Canberra Raiders 'don't want to lose' homesick George Williams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Canberra Raiders 'don't want to lose' homesick George Williams

Post by Firestarter »

DaveO wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:03 pm
Firestarter wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:24 am I might be wrong but it looks to me like raiders tactics to unsettle players seems to be backfiring……. It seems like the players they have think they can be tapped up just like the raiders do with ither clubs players….. a contract doesnt seem to be worth anything these days…… hopefully sutton will be coming back soon also
Don't think he will. He seems perfectly happy over there.

Just goes to show, if Williams is unsettled, not everyone is suited to upping sticks and moving to a different country.

I think you have to do it beyond just going for the job. Pat Richards is the perfect example of a player who used the opportunity the sport afforded him to come and sample life in the UK and Europe . He'd just won a GF in Australia yet decided he fancied sampling life outside of the country which is my understanding was one of his main motivations for coming over.

If you go to another country without being excited and keen to see that country you will soon be homesick.

I have been lucky enough to travel with my job and I was once in Hong Kong installing a computer system at the Hong Kong stock exchange with a colleague from Liverpool. He took a dislike to the place more or less as he got off the plane, was instantly homesick and didn't venture out much at all. On the way back to the UK I dragged him to see Hong Kong Harbour and his comment was "It's not like the Mersey is it". You just never know how travel will affect people.

The other factor with Williams is Canberra is not Sydney or even Melbourne. I know he will travel with the team to other locations with the team but he is based in a place that is a bit dull in comparison. Sutton on the other hand seems quite happy.
Fair enough davo….. everybody to there own…… how could he not like hong kong? Its one of the most amazing cities ive ever seen
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Firestarter wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:23 pm
DaveO wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:03 pm
Firestarter wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:24 am I might be wrong but it looks to me like raiders tactics to unsettle players seems to be backfiring……. It seems like the players they have think they can be tapped up just like the raiders do with ither clubs players….. a contract doesnt seem to be worth anything these days…… hopefully sutton will be coming back soon also
Don't think he will. He seems perfectly happy over there.

Just goes to show, if Williams is unsettled, not everyone is suited to upping sticks and moving to a different country.

I think you have to do it beyond just going for the job. Pat Richards is the perfect example of a player who used the opportunity the sport afforded him to come and sample life in the UK and Europe . He'd just won a GF in Australia yet decided he fancied sampling life outside of the country which is my understanding was one of his main motivations for coming over.

If you go to another country without being excited and keen to see that country you will soon be homesick.

I have been lucky enough to travel with my job and I was once in Hong Kong installing a computer system at the Hong Kong stock exchange with a colleague from Liverpool. He took a dislike to the place more or less as he got off the plane, was instantly homesick and didn't venture out much at all. On the way back to the UK I dragged him to see Hong Kong Harbour and his comment was "It's not like the Mersey is it". You just never know how travel will affect people.

The other factor with Williams is Canberra is not Sydney or even Melbourne. I know he will travel with the team to other locations with the team but he is based in a place that is a bit dull in comparison. Sutton on the other hand seems quite happy.
Fair enough davo….. everybody to there own…… how could he not like hong kong? Its one of the most amazing cities ive ever seen
Sutty and George are different animals. It wouldn’t matter where George was in Australia he would still be yearning for England and more specifically Wigan.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

After going australia a few times I understand players wanting to play for the nsw and queensland based teams but never understood canberra and possibly melbourne to some extent
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I never got the sense that Townsville was much of a happening place! :lol:

It just makes me laugh how Aussies moan about the weather in Canberra as if it's the South Pole!
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I've never been to Australia.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

The missus cousins lived in townsville…… never went but it is supposed be quiet…… cairns or darwin are great places to go in North Queensland
ian.birchall

Post by ian.birchall »

Firestarter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:08 am The missus cousins lived in townsville…… never went but it is supposed be quiet…… cairns or darwin are great places to go in North Queensland
All I know about Townsville is that Roger Birchall swept the streets there for 10 days in 1988 as a CTS (Commonwealth Training Scheme), the Oz version of YTS, when he went to Australia for 3 months twixt 6th form and Uni and managed to be in Sydney for the third test where Hendy left Gary Jack in his wake and the commentators famous remark of 'Bye Bye Gary Jack'.
Regarder une fille en bikini, c'est comme avoir un revolver chargé sur sa table:
Il n'y a rien de mal a ça mais il est difficile de penser à autre chose.

Now Europe is just for holidays.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Please keep on topic & not about holidays or travel destinations please!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Stop killing the dream josie 😭😭😭
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Firestarter wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:56 pm Stop killing the dream josie 😭😭😭
Sorry forum rules 😊 I do let a lot go off topic btw 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan