I'm backing myself 100 per cent" - Zak Hardaker eyes England full-back spot

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

I'm backing myself 100 per cent" - Zak Hardaker eyes England full-back spot

Post by josie andrews »

Zak Hardaker has boldly declared he should be the frontrunner for the England full-back spot.

And the 29-year-old has no intention of surrendering the position at Wigan without a fight now that Bevan French is back in the mix.

Hardaker, who switched to centre last season, said: "Lammy is the coach, it's up to him but at the moment I'm not moving from full-back.

"Last year I was happy to do what's best for the team and I want to win at all costs, but at the minute I'm not moving. It's an England World Cup year for me, I don't want to be too selfish - if I play poor and he sits me in the office and says he's putting Bevan there, I'll say, 'fair dos'.

But until I play bad I'm not moving mate."

England and ex-Wigan coach Shaun Wane has already revealed Catalans' former Warrior Sam Tomkins would be his No.1 if he was naming his World Cup side now.

Hardaker believes he should be in pole position in the race for the coveted spot which includes Hull FC's Jake Connor, his likely opponent in Wigan's next two matches.

"I've always been modest but I've seen a few of the boys' interviews, backing themselves for the No.1, and I'm backing myself 100 per cent," he said. "I know Shaun Wane said if he was picking his England team tomorrow he'd pick Sam, but if you look at the stats and everything I'm the best full-back, so I've just got to keep that going.

At first I was being a bit modest, saying there's going to be four or five people (players going for it), but I'm getting to that point I'm that confident in myself there's not a full-back near me. I'm pretty confident in that, and I can back that up."

He continued: "I saw something (Sky Sports') Phil Clarke said about Sam Tomkins being one of the best defensive full-backs, but if I had to put my hat on something it would be being the best full-back defensively - certainly in the last 10 years."

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... ot-3215233
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Re: I'm backing myself 100 per cent" - Zak Hardaker eyes England full-back spot

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Good lad Zak, I like a player with confidence.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

That's all fine for me, but England need Sam Tomkins on the pitch.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:11 am That's all fine for me, but England need Sam Tomkins on the pitch.
I am with you on that, Sam is on a different planet than any other fullback in the competition. I wasn’t suggesting that Zak should be picked just that I was impressed with his attitude.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Agree with opinions on both Zak and Sam!

Sam Tomkins looks quality at Cats, his game management is superb! Personally id like to see him at 7, still as good at FB!

As for Zak, his early form speaks for itself. If he manages to displace Bevan from FB for the rest of the season, the England 1 Jersey could very well be easily decided.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Zak's in great form and Bevan will have a job getting the fb position for himself.
How the season develops we'll see but perhaps only injuries or suspension will provide the opening for Bev.
Competition for places, we are told, raises standards. With Zak's form, perhaps it does.
HDS

Post by HDS »

If Zac keep keeps his current form up and plays at Full Back on a regular basis, it would make sense to play Sam at Half Back for England.

Sam is more then capable of swapping positions, at the moment they are both worthy of playing for England!