Clubb suspended

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Clubb suspended

Post by josie andrews »

The RFL has issued the detailed rationale for the decision of its Disciplinary Panel, chaired on Tuesday by His Honour Judge Guy Kearl QC (reported here), to ban Tony Clubb for racially abusing Hull FC player Andre Savelio.

https://www.totalrl.com/rfl-issues-reas ... lubb-case/

He’s going to get an extra ban for accusing someone from being from Warrington 😉😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:17 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:00 pm
ManxWarrior wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:41 pm https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... m-20542157

Includes Clubbs version of events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So he didn't admit to anything.

In that case the whole thing IS not only a joke, but wrong imo.

There MUST have been "reasonable doubt".
Like a stuck record.

You've had explanations and links to explain that, in all civil matters from motoring offences up, it's balance of probabilities that counts. Clubb was not on a criminal charge and he admitted the offence.

Don't you read posts other than your own, or are you just a wind-up merchant? It's actually becoming quite amusing reading your posts, along the lines of Monty Python's Holy Grail:

https://youtu.be/2f5MvVx8RM8
Thanks for the personal abuse. Very erudite.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

Clubb must have shares in the club Joel Thompkins was fired for much less, there is no consistency in our club. I worked out a ban of 8 weeks is for Clubb is about 60 minutes playing time for him . :roll: :roll: :roll:
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

ddtftf wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:03 am Clubb must have shares in the club Joel Thompkins was fired for much less, there is no consistency in our club. I worked out a ban of 8 weeks is for Clubb is about 60 minutes playing time for him . :roll: :roll: :roll:
lol
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

If its true what Tony said,and also what savelino alleged said i feel that the latter should have received a ban for his part in it,what a disgrace this judgment is all one sided.
Flash

Post by Flash »

josie andrews wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:10 am The RFL has issued the detailed rationale for the decision of its Disciplinary Panel, chaired on Tuesday by His Honour Judge Guy Kearl QC (reported here), to ban Tony Clubb for racially abusing Hull FC player Andre Savelio.

https://www.totalrl.com/rfl-issues-reas ... lubb-case/

He’s going to get an extra ban for accusing someone from being from Warrington 😉😉
I have to say I disagree with the panel's assertion that using the word "Polynesian" must have been in a racially offensive context. In Clubb's version it is exactly the opposite in that he is insinuating that being from Warrington is inferior to being Polynesian.

Moving this away to a less politically sensitive area, it would be like Jackson Hastings, having put his hand up to play for England, being told "you're not a pommy, you b*stard, You're from Australia". That is not being called a "pommy b*stard". In fact it's the complete opposite even though the words "pommy b*stard" were used.

If the panel accepted that Clubb is not a racist, accepted assertions to this effect from his Polynesian coach and Polynesian club captain and could see that he was clearly responding to something initially said by Sevalio, then the "balance of probabilities" suggests it wasn't a racist remark.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I'm not defending Tony Clubb because whichever form of words were used, it is a stupid and unnecessary thing to bring up someone's ethnicity. What I do find odd is the no one seems to have asked Savelio why he did not make his complaint immediately it was allegedly uttered. I've seen some comments that he apparently was going to 'sort it out on the field' but because Clubb was not on the field, he then complained to the referee.
I don't get that at all. If something said is so offensive, then I'd expect a player to stop the game instantly to make his complaint.
It's all very messy and it doesn't look like the tribunal has been very professional in its examination.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

It was a trial by Twitter instigated by Savelio. The guy should have gone through the proper sources, although I can fully understand his actions if he was so incensed.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:20 am It was a trial by Twitter instigated by Savelio. The guy should have gone through the proper sources, although I can fully understand his actions if he was so incensed.
I think he reported it to the "proper sources" some time before he went on twitter.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Flash

Post by Flash »

Mike wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:15 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:20 am It was a trial by Twitter instigated by Savelio. The guy should have gone through the proper sources, although I can fully understand his actions if he was so incensed.
I think he reported it to the "proper sources" some time before he went on twitter.
In which case he should have let those "proper channels" do their job before taking it to social media. Racism is serious. Accusations of racism are similarly serious. Social media is not the place to play it out.