Canberra Raiders 'don't want to lose' homesick George Williams

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Firestarter

Re: Canberra Raiders 'don't want to lose' homesick George Williams

Post by Firestarter »

The Yonner wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:36 am I agree with Medlocke.

I can't think of any player who came back from a spell down under and was even the same as when he left let alone better. It's like the NRL takes something out of them.

Better to look at somebody new. Are we not interested in Blake Austin?
Meds as a point but would you seriously prefer austin than williams?
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I can't think of any player who came back from a spell down under and was even the same as when he left let alone better. It's like the NRL takes something out of them.

Zak hardakers better than when he left.

TL wasn't any worse.

Sarge came back the same.

I think it's more down to the games being slightly different and the fact that SLs top teams are not as far behind NRL teams as people spout.

All these players that come back look amazing vs weaker teams but "struggle" vs the better ones.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:35 am

Zak hardakers better than when he left.

TL wasn't any worse.

Sarge came back the same.

I think it's more down to the games being slightly different and the fact that SLs top teams are not as far behind NRL teams as people spout.

All these players that come back look amazing vs weaker teams but "struggle" vs the better ones.
And some players used to go in our off season and still come back the same……. Hanley, offiah, bell, lydon, gregory, edwards, hampson, goodway………although the game has changed dramatically since then
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I think it might be slightly easier to look good in the NRL than here and some players drop off slightly because of that. Perhaps because the quialty of player is so consistently good, they can make your average plays work when the lesser SL players perhaps cant?

Bateman made a big splash in the NRL just out of being a very hard worker. He's come back and its not so obvious. I imagine Williams will return and be exactly the player he was when he left.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
HDS

Post by HDS »

There may have been some players not as effective when they come back from a stint in Australia.

But I think George at the age he is would be better then when he left, well worth the risk, and if Ryan Sutton fancied it I would have him back also.

I think John Bateman will come good early days yet.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I agree, in recent years, players have gone down under on fire and seem to return with a different style.

I'd take Williams back fore sure. For my money, we need a game manager and Williams has shown he can do this (at 7 more importantly), in an elite competition.

I would say this depends on how much faith the club have in putting the same responsibilities Jackson has currently on Smiths shoulders for next season and beyond. Smith has alot of potential indeed and I think he improves week on week.

Austin for Wigan, definitely not! Doesn't even make the Wire team unless injury creeps in. Williams to Wire, money talks and Wire like to throw it around!
warriors01

Post by warriors01 »

Even if George had been playing for us yesterday, we would have still lost because our front row were completely outplayed and until we get 2 big props to improve our go forward we will keep losing these type of games.
Unfortunately Williams is Wire bound. So suggest we spend the money on a couple of props and 2 centres as no doubt Gildart will try his hand at Nrl. No loss as he has hardly been on the field in the last 2 years.
The Yonner

Post by The Yonner »

We still need a replacement for Hastings though. And it's far from clear that Harry Smith will make the finished article.

I think we need an experienced playmaker with a good short and long kicking game, and yes I do think Blake Austin fits that role better than George.
stevo38

Post by stevo38 »

williams no doubt is playing well over there behind a good pack and very experienced players .put him back in the wigan team and he will struggle
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

warriors01 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:17 am Even if George had been playing for us yesterday, we would have still lost because our front row were completely outplayed and until we get 2 big props to improve our go forward we will keep losing these type of games.
Unfortunately Williams is Wire bound. So suggest we spend the money on a couple of props and 2 centres as no doubt Gildart will try his hand at Nrl. No loss as he has hardly been on the field in the last 2 years.
You have definite knowledge of this?
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan