Clubb suspended

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Fizz Bomb

Re: Clubb suspended

Post by Fizz Bomb »

Can l please ask where we go from here, how do you prove Club is guilty or otherwise when it’s one persons word against another? If there is no evidence that anything was said Clubb must be found “ not guilty “ so that may lead to some people claiming a coverup because to read some comments he is already been judged guilty. Where will that leave Savellio. Will he still be distraught and, as he says “get his own back on the pitch”? If he commit’s some foul play and gets sent off, at the disciplinary hearing can he claim it’s still part of the racist allegation ? Where does this end?
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

He’s a disgrace. Always thought 10 minute Clubb was abit of a bully but didn’t think he would make stoop this low.
Sacking is justified if he loses his appeal.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:18 am With all respects to everyone on here, I'd like to get back to the topic title 'Clubb suspended'. I appreciate this is a very sensitive and emotive subject, but it seems to have gone off course now to a political/interpretation debate and that's not what the original topic was designed for?

At this point now, I'm slightly confused, more so that Wigan Warriors haven't released an official statement (of any), yet Sky and BBC have?

The articles I've read on both Sky and BBC are relatively brief, but both highlight Tony Clubb has been charged.

Charged? What does this mean? Have the RFL actually obtained evidence (footage, mic, statements) or has he been charged simply as a result of the allegation? Investigated I 100% agree with, to be charged though?

Let me be crystal clear, if Tony Clubb is PROVEN to be guilty, I think he should be dismissed from the club and I think we as a club are very proactive in tackling ANY misconduct associated with us previously (to our credit).

I would like to go back to an earlier post I made (and standby), I still wouldn't like to pre-judge anything until clear facts are established and as i said above it is clearly PROVEN.

Maybe a statement will be provided after Tuesday.
I can answer that one. Yes it has.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

pedro wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:30 am
morley pie eater wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:38 pm
Pbickerstaff wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:55 am You all go on about racism and the slave trade . This is historic, if everyone wants to be pedantic you can go back to the nazi and Jews, the Romans and the slaves they used in the collesium. It is historic but it is still not right. Calling some a English c—t or a Polynesian c—t is part of life it doesn’t physically hurt anyone. rise above it and concentrate on the other awful things that are happening in this world
I understand your "rise above it" advice, and said the same to my own kids when they complained about name-calling at school.

For you to apply it here equates petty, everyday casual name-calling of, say, a young kid at school, with abuse that some people suffer every day of their lives. I suspect that you've not experienced that and therefore haven't carefully considered that the two things are different.

Not only do they put up with abuse, but also find that they're disadvantaged in schooling, jobs, housing etc etc. And it's all based on one thing - their skin is a different colour to "ours".

If you put yourself in their shoes for a minute, how would you feel if some said "Rise above it, mate!" ?
how? Im sure it is in america but how is it over here?
It's not difficult to get answers to your question, Pedro. For a simple example, it took me about 2 mins via Google to find this on a gov.uk website:

"78% of White people were employed, compared with 66% of people from all other ethnic groups combined..."

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.ser ... nd-figures
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Barney841 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:50 pm He’s a disgrace. Always thought 10 minute Clubb was abit of a bully but didn’t think he would make stoop this low.
Have I missed the tribunal results as this is still alleged according to news outlets.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Barney841 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:50 pm He’s a disgrace. Always thought 10 minute Clubb was abit of a bully but didn’t think he would make stoop this low.
I really don't want to venture off topic as the point of this was "innocent until proven guilty" which I passionately agree with.

However, based on what he has allegedly said, do you really think it's worthy of sacking, of depriving someone from their livelihood?

I've been called a lot worse during Rugby games, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Where do you draw the line? Do you think race should be a special case? What about religion? What about other "hurtful" comments?
How do you judge what is or isn't offensive?
Anyway I'm going off topic.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Wintergreen wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:37 pm
I really don't want to venture off topic as the point of this was "innocent until proven guilty" which I passionately agree with.

However, based on what he has allegedly said, do you really think it's worthy of sacking, of depriving someone from their livelihood?

I've been called a lot worse during Rugby games, and I'm sure I'm not alone. Where do you draw the line? Do you think race should be a special case? What about religion? What about other "hurtful" comments?
What I’ve said should only follow IF found guilty and is fully charged.
I know what your saying what you can and can’t say but we live in a society now where the slightest slur of what ever religion, skin colour etc isn’t tolerated. Rightly so as people should be who they wanna be.
And to be honest I just want rid of him, I think he’s stealing a place in our squad. I don’t call him 10 minute Clubb for nothing!
wall_of_voodoo

Post by wall_of_voodoo »

I don't think you've gone off topic wintergreen. If you remember Australian Union sacked Israel Folau for homophobic comments. When Catalans signed him there were plenty of RL chairmen (Wigan's included) against this. Indeed Folau's proposed move to St George collapsed as all the major sponsors threatened to drop the club if they went ahead and signed him

Can you honestly see Wigan play Tony Clubb again? Do you want Wigan to be associated with supporting players who have been found guilty of racist behavior? Would they themselves want to be associated? Can Lam etc ever look him in the face again knowing what he's said?

Not too sure of Hardaker previous misdemeanors but I'm sure the club felt he had been dealt with (at the time) and punished by his previous clubs.

For that reason Clubb will never play for Wigan again. We have to be seen to be taking a stance against this, even if it offends your moral judgement and means the player has to move on
I'm a better fan than you
Because I don't "Boo"!!!

Yes I bloody know transfer fees do not count on the salary cap for those illiterates that need it explaining to them because they assume everyone is as thick as they are :roll:
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

wall_of_voodoo wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:19 pm

I don't think you've gone off topic wintergreen. If you remember Australian Union sacked Israel Folau for homophobic comments. When Catalans signed him there were plenty of RL chairmen (Wigan's included) against this. Indeed Folau's proposed move to St George collapsed as all the major sponsors threatened to drop the club if they went ahead and signed him

Can you honestly see Wigan play Tony Clubb again? Do you want Wigan to be associated with supporting players who have been found guilty of racist behavior? Would they themselves want to be associated? Can Lam etc ever look him in the face again knowing what he's said?

Not too sure of Hardaker previous misdemeanors but I'm sure the club felt he had been dealt with (at the time) and punished by his previous clubs.

For that reason Clubb will never play for Wigan again. We have to be seen to be taking a stance against this, even if it offends your moral judgement and means the player has to move on
Again am I missing the outcome, its at tribunal today and is still alleged at this point. If its true I hope that the club part ways (same way any other person would get sacked) but until then.

From the MEN:

It is important to point out that Clubb has not yet been found guilty, although the fact he has been charged implies there is evidence to back up Andre Savelio’s claims that he was racially abused in the aftermath of Wigan’s clash with Hull last Thursday. Rugby League Live understands that there is a difference between what the two parties allege was said ahead of the hearing.

So it's word against word.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

There does not necessarily have to be any evidence.

See Section D2:26
https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/ ... html#p=192