL 😂
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

French flurry tames Tigers

Match report as Wigan Warriors beat Castleford Tigers at the DW Stadium.

Bevan French grabs two tries in his first game of 2021 for the Warriors.

FT | Wigan Warriors 22-12 Castleford Tigers.

Bevan French was back with a bang as his two tries helped Wigan overcome Castleford Tigers at the DW Stadium on Thursday evening.

The Australian’s two tries were accompanied on the score sheet by efforts from Zak Hardaker and Sam Powell to put the result beyond a spirited Tigers side.

Adrian Lam’s side extend their winning run to five games in all competitions with the victory on home soil.

Both sides began cautiously, completing their opening sets in the opening 10 minutes while not looking overly threatening.

It was the visitors who broke the deadlock through winger Derrell Olpherts in the 15th. Attacking the Wigan right, a swift pass from Peter Mata’utia freed up the winger to go over in the corner.

The Warriors struck back 10 minutes later through in-form full back Zak Hardaker. Fantastic play on the last from Harry Smith saw the scrum half break the Cas line with 15 metres to go. Smith then offloaded brilliantly as he lost his footing to find Hardaker following up to collect and touch down.

The Tigers went ahead in the 31st minute thanks to a converted penalty from reigning Man of Steel Paul McShane.

Wigan soon hit back through the returning Bevan French. A pacey move down the left edge saw Liam Farrell feed the Australian to go over in the corner.

Despite starting the brighter of the two sides in the second half, it was Wigan who conceded first. Castleford’s Olpherts grabbed his second of the game in the 46th, despite the best efforts of French defending his own goal line.

The Warriors soon struck back thanks to a second from French. A swift set had the visitors back-peddling and Jackson Hastings took advantage of this by kicking on the third into the corner from 40 metres out. French left his marker and galloped onto the ball to score a brilliant try.

Wigan hooker Sam Powell put the result beyond doubt in the 76th with a vintage run from dummy half diving over for a four-pointer.

Wigan Warriors: Zak Hardaker, Jake Bibby, Willie Isa, Liam Farrell, Bevan French, Harry Smith, Jackson Hastings, Brad Singleton, Sam Powell, Tony Clubb, John Bateman, Morgan Smithies, Oliver Partington.

Interchanges: Joe Shorrocks, Joe Bullock, Liam Byrne, Ethan Havard.

Tries: Hardaker (25′), French (36′, 52′), Powell (76′)

Goals: Hardaker (3/4)

Castleford Tigers: Niall Evalds, Derrell Olpherts, Peter Mata’utia, Michael Shenton, Greg Eden, Jordan Turner, Jake Trueman, Tyla Hepi, Paul McShane, Liam Watts, Cheyse Blair, Oliver Holmes, Nathan Massey.

Interchanges: Grant Millington, Adam Milner, Lewis Bienek, Brad Martin

Tries: Olpherts (15′, 47′)

Goals: McShane (1/2)

Penalties: McShane (31′)

Referee: Chris Kendall

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/04/ ... es-tigers/
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:08 pm

That made me titter! If that’s Bevan a few weeks away from his best..... God help SL 😂
Im full of praise for signing French, a real coup!
I watched french in the Nrl and he was exciting to watch.
First time in a long time I’ve been really excited we’ve a player signed
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Full of praise for IL and rads I mean for the signing. Sorry haven’t been awake long, missing some of my words. Ha