Clubb suspended

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Clubb suspended

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Mike wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:01 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:12 pm
Mike wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:17 am

So what should the sport do then?
It’s a waste of time the sport doing anything if our leaders cannot walk the walk. It might help if they set an example. The last time I looked they didn’t get treated as harshly as Clubb, what does that say about our society?
You've lost me
Politicians 😩
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:50 pm
Mike wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:17 am
fozzieskem wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:04 pm

At first it was effective but much like,for instance the ice bucket challenge do it too often and it’s effect is lessened which is clearly happening.

It has to evolve and try to keep ahead of the curve because wether you believe it or not sport has tackled racism and tackled it well compared to the doom days of the 70s and ‘80’s,is it perfect no of course it isn’t but as I say the issue is much bigger than another “fad” (and I use that term because I can’t think of a better one”.
So what should the sport do then?
Educate,educate and more education,I was listening to the 40/20 podcast and Phil Caplin put forward something which I think it’s much better than a ban and that’s for the two of them to get together and talk about the incident,(well worth a listen as he puts it across far better than I )

Meaningless slogans because it’s the latest hip and trendy way to do it isn’t working it never has,education works and has been working just not,perhaps as fast as we’d all like
Perhaps we should send him on the Chinese education course for Uyghurs.
ddtftf

Post by ddtftf »

I recon a Hull player will have a big red cross on his back on Saturday :? :? :?
Jonathon Kerr (JK)

Post by Jonathon Kerr (JK) »

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... m-20542157

Includes Clubbs version of events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

ManxWarrior wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:41 pm https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... m-20542157

So he didn't admit to anything.

In that case the whole thing IS not only a joke, but wrong imo.

There MUST have been "reasonable doubt".
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

Wintergreen wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:00 pm
ManxWarrior wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:41 pm https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... m-20542157

If that is the fact why is Savelio not on a charge for abusing Clubb. As ddtdtf said someone has an arrow on him.

Thing now is a joke.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

You could tell Clubb was retaliating to something because he was walking away from the tackle & then turned round to respond!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Wintergreen wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:00 pm

Like a stuck record.

You've had explanations and links to explain that, in all civil matters from motoring offences up, it's balance of probabilities that counts. Clubb was not on a criminal charge and he admitted the offence.

Don't you read posts other than your own, or are you just a wind-up merchant? It's actually becoming quite amusing reading your posts, along the lines of Monty Python's Holy Grail:

https://youtu.be/2f5MvVx8RM8
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Mike wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:03 am I'd say that the discussion here shows that,assuming we're representative, Wigan supporters are overwhelmingly non-racist.

Yes, our views differ from "sack Clubb" to "Savelio should just ignore", but nowhere have I read a post that comes across even as closet racism.
There's one right there.
Mike, whilst you could be right, it's also possible that people say "I was called names like Yorkshire Pudding/speccy 4 eyes etc, and learnt to ignore it" and genuinely think they're giving reasonable advice to Savelio or people of non-white ethnic origin. That they've not fully considered the difference between petty, childish name-calling and the constant prejudice that many people endure because of their skin
colour or race.

I would love to see all racism eradicated, but accept that my own understanding has developed through experience and reading over many years. We're all at different points on that process. For example only recently did I come to understand that "coloured" can cause offence, but "of colour" is acceptable. (This may largely be because of usage in the US and S Africa but seems to apply here too). If I'd used the word "coloured" and offended someone, it would surely be better for them to accept that I could be acting in good faith, albeit in ignorance too, and explain the nuances. However, if they accuse me of racism, I'm likely to try to justify or defend myself rather than listen and learn.

I've no doubt that some racists have used the line "White lives matter too" or "All lives matter" as a response to the "Black Lives Matter" movement. But equally, some fair-minded people will have responded that way, not realising that "Black Lives Matter" doesn't deny this, but needs stating because so many act as though they don't to an infinitely greater extent than for white lives.

As Fozzie said above, it's education that's needed. Accepting that the vast majority of Wigan fans say what they do in good faith, but discussing the issues openly here, can only contribute to that process of education. Labelling everyone who disagrees with us as racists, or attacking views or statements which may be capable of being misunderstood, will only fan the flames.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
mickali1

Post by mickali1 »

morley pie eater wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 pm
Mike wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:09 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:03 am I'd say that the discussion here shows that,assuming we're representative, Wigan supporters are overwhelmingly non-racist.

Yes, our views differ from "sack Clubb" to "Savelio should just ignore", but nowhere have I read a post that comes across even as closet racism.
There's one right there.
Mike, whilst you could be right, it's also possible that people say "I was called names like Yorkshire Pudding/speccy 4 eyes etc, and learnt to ignore it" and genuinely think they're giving reasonable advice to Savelio or people of non-white ethnic origin. That they've not fully considered the difference between petty, childish name-calling and the constant prejudice that many people endure because of their skin
colour or race.

I would love to see all racism eradicated, but accept that my own understanding has developed through experience and reading over many years. We're all at different points on that process. For example only recently did I come to understand that "coloured" can cause offence, but "of colour" is acceptable. (This may largely be because of usage in the US and S Africa but seems to apply here too). If I'd used the word "coloured" and offended someone, it would surely be better for them to accept that I could be acting in good faith, albeit in ignorance too, and explain the nuances. However, if they accuse me of racism, I'm likely to try to justify or defend myself rather than listen and learn.

I've no doubt that some racists have used the line "White lives matter too" or "All lives matter" as a response to the "Black Lives Matter" movement. But equally, some fair-minded people will have responded that way, not realising that "Black Lives Matter" doesn't deny this, but needs stating because so many act as though they don't to an infinitely greater extent than for white lives.

As Fozzie said above, it's education that's needed. Accepting that the vast majority of Wigan fans say what they do in good faith, but discussing the issues openly here, can only contribute to that process of education. Labelling everyone who disagrees with us as racists, or attacking views or statements which may be capable of being misunderstood, will only fan the flames.
Absolutely spot on! Well said Morley.