Joe Shorrocks hopes to show Wigan Warriors don't need to sign a prop

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Joe Shorrocks hopes to show Wigan Warriors don't need to sign a prop

Post by josie andrews »

Joe Shorrocks is hoping his strong performances convince Wigan they do not need to bolster their prop ranks and seek a replacement for George Burgess.

Since Burgess left the club due to an ongoing hip problem earlier this year, many have questioned whether the Warriors will look to replace him with a new signing.

The club have yet to bring anyone in and in the meantime, Shorrocks is among the homegrown forwards who have caught the eye.

The 21-year-old has figured in all five of Wigan’s games, all victories - just two short of the seven total he managed last season in his breakout campaign.

He said: “After George told the lads he was leaving, I thought they might sign another prop and I had in my head that they don’t need to, that I’m here and I’ve worked hard to try and stay in the team.

“Personally I’ve been happy with the start, in pre-season I set my goal to get in the team and play as many games as I can and so far I’ve been involved in all the games, so I’m happy.”

Shorrocks was even given an extended spell against Leeds after coach Adrian Lam was happy with the way he was troubling the opposition.

“I did 50 odd minutes and the more I play the better,” said Shorrocks, who is comfortable either at prop or in the loose forward role.

We do look at it as three middles and whether it’s me or someone else at loose forward, there’s just a bit more ball movement than at prop, that’s the only difference.

“Lockers has helped me in pre-season with ball movement, there’s nobody better to learn from.”

Shorrocks' five appearances this year included the Challenge Cup win at York which saw him joined by four other ex-pupils from St Peter's High School in Orrell - Ollie Partington, Jake Bibby, Sam Halsall and Umyla Hanley.

"Bibby said before the game, 'You realise there's five Peter's lads in', which is pretty good," added Shorrocks.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... op-3213824
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Caboosegg

Re: Joe Shorrocks hopes to show Wigan Warriors don't need to sign a prop

Post by Caboosegg »

All these articles makes me think it's a soft way of saying we are not getting replacements.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Could be right but to be fair to Joe, he does look the most improved player in the squad so far (of the younger, non-established ones, that is.)
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:55 am All these articles makes me think it's a soft way of saying we are not getting replacements.
How?

Did Wigan contact Phil Wilkinson and get him to ask these questions and then prepared Joe to give that response?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Maybe he can replace Mitch Clarek, Too young to fill the boots of G Burgess 8-) :D
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Joe is an excellent prospect but I think he is more suited to the loose forward role. He doesn't offer what the likes of a fit George Burgess does and we need that sort of prop to compliment our other forwards.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Southern Softy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:21 pm Could be right but to be fair to Joe, he does look the most improved player in the squad so far (of the younger, non-established ones, that is.)
I've nothing against the lad but i'm not sure I have seen anything in him.

Obviously Lam has *shrugs*
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:22 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:55 am All these articles makes me think it's a soft way of saying we are not getting replacements.
How?

Did Wigan contact Phil Wilkinson and get him to ask these questions and then prepared Joe to give that response?
Do you believe that the Club has no involvement in what a player can and can't say in relation to their brand in interviews.

I have nothing against its being said, and I'm not to fussed but when the last 2 interviews have both had the exact same theme of to show a replacement isn't needed I read into it as PR from the club.

Again this isn't saying I'm bothered both Shorrocks and Smith are going well.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

I don't think that Joe is implying that he can take the place of a prop. The point is that if we had a new prop that was better than most of those we already have we may play three props from the bench and Joe would be less likely to play. Having said that, if Joe can fill in at hooker when required as he has done in a couple of games, he'd be even more useful to the squad. I think our 'prop problem' has been underplayed so far because we've not had many injuries. If we had two of: Bullock, Singleton, Havard and Byrne injured for a few weeks we'd be struggling especially if Lammy refuses to play Clarke. I read that Lammy stopped a move for Clarke to Toulouse which perhaps implies that we're not close to signing anybody.
HDS

Post by HDS »

I think Joe is improving very much, but I feel he is on the small side for a prop at the moment.

I feel he his better suited to the Loose Forward role, he his mobile and has good handling skills. He is
making a very good impact from the bench!

He is certainly a vital part of the first team squad and adds to the team in whatever position he plays.