Adrian Lam's Oliver Gildart admission as Wigan Warriors centre is linked with NRL move

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Adrian Lam's Oliver Gildart admission as Wigan Warriors centre is linked with NRL move

Post by josie andrews »

Gildart is off-contract and recently appointed a high-profile NRL agent.

Adrian Lam admits there is nothing Wigan can do if Oliver Gildart wishes to pursue his dream of playing in the NRL, hinting his management have ‘put the feelers out’ over a move to Australia next year.

Gildart has been heavily linked with a switch down under in 2022, with his Warriors contract expiring at the end of the current season.

Lam insisted on Wednesday that Wigan remain in daily conversations with the England centre about his future, and said while the player has not personally spoke to any NRL clubs, Wigan are powerless to prevent Gildart from moving if it is what he desires.

“There’s a couple of things about Oliver,” Lam said in his weekly pre-match press conference.

“ I know that he one day has a dream of playing in the NRL: that’s been clear from the start, since I arrived here.

“ He’s off-contract at the end of this year, he hasn’t played a game this season though he isn’t far away. There’s been interest from the NRL and if he decides to go down that route, there’s not much we can do about it.”

Lam continued: “He brings a lot to us as a team, and we’re looking forward to him coming back and improving us. We communicate with him every day, his head is in a good place and he’s not talking to any NRL clubs - that’s the management group that’s put the feelers out.

"Gilly is really happy with where he’s at right now, and we can’t wait for him to be back.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... l-20534561
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors' Oliver Gildart to join Wests Tigers

Post by josie andrews »

Oliver Gildart is heading to Wests Tigers next year.

The centre had been strongly linked with a move to Michael Maguire's outfit for 2022.

Now, Channel 9's Danny Weidler is reporting he has agreed to join the joint-venture and has told his Wigan team-mates about his pending exit.

Gildart - who has yet to play this year due to a groin injury - is out of contract at Wigan at the end of the year.

The 24-year-old has admitted in the past he would like to test himself in the NRL at some stage of his career, having seen close pals Ryan Sutton, Joe Burgess and George Williams all leave Wigan to play in Australia

There has been no confirmation from either club but Gildart's move to Wests is expected to be announced soon, in a move which will see him line-up alongside his current Wigan team-mate Jackson Hastings next year.

Warriors coach Adrian Lam said last week: "As it stands he's off-contract with us at the end of the year... and if he decides to go down that path of joining the NRL, there's not much we can do about it as a club."

An academy graduate, Gildart burst onto the scene in 2015 and won Grand Finals with his hometown club in '16 and '18, sandwiching a World Club Challenge triumph.

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... rs-3230912
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wintergreen

Re: Adrian Lam's Oliver Gildart admission as Wigan Warriors centre is linked with NRL move

Post by Wintergreen »

You snooze, you lose Josie ;) :lol:
fozzieskem

Re: Adrian Lam's Oliver Gildart admission as Wigan Warriors centre is linked with NRL move

Post by fozzieskem »

Good luck to him though I’d be shocked if Maguire is still there next year but time will tell,see him again in ‘24 no doubt
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wintergreen wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:47 pm You snooze, you lose Josie ;) :lol:
I was at the hospital for several hours regarding the shoulder operation I’ve had 😊
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Old news finally confirmed.
Hope he does well but I have my doubts.
No doubt Wigan will have him back if it doesn’t work out
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Don’t want to put a damper or criticise Ollie in any way but I feel he may be a little small compared to some centres & wingers in the NRL.

I may be wrong but that’s just my opinion.
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Straight swap for leilua???
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:00 pm
Wintergreen wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:47 pm You snooze, you lose Josie ;) :lol:
I was at the hospital for several hours regarding the shoulder operation I’ve had 😊
Did you injure it in a game Josie or was it done punching an cardboard cutout of D Powell? 👍😂. I hope things went well and you are on the mend.