Clubb suspended

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Clubb suspended

Post by moto748 »

Well said, morley.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:38 pm I remember watching the civil rights movement in the USA on TV in the 60s, and thinking "we're not like that here". Growing up in Hindley, I encountered very few black or other ethnic minority people. But on the odd occasion I did they were treated as curiosities maybe, but with friendliness and respect.

The biggest factor to influence my own views was the fact that my absolute number 1 hero was a bloke called Billy Boston. When I did come across prejudice or racist "jokes", I couldn't join in, or even comprehend why anyone could be racist, when King Bill was black.

Someone said that Wigan need to be seen to be doing "the right thing". I agree - but the right thing is not what modern convention or some RFL regulation says. It's the right thing for Billy, for Green Vigo, for Hendy, for Ellery, and for Bevan, Willie, Lammy.

Name-calling by/of Aussies, or between Lancashire and Yorkshire doesn't compare to what some of these blokes have had to put up with. We owe it to them to stamp out racism in our club and in our game.

(None of this assumes anything about what Clubby said.)
Agreed.

The fact some people on here have tried to bring up ‘pome’ or ‘welsh sheep’ shows a complete disregard for what the actual problem is today in society.

It isn’t just name calling.

Are people forgetting the slave trade? Or the fact that if your are black/ethnic minority in the UK you are more likely to be at the worst end of society? Systematic racism is a thing. BAME individuals on average are poorer, get worse education, have less desirable jobs and fewer opportunities.

It wasn’t too long ago numerous studies showed BAME individuals in the UK where more likely to die from Covid without any biological evidence. It was because they live in crowded urban areas and have jobs that put them at high risk (cleaners, bus drivers etc).
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:38 pm I remember watching the civil rights movement in the USA on TV in the 60s, and thinking "we're not like that here". Growing up in Hindley, I encountered very few black or other ethnic minority people. But on the odd occasion I did they were treated as curiosities maybe, but with friendliness and respect.

The biggest factor to influence my own views was the fact that my absolute number 1 hero was a bloke called Billy Boston. When I did come across prejudice or racist "jokes", I couldn't join in, or even comprehend why anyone could be racist, when King Bill was black.

Someone said that Wigan need to be seen to be doing "the right thing". I agree - but the right thing is not what modern convention or some RFL regulation says. It's the right thing for Billy, for Green Vigo, for Hendy, for Ellery, and for Bevan, Willie, Lammy.

Name-calling by/of Aussies, or between Lancashire and Yorkshire doesn't compare to what some of these blokes have had to put up with. We owe it to them to stamp out racism in our club and in our game.

(None of this assumes anything about what Clubby said.)
I agree. Education is needed from very early on. Once ppl get to a certain age its hard for them to want to change.

Been very lucky where i live in a small town in Gwynedd Caernarfon in the 70s we had a good few families come here from mainly China or Middle East.

First experience of racism for me was when the family living 2 doors away had to move from the destruction of the home to abused verbally by scumbags. This will shock a few but its true it was strange back then where i lived to meet anyone white whos first language was English. Virtually everyone spoke Welsh which most do today still.
Pbickerstaff

Post by Pbickerstaff »

You all go on about racism and the slave trade . This is historic, if everyone wants to be pedantic you can go back to the nazi and Jews, the Romans and the slaves they used in the collesium. It is historic but it is still not right. Calling some a English c—t or a Polynesian c—t is part of life it doesn’t physically hurt anyone. rise above it and concentrate on the other awful things that are happening in this world
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

This thread needs locking.

Posts like the above are a disgrace.

I’d get banned if I wrote an honest reply back.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
jobo

Post by jobo »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:48 am This thread needs locking.

Posts like the above are a disgrace.

I’d get banned if I wrote an honest reply back.
Agreed
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

Here we go. People don't like/agree with somebodies view point therefore let's shut them down. Until people are allowed to exchange opinions and openly discuss those views without being labelled racist, sexist, homophobic etc. nothing will ever change.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

mickali1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:59 am Here we go. People don't like/agree with somebodies view point therefore let's shut them down. Until people are allowed to exchange opinions and openly discuss those views without being labelled racist, sexist, homophobic etc. nothing will ever change.
Exactly ppl no longer wants to discuss only their view is what they want to hear.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

thegimble wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:09 am
mickali1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:59 am Here we go. People don't like/agree with somebodies view point therefore let's shut them down. Until people are allowed to exchange opinions and openly discuss those views without being labelled racist, sexist, homophobic etc. nothing will ever change.
Exactly ppl no longer wants to discuss only their view is what they want to hear.
And this what I meant by my “new world order” comment a couple of pages back,people can’t or won’t discuss things without reducing huge wave of our population to an acronym,social media has so much to answer for in this respect for “I’m right your wrong lock it down brigade”it’s little wonder debate is drying out
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Hope the dissaplinary only last 10 minutes or Clubb will be stuffed