Canberra Raiders 'don't want to lose' homesick George Williams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
moto748

Re: Canberra Raiders 'don't want to lose' homesick George Williams

Post by moto748 »

Not for the first team.
Intheknow

Post by Intheknow »

he's loving it and doing really well in a strong reserve side.
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Not cut and dried that Williams will return to Wigan. No doubt Wire will be after him as well when Austin and Widdop return home. Wire always seem to have deep pockets.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Sensible' for Wigan Warriors to talk to homesick George Williams, says Adrian Lam

Adrian Lam believes Wigan would be interested in luring George Williams home if he leaves Canberra early.

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has confirmed the England halfback is homesick.

He wants to put support in place for Williams and his pregnant partner Charlotte with the hope he sees out the remaining 18-months of his deal with the NRL club.

But with Jackson Hastings leaving Wigan at the end of this year to join Wests, and Thomas Leuluai possibly retiring, he has inevitably been linked with a return to his hometown club.

Asked if he thought the Warriors would be interested if Williams was available for 2022, Lam replied: "Of course, he's a Wigan lad, and I knew he'd miss home at some stage because his close friends are here and he's ingrained into the club here.

"It makes sense as a club we'll be talking to him and we'll see what happens from there."

News Williams is homesick emerged as his close pal and former team-mate Oliver Gildart is once again attracting interest from the NRL, with Michael Maguire's Wests thought to be leading the hunt for the England centre.

I know he has a dream of playing in the NRL, that's been clear," said Lam. "As it stands he's off-contract with us at the end of the year, there's always going to be interest and if he decides to go down that path of joining the NRL, there's not much we can do about it as a club.

But he brings a lot to us as a team, we're looking forward to having him back, his head is in a good place, he's not talking to any NRL clubs at the moment, I think it's the management group which do the negotiations and put the feelers out there."

Gildart has yet to play this year because of a troubling groin injury but could return within the next two weeks.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... am-3225545
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I hope we get George back to partner Harry Smith. But it's essential that he's used properly. I don't watch NRL games, but get the impression that George has been used much more effectively over there than he was here.

It may be a case of a coach trying to fit players to his plan rather than fitting his plan to the players?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:35 pm I hope we get George back to partner Harry Smith. But it's essential that he's used properly. I don't watch NRL games, but get the impression that George has been used much more effectively over there than he was here.

It may be a case of a coach trying to fit players to his plan rather than fitting his plan to the players?
Hes been fantastic over there morley playing at seven…… i think he has matured and doesnt try and do it all anymore…… hes been mainly attacking down the right edge at canberra which proves hes an all rounder…… ide play him at first receiver at wigan with harry at second…… harrys long kicking game and georges short one gives us some great attacking options……. Ide personally love to have him back and think he will learn a lot more off lammy than he did off wane( as he did off stuart)…… nothing against waney but the other two were excellent sevens also
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Firestarter wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:59 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:35 pm I hope we get George back to partner Harry Smith. But it's essential that he's used properly. I don't watch NRL games, but get the impression that George has been used much more effectively over there than he was here.

Hes been fantastic over there morley playing at seven…… i think he has matured and doesnt try and do it all anymore…… hes been mainly attacking down the right edge at canberra which proves hes an all rounder…… ide play him at first receiver at wigan with harry at second…… harrys long kicking game and georges short one gives us some great attacking options……. Ide personally love to have him back and think he will learn a lot more off lammy than he did off wane( as he did off stuart)…… nothing against waney but the other two were excellent sevens also
Thanks FS. I gathered from the reviews that he'd done well, but good to hear it confirmed.

I think Lammy could get the best out of him, though it's not automatically true just because he was a 7. I remember going to Headingley for an academy GF, hoping to see the legendary Rocky who certain posters rated very highly. MoM was a certain George Williams!
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:57 pm
Firestarter wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:59 pm

Thanks FS. I gathered from the reviews that he'd done well, but good to hear it confirmed.

I think Lammy could get the best out of him, though it's not automatically true just because he was a 7. I remember going to Headingley for an academy GF, hoping to see the legendary Rocky who certain posters rated very highly. MoM was a certain George Williams!
I was there for that 😊 I have hardly missed an Academy GF. I have a picture I took of the victorious Wigan Warriors Academy Team

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0eehhTw ... MEtPISF-Lg

George Williams & Connor Farrell 😊

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0STLbh7 ... cLdpFl48yg
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Warrington bound according to the Canberra Times. No doubt will offer more than Wigan.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

warriors01 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:11 am Warrington bound according to the Canberra Times. No doubt will offer more than Wigan.
It states warrington are in the driving seat but im sure wigan will up the anti once it’s official……. We have first refusal and i get the feeling that its our club the put the thought of him returning in his head…… as well as his homesickness obviously
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE