Clubb suspended

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Clubb suspended

Post by morley pie eater »

moto748 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:45 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:57 pm
Touché, Monsieur L'Été Vert !

L'hiver, shurely? :D
Oops! 54 years since I did O-level French :lol:
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Personally I respect Clubb more for putting his hand up. Given this, plus the use of "Polynesian" rather than a reference to colour or a more offensive term, I'd say the club have got it about right.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
jobo

Post by jobo »

josie andrews wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:41 am
josie andrews wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:04 am
Mike wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:20 am

Why josie? Racism and lack of equality aren't a problem?
I just don’t like it Mike. Racism works both ways IMO but that’s just me I suppose.

We are told we can’t fly the Union Jack or an England flag at our homes in case it upsets someone! Can you imagine telling patriotic Americans they can’t fly the Star Spangled Banner outside their homes?

We, as English, are always worried about upsetting others with no regard about how it upsets us.

The world is just bloody crazy & I hate being a part of it now if truth be known!
Josie, not having a go at you and I understand your views but who has ever said you can't fly the Union flag or England flag?

Is it just that you feel if you were to do so, you would be singled out?
pedro

Post by pedro »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:05 pm
pedro wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:30 am
morley pie eater wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:38 pm

I understand your "rise above it" advice, and said the same to my own kids when they complained about name-calling at school.

For you to apply it here equates petty, everyday casual name-calling of, say, a young kid at school, with abuse that some people suffer every day of their lives. I suspect that you've not experienced that and therefore haven't carefully considered that the two things are different.

Not only do they put up with abuse, but also find that they're disadvantaged in schooling, jobs, housing etc etc. And it's all based on one thing - their skin is a different colour to "ours".

If you put yourself in their shoes for a minute, how would you feel if some said "Rise above it, mate!" ?
how? Im sure it is in america but how is it over here?
It's not difficult to get answers to your question, Pedro. For a simple example, it took me about 2 mins via Google to find this on a gov.uk website:

"78% of White people were employed, compared with 66% of people from all other ethnic groups combined..."

https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.ser ... nd-figures
but 87 percent of the country is white, so pretty good numbers them
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

The booze hound wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:58 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:52 pm Has anyone thought that Savelio may have said something to Clubb for him to respond the way he did?
I'd love the hear how the discussion went. I'd bet anyone a pound to a penny that Savelio said something that many people would find offensive too, probably not racist though.
Racism is unacceptable 100%, and would win any current game of Offensive Top Trumps.
I've watched the video footage back and after Clubb and Savelio were involved in the tackle, Clubb backs away from the tackle area to get back into the defensive line. He then suddenly stops and goes back in to confront Savelio and it's at that point probably that Clubb makes his comment. From the footage, it's pretty clear that something made Clubb stop and the likelihood is that Savelio made some remark to Clubb. I'm not condoning anything, just making an assumption based on the footage.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Fan4Fifty wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:20 pm
The booze hound wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:58 pm
josie andrews wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:52 pm Has anyone thought that Savelio may have said something to Clubb for him to respond the way he did?
I'd love the hear how the discussion went. I'd bet anyone a pound to a penny that Savelio said something that many people would find offensive too, probably not racist though.
Racism is unacceptable 100%, and would win any current game of Offensive Top Trumps.
I've watched the video footage back and after Clubb and Savelio were involved in the tackle, Clubb backs away from the tackle area to get back into the defensive line. He then suddenly stops and goes back in to confront Savelio and it's at that point probably that Clubb makes his comment. From the footage, it's pretty clear that something made Clubb stop and the likelihood is that Savelio made some remark to Clubb. I'm not condoning anything, just making an assumption based on the footage.
If that is true it would be nice of savellio to admit what he said first ,then its all done and dusted……..i get the feeling we will see how hard our players smash him on saturday, to determine what really has gone on
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jobo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:27 pm

I just don’t like it Mike. Racism works both ways IMO but that’s just me I suppose.

We are told we can’t fly the Union Jack or an England flag at our homes in case it upsets someone! Can you imagine telling patriotic Americans they can’t fly the Star Spangled Banner outside their homes?

We, as English, are always worried about upsetting others with no regard about how it upsets us.

The world is just bloody crazy & I hate being a part of it now if truth be known!
Josie, not having a go at you and I understand your views but who has ever said you can't fly the Union flag or England flag?

Is it just that you feel if you were to do so, you would be singled out?
No offence, but a few years ago councils stopped flying the flag because it caused offence & I heard about a few people where they had to take down our national flags.

A new ruling where all public buildings are to fly the Union Flag at all times was only updated in March this year.

Anyway this is going off topic. Hope you are well John 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Mike wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:22 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:25 am
DaveO wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:41 pm
Hard to say why there was nothing from Clubb but the window of opportunity to say anything was short. Savelio was all over the media with his claim and Clubb could have reacted instantly but soon after it was a disciplinary issue and it’s virtually unheard of for a player facing a potential disciplinary charge to comment publicly.

Wigan could have also banned him from commenting.

Whether his silence put him at a disadvantage we don’t know.

The QC and the panel had to make a judgement without the benefit of any recording but it’s not unusual for judgements to be made based on the balance of probabilities.
Sorry but that is simply not true.
If they'd deemed this to be not worth a suspension, what would that decision have been taken on? Certainty?
The burden of proof is always on the party asserting the allegation, is it not?
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Mike wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:20 am

Why josie? Racism and lack of equality aren't a problem?

Josie i agree i am Welsh and i have no issue with anyone waving either union jack or the George cross. There is an issue with waving it for us Welsh we are not represented on it. But does not bother me but a few i know eill take an issue for something that happened in 1707. Petty ppl are everywhere
Fujiman

Re: Tony Clubb

Post by Fujiman »

Dan2266 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:39 pm https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/05/ ... ony-clubb/

Against racism to the tune of 2 weeks wages? I'm disappointed with the club to be honest.

Doesn't send out a good message does it.
I think the article says a further two weeks wages. Could it then mean 10 weeks wages in total?