21-man squad v Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: 21-man squad v Hull FC

Post by Caboosegg »

The booze hound wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:30 pm I'll have to say it, French's knock on under the sticks under no pressure at all is unforgivable and I also think he should have done better in the last seconds of the GF.
Which is why he is in SL.

However it's only when he was at fullback that we had any attack.

The kick through to manfredi and then failed last attack play where the only bits of teeth we showed all game.

Him and hardaker should share the role with one moving in if the other is struggling to make an impact like today.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

21-man squad v Hull FC

Post by DaveO »

So we exit the cup at the first difficult hurdle yet again.

Our recent record in this competition is just not good enough and it’s time IL looked at the year on year results and did something about it.

What can he do? Employ someone who isn’t a rookie coach who is only here because of the Edwards saga. It was the easy option and makes you wonder if he’s capable of enticing a top class coach to Wigan. Edwards reportedly lost interest when he couldn’t bring his fitness coach with him and would have had to put up with Wigan’s back room team post Bitcon.

No doubt some will point to the otherwise excellent start to the season but people need to realise there is a huge difference in winning those games and winning the games that matter of which Lam has won precisely zero.

It’s a different sport but you can see in football with Chelsea the difference a top class coach makes. Same squad as Lampard had but look a different team. Lam = Lampard.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

Every single thing I feared................ and more.
Hodgson learnt from last week - Lam didn't.
Hicks let Hull spoil all afternoon and gave up giving set restarts in the second half.
Our discipline (or lack of it) was evident - Smithies, Byrne etc.
Some players had poor games but that happens so it doesn't make Hardaker a bad player.
French didn't seem that interested until the last 5 minutes.
Every 3-man tackle saw a Wigan player on the wrong side and out of the game leaving a big hole down the middle.
Every team has a plan to counter Danny Houghton but apparently we didn't bother.
You could go on but there's no point. Nothing will change because what we saw today has been part of the Wigan game for ages and won't be addressed in training.

The key question to ask is what is Lam's record in important matches that matter?

The other question for the referee is why the Hull Player didn't get at least a yellow but probably a red for throwing the ball at Powell's face after Hull's first try. Expect the disciplinary committee to ignore it.
Warrior20

Post by Warrior20 »

What is Lams problem with Bullock. He played less then 20 minutes today. He’s our biggest and probably best prop but he is getting hardly any game time. Byrne had a shocker and played loads today. We desperately need another couple of props and a coach who knows what he’s doing.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:33 pm So we exit the cup at the first difficult hurdle yet again.

Our recent record in this competition is just not good enough and it’s time IL looked at the year on year results and did something about it.

What can he do? Employ someone who isn’t a rookie coach who is only here because of the Edwards saga. It was the easy option and makes you wonder if he’s capable of enticing a top class coach to Wigan. Edwards reportedly lost interest when he couldn’t bring his fitness coach with him and would have had to put up with Wigan’s back room team post Bitcon.

No doubt some will point to the otherwise excellent start to the season but people need to realise there is a huge difference in winning those games and winning the games that matter of which Lam has won precisely zero.

It’s a different sport but you can see in football with Chelsea the difference a top class coach makes. Same squad as Lampard had but look a different team. Lam = Lampard.
I'm sorry DaveO, but wigans Fitness has been the main thing allowing us to win games this season and it wasn't the issue today either.

Our backroom staff continue to do a top notch Job.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

I knew french could be dubious under the high ball, it’s his flair in attack that we look forward to.
Shoot me down but I’ve always said Byrne, partington and Harvard don’t make the hard yards, it’s hit and stop at the defensive line. They work well in defence but we need more going forward from them.
Our discipline today was awful, we gave some really bad penalties away
Shaun1967

Post by Shaun1967 »

There are two Zak Hardakers:
One who keeps his head down and plays rugby, and one who gets his name in the headlines.
It’s been noticeable how his performances have changed since he got himself in the headlines again over the last couple of weeks.
“Usually the fans that abuse players like Sam have never done anything of any note themselves. They’re nobodies, whose greatest claim to fame is abusing someone who has, and these so-called ‘Eddie the Experts’ pretend to their mates that they have."

WALLY LEWIS
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:33 pm So we exit the cup at the first difficult hurdle yet again.

I'm sorry DaveO, but wigans Fitness has been the main thing allowing us to win games this season and it wasn't the issue today either.

Our backroom staff continue to do a top notch Job.
I didn’t make any comment re the actual fitness of the players fitness other than Edwards wasn’t allowed to bring his own team and would have it to put up with what was here so was a reason for Edwards not to come.

In any case the main point of my post is hardly that it it!
Flash

Post by Flash »

medlocke wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:20 pm Byrne is shit as piss, Please move him on
A one legged man could kick more goals than Hardaker, Please try and find one and sign him
Powel has reverted back to be his former self
Either move French back to Fullback or send him home
When will Lenagan put his hand in his pocket and spring for 2 props that can consistently break tackles
We really are missing Lockers

FFS I've seen better passes from Joey Deacon :evil:
:shock:
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

ian.birchall wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:24 pm Looks like Manfredi hasn't lost much speed at least. Hull learnt from Stains the number of times they went down with 'injuries' and got time to reset their defence.
Disgusting.

I remember when the commentators used to make a point that in RL the game goes on despite injuries.

Something needs to be done.