Clubb suspended

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
No straw damn us

Re: Clubb suspended

Post by No straw damn us »

No straw damn us wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:45 pm There does not necessarily have to be any evidence.

See Section D2:26
https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/ ... html#p=192
As I said previously, look at that section, the judge and panel can make a decision without evidence.
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

The section you have referred to relates to the “Rules of Evidence”, for example admissibility of evidence, hearsay evidence etc., not the lack of evidence. In fact, accepted tribunal protocols remind Chairmen and Members that the more serious the charge, the more ‘cogent’ the evidence should be. The available evidence should be more convincing and clear.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

jobo

Post by jobo »

AncientWarrior wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:07 am The section you have referred to relates to the “Rules of Evidence”, for example admissibility of evidence, hearsay evidence etc., not the lack of evidence. In fact, accepted tribunal protocols remind Chairmen and Members that the more serious the charge, the more ‘cogent’ the evidence should be. The available evidence should be more convincing and clear.
Judging from the Chairmans comments, it would seem that Clubb admitted to it but in mitigation, said it was in the heat of the moment.
AncientWarrior

Post by AncientWarrior »

jobo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:20 am
AncientWarrior wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:07 am The section you have referred to relates to the “Rules of Evidence”, for example admissibility of evidence, hearsay evidence etc., not the lack of evidence. In fact, accepted tribunal protocols remind Chairmen and Members that the more serious the charge, the more ‘cogent’ the evidence should be. The available evidence should be more convincing and clear.
Judging from the Chairmans comments, it would seem that Clubb admitted to it but in mitigation, said it was in the heat of the moment.
It will be interesting to read the full judgement when it’s available.
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

Wigan_forever1985

Clubb banned for 8 games

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:28 am
Mike wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:20 am
josie andrews wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:20 pm When are players going to stop this “take the knee?”

I don’t think there is a need for it especially when players raise their arm & make fist!
Why josie? Racism and lack of equality aren't a problem?
And at present what is this action achieving?

Nothing hard come from it has it unless I’ve missed something,rascism is a much larger problem as we know that to boil it down to this.
The sport should only take action on racism if that action solves the issue? Just do nothing at all until then?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

josie andrews wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:04 am
Mike wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:20 am

Why josie? Racism and lack of equality aren't a problem?
I just don’t like it Mike. Racism works both ways IMO but that’s just me I suppose.

We are told we can’t fly the Union Jack or an England flag at our homes in case it upsets someone! Can you imagine telling patriotic Americans they can’t fly the Star Spangled Banner outside their homes?

We, as English, are always worried about upsetting others with no regard about how it upsets us.

The world is just bloody crazy & I hate being a part of it now if truth be known!
Sounds a bit like you don't think racism exists? Or that you're as victimised as everyone else, so equality has been achieved?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Wintergreen wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:25 am
DaveO wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:41 pm
fozzieskem wrote:
I agree with you,as the weekend dragged on and no word coming from Clubb I felt it was going to end like this,becuase club or no club if someone accused me and I hadn't said it id have been on the phone to a lawyer or some sort,regardless of what the club had told me to do.
Hard to say why there was nothing from Clubb but the window of opportunity to say anything was short. Savelio was all over the media with his claim and Clubb could have reacted instantly but soon after it was a disciplinary issue and it’s virtually unheard of for a player facing a potential disciplinary charge to comment publicly.

Wigan could have also banned him from commenting.

Whether his silence put him at a disadvantage we don’t know.

The QC and the panel had to make a judgement without the benefit of any recording but it’s not unusual for judgements to be made based on the balance of probabilities.
Sorry but that is simply not true.
If they'd deemed this to be not worth a suspension, what would that decision have been taken on? Certainty?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dan2266

Tony Clubb

Post by Dan2266 »

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/05/ ... ony-clubb/

Against racism to the tune of 2 weeks wages? I'm disappointed with the club to be honest.

Doesn't send out a good message does it.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Tony Clubb

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Following the outcome of the RFL Tribunal regarding Tony Clubb on 4th May 2021, the Wigan Club has also completed its internal investigation into the incident.
Wigan Warriors is committed to standing firm against all types of discrimination and abuse and prides itself on Rugby League’s core values of inclusion and respect amongst the participants. The Club accepts and agrees with the verdict of His Honour Judge Guy Kearl QC in the tribunal that “the words used by Tony Clubb were ethnically offensive”.

The Club also accepts Judge Kearl’s findings that “Tony Clubb is not a racist, but on this occasion, he used unacceptable language in the heat of the moment”.

During the RFL investigation, character references were provided by other players and coaches at Wigan, including head coach, Adrian Lam, and club captain, Thomas Leuluai, providing full support to the Judge’s findings that Tony Clubb is not a racist. The Club also recognises that Tony has expressed remorse for the comments he made and understands that they are unacceptable.

Nevertheless, the Club finds unequivocally that the language used by Tony on this occasion is unacceptable and that abuse with reference to a person’s ethnicity has no place on a rugby pitch or in society. As a result, the Club’s disciplinary process has found that a further sanction to that issued by the Tribunal is appropriate and warranted.

The Wigan Club confirm, therefore, that Tony will be fined a further two weeks wages which will be put towards a dedicated education and diversity training programme through the Club’s Education and Community departments specifically targeted against abuse based on ethnicity.

The Club carefully considered these sanctions in light of the severity of the offence, and we believe that furthering education and improving the understanding of race, ethnicity, what constitutes unacceptable language and why it is unacceptable is ultimately how this form of abuse will be eradicated from society.

We welcome wider discussions about societal issues within the game in a protective and constructive forum.

Following the outcome of this disciplinary process, it is confirmed that Tony Clubb’s suspension has been lifted and he will return to training with the first team whilst serving his 8-match ban from playing.