Canberra Raiders 'don't want to lose' homesick George Williams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Canberra Raiders 'don't want to lose' homesick George Williams

Post by josie andrews »

Who is leaking that?’: Bateman blasts Raiders, delivers Williams warning

John Bateman has called out unnamed Raiders officials for leaking information about internal problems and undermining the playing group.

Bateman left Canberra at the end of last season to instead play for Wigan in the Super League after helping inspire the Raiders to a preliminary final finish in 2020.

His absence has been pinpointed as one of the key factors in Canberra’s slide, with Ricky Stuart’s men currently sitting in 12th position and on a five-game losing run.

Winning can often be the cure for everything but the team is coming under growing scrutiny and examination as their fall down the ladder continues.

Already Josh Hodgson has stepped down from the co-captaincy a fortnight ago and there have been reports of potential approaches from rival clubs.

George Williams is also homesick while Joseph Tapine’s wife has taken aim at Stuart on social media.

Now Bateman has revealed to the Sydney Morning Heraldthat there were times during his playing career that he confronted Stuart over the belief that club officials were undermining the players.

“I don’t understand how you’re told to keep things internally but the next minute you’ve got [journalists] chatting about it within 24 hours of what’s been said at the club,” Bateman told the Herald.

“I had a conversation with Ricky before and he told me it wasn’t him. I asked him about my situation.

“I asked him where all these stories were coming from and he said, ‘I’m not too sure, it might be your management’. You’d love to know, wouldn’t you? You can get over it when it’s once. When it’s two or three times, you’re like, ‘Come on, what’s going on here?’

“You ask yourself, ‘Who is leaking that stuff out?”

Bateman has also urged the club to strongly consider releasing Williams, warning he will not perform to his potential if he does not want to stay.

“He wants to be somewhere else totally different. If he’s not happy, you’re not going to get the best out of him,” Bateman added.

He does though understand the business side of it and why Canberra would be reluctant to let him leave yet.

The Raiders released a statement on Williams last week, confirming that he is having issues with being separated from his family and friends in England.

“The Raiders will continue to offer George and his partner all the support they need, and George has confirmed he remains committed to the club,” the club added.

Williams had a try assist, linebreak assist and forced two dropouts on the weekend in a 24-16 defeat to the Knights.

As for Hodgson, the Raiders hooker also said he is “fully committed to the club”.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 416716f72e
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

I might be wrong but it looks to me like raiders tactics to unsettle players seems to be backfiring……. It seems like the players they have think they can be tapped up just like the raiders do with ither clubs players….. a contract doesnt seem to be worth anything these days…… hopefully sutton will be coming back soon also
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Firestarter wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:24 am I might be wrong but it looks to me like raiders tactics to unsettle players seems to be backfiring……. It seems like the players they have think they can be tapped up just like the raiders do with ither clubs players….. a contract doesnt seem to be worth anything these days…… hopefully sutton will be coming back soon also
You're not wrong... :lol: About time the NRL Clubs felt the pain of their stars being unsettled or distracted. No sympathy what so ever for them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Firestarter wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:24 am I might be wrong but it looks to me like raiders tactics to unsettle players seems to be backfiring……. It seems like the players they have think they can be tapped up just like the raiders do with ither clubs players….. a contract doesnt seem to be worth anything these days…… hopefully sutton will be coming back soon also
I always felt Sutton used Wigan purely as a stepping stone to the NRL,I doubt t he will ever come back to be honest and good luck to him
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:20 pm
I always felt Sutton used Wigan purely as a stepping stone to the NRL,I doubt t he will ever come back to be honest and good luck to him
How have you come to that conclusion?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

nathan_rugby wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:42 pm
Because as soon as his contract was up he was off that conclusion
moto748

Post by moto748 »

The sense I get about all this is that all is not well in the Raiders dressing-room. It just looks like Sticky has lost them a bit.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

fozzieskem wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:48 pm
nathan_rugby wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:42 pm

Because as soon as his contract was up he was off that conclusion
That does not mean he used Wigan as a stepping stone at all.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

George Williams saga takes yet another turn

Canberra have made it abundantly clear that George Williams will not be exiting the club early, unless they can find a replacement of similar quality, the West Australian has reported.

The former Wigan halfback approached the Raiders last month about potentially leaving because of homesickness and the fact his partner is expecting their first child.

Canberra chief executive Don Furner has said they will not budge until a top-quality halfback could be sourced for 2022 and beyond. But, Furner and head coach Ricky Stuart have had no interest in those already been offered to the Raiders.

George remains a highly valued member of our team, he’s been honest and up-front with us, and we have been with him,” Furner remarked.

“We’ll put everything in place to make sure he can get through this, and hopefully this time next year we’re in a position to extend (his Canberra contract).”

Both former club Wigan and Warrington are said to be chasing Williams, so it will be interesting to see what happens next.

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/george-w ... urn-39340/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Don't think he will. He seems perfectly happy over there.

Just goes to show, if Williams is unsettled, not everyone is suited to upping sticks and moving to a different country.

I think you have to do it beyond just going for the job. Pat Richards is the perfect example of a player who used the opportunity the sport afforded him to come and sample life in the UK and Europe . He'd just won a GF in Australia yet decided he fancied sampling life outside of the country which is my understanding was one of his main motivations for coming over.

If you go to another country without being excited and keen to see that country you will soon be homesick.

I have been lucky enough to travel with my job and I was once in Hong Kong installing a computer system at the Hong Kong stock exchange with a colleague from Liverpool. He took a dislike to the place more or less as he got off the plane, was instantly homesick and didn't venture out much at all. On the way back to the UK I dragged him to see Hong Kong Harbour and his comment was "It's not like the Mersey is it". You just never know how travel will affect people.

The other factor with Williams is Canberra is not Sydney or even Melbourne. I know he will travel with the team to other locations with the team but he is based in a place that is a bit dull in comparison. Sutton on the other hand seems quite happy.