Clubb suspended

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Clubb suspended

Post by morley pie eater »

Pbickerstaff wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:55 am You all go on about racism and the slave trade . This is historic, if everyone wants to be pedantic you can go back to the nazi and Jews, the Romans and the slaves they used in the collesium. It is historic but it is still not right. Calling some a English c—t or a Polynesian c—t is part of life it doesn’t physically hurt anyone. rise above it and concentrate on the other awful things that are happening in this world
I understand your "rise above it" advice, and said the same to my own kids when they complained about name-calling at school.

For you to apply it here equates petty, everyday casual name-calling of, say, a young kid at school, with abuse that some people suffer every day of their lives. I suspect that you've not experienced that and therefore haven't carefully considered that the two things are different.

Not only do they put up with abuse, but also find that they're disadvantaged in schooling, jobs, housing etc etc. And it's all based on one thing - their skin is a different colour to "ours".

If you put yourself in their shoes for a minute, how would you feel if some said "Rise above it, mate!" ?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:38 pm
Pbickerstaff wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:55 am You all go on about racism and the slave trade . This is historic, if everyone wants to be pedantic you can go back to the nazi and Jews, the Romans and the slaves they used in the collesium. It is historic but it is still not right. Calling some a English c—t or a Polynesian c—t is part of life it doesn’t physically hurt anyone. rise above it and concentrate on the other awful things that are happening in this world
I understand your "rise above it" advice, and said the same to my own kids when they complained about name-calling at school.

For you to apply it here equates petty, everyday casual name-calling of, say, a young kid at school, with abuse that some people suffer every day of their lives. I suspect that you've not experienced that and therefore haven't carefully considered that the two things are different.

Not only do they put up with abuse, but also find that they're disadvantaged in schooling, jobs, housing etc etc. And it's all based on one thing - their skin is a different colour to "ours".

If you put yourself in their shoes for a minute, how would you feel if some said "Rise above it, mate!" ?
When I was 5 I started a new class and was sat next to an Asian lad,for a few days we didn’t speak but soon enough we started talking and a firm friendship (for a five year old at least) was born and for the next five years or so until family moved down south we where both fixtures in each other’s homes,but even at that age he would get fearsome name calling (which still makes my teeth itch)and by association get a volley or two thrown my way,I asked my dad why it was happening and he explained as best he could the way of the world,to by then an 8 year old it was gobsmacking but he added words which always stuck with me”you can walk away and the name calling will stop he can’t be had of his colour”near 50 years on it still makes my blood boil and sad it’s as relevant today as back then.

Rascism makes my teeth itch but my biggest issue with the knee taking was a massive issue and turning it into a sideshow,rascism is far more important an issue and needs serious debate than to become a hashtag on Twitter.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Some of the posts here are pretty disgusting. Victim shaming. Racisms not really a problem, just ignore it etc. Complaints that you are criticized because people just disagree with your support for or desire to just ignore racism.

It's not just people here disagreeing with you, Why do you watch RL when the sport is actively trying to tell you your views are wrong every match and at every ground?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Tony Clubb may face ban of eight weeks-plus after being charged for alleged racist remark

Tony Clubb could face a ban of at least eight games after being hit with the most serious charge - Grade F- for an alleged racist comment.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rk-3222797
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
pedro

Post by pedro »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:38 pm

how? Im sure it is in america but how is it over here?
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I would respectfully suggest that anyone who thinks that this topic is 'part of life' or is less important than other aspects of how we live, takes a small amount of time and listens to Michael Holding and Ebony Rainford-Brent tell their stories about how racism was used against them and affected them personally.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

With all respects to everyone on here, I'd like to get back to the topic title 'Clubb suspended'. I appreciate this is a very sensitive and emotive subject, but it seems to have gone off course now to a political/interpretation debate and that's not what the original topic was designed for?

At this point now, I'm slightly confused, more so that Wigan Warriors haven't released an official statement (of any), yet Sky and BBC have?

The articles I've read on both Sky and BBC are relatively brief, but both highlight Tony Clubb has been charged.

Charged? What does this mean? Have the RFL actually obtained evidence (footage, mic, statements) or has he been charged simply as a result of the allegation? Investigated I 100% agree with, to be charged though?

Let me be crystal clear, if Tony Clubb is PROVEN to be guilty, I think he should be dismissed from the club and I think we as a club are very proactive in tackling ANY misconduct associated with us previously (to our credit).

I would like to go back to an earlier post I made (and standby), I still wouldn't like to pre-judge anything until clear facts are established and as i said above it is clearly PROVEN.

Maybe a statement will be provided after Tuesday.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:18 am With all respects to everyone on here, I'd like to get back to the topic title 'Clubb suspended'. I appreciate this is a very sensitive and emotive subject, but it seems to have gone off course now to a political/interpretation debate and that's not what the original topic was designed for?

At this point now, I'm slightly confused, more so that Wigan Warriors haven't released an official statement (of any), yet Sky and BBC have?

The articles I've read on both Sky and BBC are relatively brief, but both highlight Tony Clubb has been charged.

Charged? What does this mean? Have the RFL actually obtained evidence (footage, mic, statements) or has he been charged simply as a result of the allegation? Investigated I 100% agree with, to be charged though?

Let me be crystal clear, if Tony Clubb is PROVEN to be guilty, I think he should be dismissed from the club and I think we as a club are very proactive in tackling ANY misconduct associated with us previously (to our credit).

I would like to go back to an earlier post I made (and standby), I still wouldn't like to pre-judge anything until clear facts are established and as i said above it is clearly PROVEN.

Maybe a statement will be provided after Tuesday.
He has been charged because there is evidence.

Just the same as the people who have been charged for other disciplinary issues and issued match penalty notices.

Because of the serious nature of the charges Clubb was referred to tribunal.

So the fact it has gone this far means there is evidence for a conviction. the conviction however will be decided by the tribunal. I doubt it would get this far if he was going to get off with it or if there was no evidence.

Contract Termination has been spoken about within the club & Tony is aware of this.

Wigan wont release a statement until after the hearing
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

This is a very difficult situation for the club. All RL clubs and other sports in the UK plus the world of social media will be waiting to citicise any sign that we're soft on racism. Obviously I don't know the details of the charge and Clubby always seemed like a decent bloke to me but it looks like he's in the wrong. If he's proven guilty The RFL could do us a favour by banning Clubby for the rest of the season and taking the decision out of our hands. If they ban him for 8 -10 weeks the club will have to decide if we stand by him or make an example of him. Wigan have stated that they have a duty of care towards Clubby and they could be placed in a very difficult decision if the RFL bottle it. I assume that Wigan have consulted some or all of the players, especially those with non-white heritage. What do they do if one or more of the playing squad don't feel comfortable playing with Clubby from this point?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

southportcdm wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:05 am This is a very difficult situation for the club. All RL clubs and other sports in the UK plus the world of social media will be waiting to citicise any sign that we're soft on racism. Obviously I don't know the details of the charge and Clubby always seemed like a decent bloke to me but it looks like he's in the wrong. If he's proven guilty The RFL could do us a favour by banning Clubby for the rest of the season and taking the decision out of our hands. If they ban him for 8 -10 weeks the club will have to decide if we stand by him or make an example of him. Wigan have stated that they have a duty of care towards Clubby and they could be placed in a very difficult decision if the RFL bottle it. I assume that Wigan have consulted some or all of the players, especially those with non-white heritage. What do they do if one or more of the playing squad don't feel comfortable playing with Clubby from this point?
Good points

If he is found guilty it’s up to the RFL surely to hand out a ban that should last the season and the club can quietly release him as surely if found guilty there’s no place left for him?